Author Topic: Was Christina Aguilera rude?  (Read 24987 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »
Not rude, but disrespectful IMHO.  She is a professional singer; she had an obligation to sing the song and know the words, rather than doing a bunch of silly runs and warbling.  I am so tired of singers trying to stylize our anthem into something it isn't.  Just sing it straight.  Perhaps if she had done so, she wouldn't have forgotten the words.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:49 PM »
See, I'm riding the fence because I know she apologized for the mistake, but part of me thinks if she was focused on the song and not on making all the extra runs, she would have had a better chance of not forgetting the words.

I also know she isn't the first to mess it up - but it's kind of an important song to forget when you are halfway through singing it. Granted, I'm not a professional singer, so I don't know what else I would have done better.

POD

The error wasn't rude, but making the song all about her ability to warble strikes me as inappropriate at best, if not exactly rude. Having changed the song she has a much higher obligation to perform credibly. Which she didn't.

I think you might want to blame the organisers for that though, if you book Christina Aguilera, you know you're going to get that CA style of singing.

No I blame her for choosing to alter the song, then failing to pay enough attention to perform it credibly. I might blame the organizers for encouraging this style of singing, but I blame her for failing to perform well.  

Well I blame her a little (and all the other pop stars that butcher the anthem) for feeling they can't with 37 pieces of vocal flair. But having made that decision I expect them to at least get the words right if they decide the notes are optional  :P

Lexophile

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I think that while it's pretty standard nowadays to change the song to fit a singing style, when you do that, you have to take the responsibility to be true to the song as well - especially if you are performing it for a televised event to a national audience.

It does no credit to you as a singer if you sound great in your own unique voice but you don't sing the words correctly. If she wanted to add the runs, well, I can live with that even if I don't like it or agree with it. I just think if you are going to do something like that, you have to pay attention to what you are doing.

Drinking song origins notwithstanding, the song is now our national anthem and deserves a little more respect than that.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
I was wondering how many people before last night actually knew the right words, or even noticed a mistake before it was all over the Internet.   I confess I  had to sing it through, and even look them up.  That was in my living room; I cannot imagine singing in front of the Super Bowl.

While I'm no fan of hers, I would guess that most of us have screwed up performing something in public, even as a child.  I know I have.

I think there's a difference between Roseanne mocking the anthem on purpose, and a professional singer making a mistake.  I also think anyone they hired would put their own "signature" on the song.  Christina's going to make it her own; Tina Turner would make it her version, etc.  (now that would be an interesting idea!)

gui

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
I was wondering how many people before last night actually knew the right words, or even noticed a mistake before it was all over the Internet.   I confess I  had to sing it through, and even look them up.  That was in my living room; I cannot imagine singing in front of the Super Bowl.

I realized it immediately. I usually sing it along in my head, and so it was very clear she didn't know the right words. And even if someone doesn't know the exact words, what she did sing didn't make sense and wasn't cohesive.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
While I'm no fan of hers, I would guess that most of us have screwed up performing something in public, even as a child.  I know I have.

As a child you probably were not being paid a performance fee. Screwing up in public and failing in your professional duties are not the same thing, even if they have some crossover. 

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »

I realized it immediately. I usually sing it along in my head, and so it was very clear she didn't know the right words. And even if someone doesn't know the exact words, what she did sing didn't make sense and wasn't cohesive.

I also noticed right away; but as I mentioned upthread, I've performed the national anthem more times than I can count.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »
Drinking song origins notwithstanding, the song is now our national anthem and deserves a little more respect than that.

All I'm saying is that if someone had to have a bit of a sense of humor to put a patriotic poem to the tune of a drinking song.  As far as giving the song respect, I grew up in KC and should you attend a Chiefs game, once they get to the "And the home of the...", the entire crowd shouts "CHIEFS!"  That's a purposeful change of the lyrics, so does that make the crowd rude?

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
Why are you so insulted by it OP? I think that's a little ungracious to assume that because someone made a mistake, even though they were making it thier own, doesn't have the proper respect for the National Anthem.

I flubbed up the National Anthem once.*

I sing it All. the. time. At sporting events. Local patriotic events. Even simple community events. I sing it straight. I don't add all the riffs and extra notes to make it my own ( I don't think it's rude, just not my style.) I know the song backwards and forwards as I have been singing it for years but I still practice it once before I go on, just in case. I have the utmost reverence and respect for it because I come from a very Military family and as such, am extremly patriotic. I also get paid to sing at these things sometimes so I guess that puts me in the "professional" category. I still flubbed it up. The words just fell out of my head and my nerves took over. It happens. I was mortified but I kept going, tried to find a safe phrase to get me back on track, and finished the song... just like Christina did. No one was "appalled and insulted by it", or accused me of not having the proper "respect" for it, at least, not that I know of. In fact, most people were impressed that I didn't just stop and start over or run off the platform crying in humiliation.

Most people have enough sense to realize that sometimes, nerves just take over, even in the most polished performers, and mistakes happen. I would hate to think someone was so insulted by my mistake that they would call me rude.  

*by the way, the National Anthem is actually recognized as one of the hardest songs to sing and sing well. It wasn't originally written to be a song. It has octave jumps all over the place, there is no real discernible rhythm or way to keep time singing it, and it doesn't have traditional rhyming like most songs have. And the notes on the high parts are out of most peoples vocal ranges unless they change the key and even still, it jumps so high that it can throw even the most well trained singers for a loop. I am usually impressed when someone gets through it at all!

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
I was mortified but I kept going, tried to find a safe phrase to get me back on track, and finished the song... just like Christina did. No one was "appalled and insulted by it", or accused me of not having the proper "respect" for it,

Nor would I care about CA's flub if she hadn't been adding all the vocal flair. If she'd been singing it straight I'd have shrugged and gone ah well, she flubbed.

But she decided singing it straight wasn't good enough, or entertaining enough, or whatever, and so her error stands out to me as the result of either too much pride, or not enough practice.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:45:57 PM by hyzenthlay »

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

I noticed it right away as well, as did my DH and SIL.  What was amusing to me though (and it may have just been the channel that we were watching) is that right after she mixed up the words the camera changed to a shot of troops at Camp Leatherneck watching the performance.  It just seemed a bit off to me to make that camera move at that particular time.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
I heard a woman crying on the radio today about how insulted she felt. Literally crying, couldn't keep her voice straight she was so upset.

I think people are thinking way too much into a mistake a performer made.

Lexophile

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »

Most people have enough sense to realize that sometimes, nerves just take over, even in the most polished performers, and mistakes happen. I would hate to think someone was so insulted by my mistake that they would call me rude.  

I get from this statement that you don't think I have enough sense to realize that she is human and she made a mistake.

I have already said several times that I have not been in her shoes and don't know how I would have handled it. I know it takes a great deal of courage to stand up in front of so many people and sing a song that's so difficult to sing.

She's supposed to be a professional. As a professional performer, she's supposed to be able to handle the pressure. It's a difficult song - yes. She was no doubt offered a significant amount of money to do the job right. She didn't do it right. In the process, she flubbed our National Anthem, which is a deeply personal song to some of us.

Frankly, I'm a little bit insulted by incompetency of any kind. This is her profession. As a prfoessional singer, I would expect that forgetting the lyrics of the song indicates some level of incompetency. If she took the risk of making some changes to the song - that's fine. I've already stated that I've come to expect such things from performers nowadays. All I have to add to the conversation is that it's possible that her focus on the little changes she made might have distracted her form singing the lyrics correctly and I have to wonder if that didn't affect her performance.

If that affected her performance, then, yes, I think she was rude. If it didn't, then obviously, I would have a hard time calling her rude. I think my original post deferred to other people on this board because I don't have the professional experience to back up my personal feelings.

It certainly doesn't mean I don't the sense to realize that people make mistakes.

"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Nibsey

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
I was mortified but I kept going, tried to find a safe phrase to get me back on track, and finished the song... just like Christina did. No one was "appalled and insulted by it", or accused me of not having the proper "respect" for it,

Nor would I care about CA's flub if she hadn't been adding all the vocal flair. If she'd been singing it straight I'd have shrugged and gone ah well, she flubbed.

But she decided singing it straight wasn't good enough, or entertaining enough, or whatever, and so her error stands out to me as the result of either too much pride, or not enough practice.

Some singers can't sing without adding the extras, it depends on their voice. I, for example can't sing amazing grace with adding a kind of warble note at the start, otherwise I go off key. I also find that it's the songs that people are most comfortable with that tend to go awry. I'm not an American but I think I'd be sort of proud that a singer sort of lost themselves when singing the National Anthem. That's only ever happened to me when I was singing religious songs.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
I think I'd be sort of proud that a singer sort of lost themselves when singing the National Anthem.

Nope. When you are being paid to perform the anthem that is not the time to lose yourself in emotion. I would feel the same about someone doing a performance of religious music if it wasn't part of a religious ceremony.

I see a big difference between a performance at a local event, and one on a national stage. And between a free performance by someone doing it because they love doing it, and a paid appearance based on your professional track record.

And a few warbles wouldn't throw me, but she was all over the place with her rendition. That's not a extra she can't avoid, that's a stylistic choice.