Author Topic: Was Christina Aguilera rude?  (Read 15634 times)

Lexophile

Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
There have been many reports in the news today about how Christina Aguilera sang the wrong words to the National Anthem at the Superbowl yesterday. While I was personally appalled and insulted by it, I'm having problems determining whether it was actually rude. She says she's been singing the song since she was 7 years old and got caught up in the moment and forgot where she was - had to fudge so she didn't stop singing altogether and make it worse.

What would be the polite thing to do in a situation like this? I get the impression she maybe went into it without practicing and that, as a professional, she should have gotten it right. I feel that if it were one o fher own songs, maybe she wouldn't have flubbed it, but that's just my opinion. I would be interested in reading what other eHellions think.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
People get flustered, it happens.  I don't think it was rude. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
People get flustered, it happens.  I don't think it was rude. 

I hope it's not rude to make a mistake!  She made a mistake, it happens.  Fortunately, most of us don't make our mistakes in a quite so public an arena.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »
She explained and apologized for it.  I think that is all she had to do.  People make mistakes.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I feel for her. She has to be embarassed.  
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

kckgirl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
What I always think is rude is adding all the extra notes and trying to "stylize" a song that should be sung as written.
Maryland

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
People make mistakes; that's all it was.

If she had changed the lyrics intentionally, that would be rude.  If you object to singing "O'er the ramparts we watched/were so gallantly streaming," you shouldn't be singing the anthem :P

I sang the national anthem at football and basketball games throughout high school, both in a small group choir (8 part) and as a soloist.  Every time I stepped on the field, my mind went blank, and if I tried to think too hard about the words I'd flub it (fortunately that never happened when I was alone).  It's one of those things I've always had to just *go with and do*.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
Roseanne Barr was rude when she sang The National Anthem, and intentionally sang out of tune and then spit on the ground.

I can't say that Christina was. It sounds like she got flustered and tried to rebound. It does make me feel better to see that even the best of performers have stage fright too.

Lexophile

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »
See, I'm riding the fence because I know she apologized for the mistake, but part of me thinks if she was focused on the song and not on making all the extra runs, she would have had a better chance of not forgetting the words.

I also know she isn't the first to mess it up - but it's kind of an important song to forget when you are halfway through singing it. Granted, I'm not a professional singer, so I don't know what else I would have done better.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
See, I'm riding the fence because I know she apologized for the mistake, but part of me thinks if she was focused on the song and not on making all the extra runs, she would have had a better chance of not forgetting the words.

I also know she isn't the first to mess it up - but it's kind of an important song to forget when you are halfway through singing it. Granted, I'm not a professional singer, so I don't know what else I would have done better.

POD

The error wasn't rude, but making the song all about her ability to warble strikes me as inappropriate at best, if not exactly rude. Having changed the song she has a much higher obligation to perform credibly. Which she didn't.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
There have been many reports in the news today about how Christina Aguilera sang the wrong words to the National Anthem at the Superbowl yesterday. While I was personally appalled and insulted by it, I'm having problems determining whether it was actually rude. She says she's been singing the song since she was 7 years old and got caught up in the moment and forgot where she was - had to fudge so she didn't stop singing altogether and make it worse.

What would be the polite thing to do in a situation like this? I get the impression she maybe went into it without practicing and that, as a professional, she should have gotten it right. I feel that if it were one o fher own songs, maybe she wouldn't have flubbed it, but that's just my opinion. I would be interested in reading what other eHellions think.

You'd be shocked at how many times you can practice something and then screw it up.  Singing is a funny thing.  Same way you can hit a high note every time but when the world is watching--that's when you crack.

She made an unintentional mistake and apologized.  She's the one suffering the most from her goof.  I'm sure she would have preferred to nail it and do a terrific job.

I am a bit taken aback by the idea that a peformer can be rude just for not doing a great job.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Larrabee

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »

She does that whenever she sings anything though, I bet she doesn't have to concentrate on them too much.

I think the moment you realise you aren't 100% sure of the next line you're doomed, because you start to stress out, your mind goes completely blank and you have no chance of remembering it in time.  Repeating a previous line that fits the melody is the best solution, I've seen all sorts of performers do that, from pub bands to massive festival headliners.

I think this happens to all performers at some point, its just a shame for her that it happened at such a bad time.  

Larrabee

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

POD

The error wasn't rude, but making the song all about her ability to warble strikes me as inappropriate at best, if not exactly rude. Having changed the song she has a much higher obligation to perform credibly. Which she didn't.

I think you might want to blame the organisers for that though, if you book Christina Aguilera, you know you're going to get that CA style of singing.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Artists do their own interpretation of the song all the time.  I don't see that it's rude.  I realize it's our national antem & all, but the tune was originally for a drinking song.  If it wasn't rude to change the words to a drinking song, I don't think changing the tune a bit is all that outrageous.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »
This sort of thing happens all the time in live performances - dancers fall (saw a lead in the Bolshoi do it), actors forget a line, singers croak and so on. I feel for her, personally.