Author Topic: Last Year's Snowmageddon  (Read 1514 times)

swamp monster

Last Year's Snowmageddon
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
All those threads about parking and snow removal made me realize that I've got some awesome neighbors! Last year, when we got blasted by a massive snow storm, my poor car ended up sitting in a 4 ft snowdrift (in between the accumulation, plowing, and the wind blowing "just right"). I had to somehow get myself out and since I don't own an actual shovel (we hardly ever get much snow in this part of the country), I rounded up my trusty dustpan and headed outside. After about an hour of nonstop digging, I'd managed to clear out all of two wheels and still had a looong way to go.

All of a sudden, this very nice, middle-aged gentleman came out with a shovel and basically dug out the car for me!  :D (I helped, as much as I could.) Since I live in an apartment building, turns out that he'd seen me doing battle with the snow out of his window, felt bad and decided to help! I thanked him profusely and got him a nice thank you card and a small gift card from our local grocery store.

This year, I bought a proper snow scraper. However, as I was cleaning out my car last week (we got a little bit of snow), the handle on the darned thing broke. So, I gritted my teeth, looked through the car for something else to use, but the only thing I could find was a roll of paper towels. As I was scraping off the snow with said paper towel (and freezing my patootie in the process), another nice neighbor pulled up next to me and let me use her scraper.

There are a couple of other occasions that come to mind, but, in my experience, snow actually tends to bring out the good in people.

Ms_Shell

Re: Last Year's Snowmageddon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
There are a couple of other occasions that come to mind, but, in my experience, snow actually tends to bring out the good in people.

See, that's why you should move to Wisconsin! ;D All the snow you can handle and awesome people to boot.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

swamp monster

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
Don't tempt me, missy  ;) I might just take you up on it. Remember how much I love cheese?

Ms_Shell

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:55 PM »
Don't tempt me, missy  ;) I might just take you up on it. Remember how much I love cheese?

Guess what I have!  *holds up wheel of brie*  >:D

Oh, and in a pinch, I've used my driver's license to scrape ice off my windows before.  It worked fairly well although my hands almost froze off.   
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

swamp monster

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »
Oh no, you did not just pull the brie card! *Googling how long it'll take to drive up to Wisconsin* If I set off now, I should be on your doorstep some time tomorrow evening.  ;D

Yup, I hear you on the cc. I've had to MacGyver plenty of snow-removal implements over the years (for ex. an empty plastic cup), but the paper towels were a definite new low.

Mammavan3

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
Handy tip:  Do not use a golf club to clean off your windshield.  It will need to be replaced.

swamp monster

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
 ;D The club, the windshield, or both?

Silversurfer

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »
Thats a nice story.

I live in a place that has no snow at all, but sometimes fairly heavy frost. A lot of people have cracked their windshields by using hot water to melt the frost....  ??? silly people!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
When my boss's wife went into labour with her second child, boss went outside to get the car warmed up and scrape the windshield.

The scraper broke.  He frantically used his fingernails to scrape the windshield to drive his wife to the hospital - 30 minutes away.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario