Author Topic: Was Christina Aguilera rude?  (Read 19224 times)

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
Re: Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »
Whether you personally like the anthem straight forward or "stylized" is a complete red herring here.  It's inconsequential.

Artists get to decide how to interpret a piece and perform it.  Christina Aguilera sings with lots of runs and ornamentation--that is her style.  Why on earth would anyone hire her and expect her to suddenly start singing like Charlotte Church?  The runs and extras don't factor into the equation here, because that's most likely what she was *expected* to do, based on all her previous performances and history.  She's wasn't disrespecting anything--she didn't mock its value, she just sang it in her style--that's what singers are hired to do.  For example, my mom whines and complains that she wants people to help her with things, then she stands there and tells them how to do it--she wants them done *her* way--if you want something done your way, you do it yourself--don't expect someone else to change their entire way of doing something because its your preference.  If you want the job done X way, you hire someone who does it X way.  You don't hire someone who does it Y and make a big stink about it.

As for her flub--it was an honest mistake.  There are tons of professional musicians who make mistakes *every* day.  You'd be hard pressed to name one legendary musician who hasn't.  They flub lines, miss cues, miss notes, miss riffs--because there's a lot going on when you perform.  There's adrenaline and nerves and sometimes things just get messed up.  Aguilera has done riffs plenty of times in high stress situations--it just wasn't her night--it happens.  It's like claiming a champion figure skater isn't a professional or up to standards because they miss a jump, or slip on a simple part of their routine--they've done it a thousand times, right?  Shouldn't they have practiced it?  

One honest mistake (even at a venue as large as the superbowl) does not equal gross incompetence or lack of professionalism.  In fact, as any musician will tell you--a true test of professionalism is how you handle mistakes, because inevitably in your career you will make one or be at the mercy of them from your colleagues, sound or lighting people.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

And a few warbles wouldn't throw me, but she was all over the place with her rendition. That's not a extra she can't avoid, that's a stylistic choice.

Then lets talk about the "stylist choice" that was Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the National Anthem.

But I just don't see this as disrespectful.

I don't think I said it was disrespectful (but I haven't reviewed my posts.) I said as a professional since she choose to alter the song I think the failure to perform the lyrics correctly is a pretty significant flub. Given that's it's the anthem, and on a national stage (and she was paid in publicity if not in cash)  I think that losing yourself in the vocals so much that you forget the lyrics is unprofessional at best.

If there is disrespect it's not so much in the choice of style, it's in letting the style become more important then the song. Hendrix did his version as a set piece, not as the anthem preceding a sporting event. But when preceding an event I do think it should be about the song and not about the artist.

Lexophile

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »

And a few warbles wouldn't throw me, but she was all over the place with her rendition. That's not a extra she can't avoid, that's a stylistic choice.

Then lets talk about the "stylist choice" that was Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the National Anthem.

I don't think I said it was disrespectful (but I haven't reviewed my posts.) I said as a professional since she choose to alter the song I think the failure to perform the lyrics correctly is a pretty significant flub. Given that's it's the anthem, and on a national stage (and she was paid in publicity if not in cash)  I think that losing yourself in the vocals so much that you forget the lyrics is unprofessional at best.

If there is disrespect it's not so much in the choice of style, it's in letting the style become more important then the song. Hendrix did his version as a set piece, not as the anthem preceding a sporting event. But when preceding an event I do think it should be about the song and not about the artist.

I think hyzenthlay said this better than I did.

I am an editor by trade and I certainly don't get it perfect every time. But I'm paid to read and to focus on my reading. If I "get lost in the moment" when I'm reading a report because I find that the technology is fascinating or because I'm so excited to finally have my big chance to do work for that particular project manager and it distracts me to the point that I make mistakes, I would expect someone to call me on it.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

I am an editor by trade and I certainly don't get it perfect every time. But I'm paid to read and to focus on my reading. If I "get lost in the moment" when I'm reading a report because I find that the technology is fascinating or because I'm so excited to finally have my big chance to do work for that particular project manager and it distracts me to the point that I make mistakes, I would expect someone to call me on it.

Except that we have absolutely no way to know that that's what happened here.  It's a huge leap to make from "huge song on a huge stage at a huge event being briefly flubbed" to "singer was distracted by own singing technique.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »

Except that we have absolutely no way to know that that's what happened here.  It's a huge leap to make from "huge song on a huge stage at a huge event being briefly flubbed" to "singer was distracted by own singing technique.

Yeah, I think it might be harder for her, and more distracting, to sing without the warbles.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
Drinking song origins notwithstanding, the song is now our national anthem and deserves a little more respect than that.

All I'm saying is that if someone had to have a bit of a sense of humor to put a patriotic poem to the tune of a drinking song.  As far as giving the song respect, I grew up in KC and should you attend a Chiefs game, once they get to the "And the home of the...", the entire crowd shouts "CHIEFS!"  That's a purposeful change of the lyrics, so does that make the crowd rude?

We did the same thing at my high school. We were the Burnsville Braves, so we sang, "...and the home of the BRAVES!"

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »
But when preceding an event I do think it should be about the song and not about the artist.

I think in these instances it is about the song AND the artist.  Had it just been about the anthem, you get the whole crowd singing it and not hire someone to sing it while the crowd watches silently.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »

And as a singer I think that's a *very* illogical leap in this case.  Christina Aguilera always sings a certain way--it's her trademark.  I guarantee you she would be far more distracted by being asked to sing in a different way then she has always done.  I do covers of songs and I sing some of them substantially different from the originals.  It would be ten times harder for me to sing them *straight* in a performance then the way that I naturally to do so.  You've got to go against instinct, muscle memory, years of repetition and what's comfortable for your voice.

Something likely distracted her for a brief second and she blanked out--it happens.  I don't at all see a correlation between performing and the editing example above.  I'm a writer myself--you have plenty of time to go over something and perfect it--you are not writing it and being judged instantaneously.  A far better example for comparison is in regards to athletes.  You practice, practice, practice but you only have one chance and one moment to pull it all together.  Sometimes it just goes awry.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
I heard a woman crying on the radio today about how insulted she felt. Literally crying, couldn't keep her voice straight she was so upset.

I think people are thinking way too much into a mistake a performer made.

I could not agree more.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »

But singing the national anthem is not technical. It is and should be an emotional experience for the singer. Art is different than technical.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »

But singing the national anthem is not technical. It is and should be an emotional experience for the singer. Art is different than technical.

Really well stated. 

I went to a vocal master class in college, taught by faculty from Julliard.  He said this one thing I've never forgotten--"It has to cost you something.  If it doesn't cost you anything, it's not worth listening to."  You have to give something of yourself when you perform--you have to give up something, it has to resonate.  You can't stand up there thinking of every word, note, trill, breath--even if its beautiful it's boring and disconnected.  You need to make the piece automatic so you can focus on how you give those words, notes and breath meaning. 

Performing is a juggling act and sooner or later even the best juggler will drop a ball.
--Red

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
And as a singer I think that's a *very* illogical leap in this case.  Christina Aguilera always sings a certain way--it's her trademark.  I guarantee you she would be far more distracted by being asked to sing in a different way then she has always done.

Not 4 years ago she sang it fairly straight, and you could understand all the words. She perfectly capable of singing it without as much wandering as she decided to do at this last Superbowl.

That said I don't think she's ever sung it the same way twice, and while an artist has every right to do that in a performance I just don't think it's the right attitude to take into the presentation of the anthem.

It don't think this is all that big a deal either, but I'd like it if the performers of the world took note and focused back on presenting the anthem instead of creating a performance. The raising and lowering of the flag could be an emotional experience too, but that doesn't mean you decide to introduce origami swans to the proceedings  ;D

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
And as a singer I think that's a *very* illogical leap in this case.  Christina Aguilera always sings a certain way--it's her trademark.  I guarantee you she would be far more distracted by being asked to sing in a different way then she has always done.

Not 4 years ago she sang it fairly straight, and you could understand all the words. She perfectly capable of singing it without as much wandering as she decided to do at this last Superbowl.

That said I don't think she's ever sung it the same way twice, and while an artist has every right to do that in a performance I just don't think it's the right attitude to take into the presentation of the anthem.

It don't think this is all that big a deal either, but I'd like it if the performers of the world took note and focused back on presenting the anthem instead of creating a performance. The raising and lowering of the flag could be an emotional experience too, but that doesn't mean you decide to introduce origami swans to the proceedings  ;D

I don't think that's the equivalent---changing notes and adding runs to a *song* isn't like bringing a swan into the proceedings.   A singer sings the song in the way that they feel is best--that's part of the job description.    I get that you don't like embellishment of the anthem, but there's nothing wrong with an artist doing that.  If someone doesn't like it they hire someone  a singer with the style they want.  I don't think I've ever head Christina Aguilera in the last couple years sing *anything* straight, but it makes sense that if she's singing it again she'd want to bring something different to the performance.

There are two separate things here 1. She gave a "stylized" version of the national anthem and 2. She flubbed the words.  They are two different issues and its not in any way a foregone conclusion that the first one impacted the second.
--Red

Marlene

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

We don't know who decided she was going to sing it this way. Christina herself? Her manager? The organisers? Donald Trump...? 

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »
I don't know if rude is the right word for it, but I think it's inexcusable. I didn't see it but I've heard about it and I'm pretty disgusted. If you're an American I don't see any reason why you shouldn't know the words to our national anthem The Star Spangled Banner. I don't buy that she was feeling the "pressure", I'm sure she sings in front of big crowds all the time. Like someone else said she most likely didn't rehearse it. Either sing it right or don't bother at all.

Ed.