Author Topic: Weird Mail  (Read 5042 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Weird Mail
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
Possibly something like this?  http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/19980228  (Alien learns to drive car by playing computer games...)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
My newspaper bill used to come to me addressed "Mr Hermanne Lastname". Don't know how that happened, as I have a very feminine name, nor why it took more than one call to CS to straighten it out.  ::)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
When I first moved into my apartment, I was getting letters for the previous tenant... from the IRS. With lots of big red letters on it. I kept returning the letters with a note on the envelop ("no longer at this address") and finally after months of this it stopped. I'm wondering if the IRS called the landlord and finally believed that he didn't live there anymore.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
My newspaper bill used to come to me addressed "Mr Hermanne Lastname". Don't know how that happened, as I have a very feminine name, nor why it took more than one call to CS to straighten it out.  ::)

The problem is the database. The computer really has no idea of male vs female names, so one slip of a data-entry clerk's fingers, and you're a him, not a her. And although it only takes one more stroke of the finger to fix, someone has to do it. I figure that the CS person puts it on a list or a note, and gives it to someone to "take care of when you have the time." And we know when that's going to be.

Be glad it's nothing worse than a gender change. I remember a story about someone whose records got crossed with his brother, who was a career criminal. It took him two years, and the threat of legal action, before one government department made a fix. Said fix took 5 minutes to perform, but they were waiting "until we had the time".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."