Author Topic: Was Christina Aguilera rude?  (Read 15523 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »
I don't know if rude is the right word for it, but I think it's inexcusable. I didn't see it but I've heard about it and I'm pretty disgusted. If you're an American I don't see any reason why you shouldn't know the words to our national anthem The Star Spangled Banner. I don't buy that she was feeling the "pressure", I'm sure she sings in front of big crowds all the time. Like someone else said she most likely didn't rehearse it. Either sing it right or don't bother at all.

Ed.

I'm an American. Born here. Raised here. Taught the national anthem at a very young age. You know what? I don't know that I could sing all the words correctly every single time. I'm getting a little tired of the idea that one is not a good American if one fluffs the words to the national anthem. Maybe we should have a less complex anthem.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
I don't know if rude is the right word for it, but I think it's inexcusable. I didn't see it but I've heard about it and I'm pretty disgusted. If you're an American I don't see any reason why you shouldn't know the words to our national anthem The Star Spangled Banner. I don't buy that she was feeling the "pressure", I'm sure she sings in front of big crowds all the time. Like someone else said she most likely didn't rehearse it. Either sing it right or don't bother at all.

Ed.

So does that mean that every ice skater who takes a tumble didn't practice?  Every football player who misses that touchdown pass is suddenly not a professional?  She knows the anthem lyrics, she forgot a line in *that* moment.  It happens to all singers at some point.  You have a momentary lapse--only it happens at a very important moment.  I guarantee you Christina Aguilera practiced the anthem and that she's sung it many many times in her life--probably since she was a child.

Have you never once had a brain fart in your life?  Have you never fumbled in the middle of a sentence for a word or phrase you *knew*?  It happens to singers all the time.

I think its really harsh and inappropriate to assume Christina didn't practice or didn't care about the anthem simply because she botched a line of it.  It happens to singers on that very song every.single.day.  The National Anthem is one of the most difficult songs to sing and many people screw up the words.  I'm sure if you searched on youtube you'd find tons of mistakes with it.  Even the best singers/athletes/performers can have a bad day.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Larrabee

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
I've just watched the video, and I think she handled the mistake really well, and her singing wasn't anything I wouldn't expect from Christina Aguilera.  Whether you like her style or not, she sang it with passion and feeling and every note was spot on even in a very difficult song, especially acapella.  (Is the anthem usually performed that way?  No musicians or backing tracks?)

I'd also love to see what she could do with our incredibly dull dirge of a national anthem 'God Save The Queen'!

kckgirl

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
Maybe we should have a less complex anthem.

My vote: America the Beautiful
Maryland

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »

Ed.

I'm an American. Born here. Raised here. Taught the national anthem at a very young age. You know what? I don't know that I could sing all the words correctly every single time. I'm getting a little tired of the idea that one is not a good American if one fluffs the words to the national anthem. Maybe we should have a less complex anthem.

There actually was (not sure if there still is) a movement to get the national anthem changed to "America the Beautiful".  The reasons for it were because the current anthem is so difficult to sing and because its melodic origin was a drinking song.

Another funny story I heard was back in I believe WWI, it was said soldiers would ask people suspected of being spies if they knew the second verse of the star spangled banner--if they did, then it was assumed they were spies since no regular American knew those lyrics. ;-)
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
I typed "national anthem fail" into the search bar on youtube- there are over 1100 matches just for that phrase.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
I get that you don't like embellishment of the anthem, but there's nothing wrong with an artist doing that. 

I still think she got so into the vocal variations that she lost track of the song. And while that's fine if she's at one of her shows I still think that's a pretty grievous error when presenting the anthem. Her own apology claims

"I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place. I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

Well no I can't feel any love for the country in her presentation anymore. As she performed 4 years ago, yes. As she performed yesterday, not so much. So I'm inclined to be harder on an error because I think she was too busy performing instead of concentrating on the anthem itself.

The anthem is difficult to sing, but not that difficult if it's started in a reasonable key. How popstars present it make it impossible for the spectators to sing along, and I don't think that's properly in the true spirit on the anthem. I wonder what she thinks the true spirit is?

Larrabee

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
I get that you don't like embellishment of the anthem, but there's nothing wrong with an artist doing that. 

I still think she got so into the vocal variations that she lost track of the song. And while that's fine if she's at one of her shows I still think that's a pretty grievous error when presenting the anthem. Her own apology claims

I think that would be an interesting assumption. 

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
I've stated my opinion and my mind's made up and there's really nothing anyone can say to change it. I'll admit I don't like Christina Aguilera but even if I did and she messed up the anthem (or any singer I like did) I'd still be angry about it. It's just one of those things you're either on one side of the issue or the other. I just wanted to say how I felt about it.

Ed.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »
I think the patriotism arguement seems a bit... all the love for one's country, but not enough love for one's countryman (countrywoman?) to be able to forgive a mistake - I just don't understand that.

I guess the Steelers were incompetent too.  Obviously they didn't practice or love their sport or city enough to win the game...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:56:44 PM by Bibliophile »

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

That phrase is usually used to indicate someone is being unduly judgemental and intrusive. I don't think it applies here, when discussing a professional performance.

But if people are getting emotional perhaps I should just withdraw entirely.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »

"I got so caught up in the moment of the song that I lost my place. I can only hope that everyone could feel my love for this country and that the true spirit of its anthem still came through."

Well no I can't feel any love for the country in her presentation anymore. As she performed 4 years ago, yes. As she performed yesterday, not so much. So I'm inclined to be harder on an error because I think she was too busy performing instead of concentrating on the anthem itself.

The anthem is difficult to sing, but not that difficult if it's started in a reasonable key. How popstars present it make it impossible for the spectators to sing along, and I don't think that's properly in the true spirit on the anthem. I wonder what she thinks the true spirit is?

But there is most likely no way that Aguilera is *thinking* about those runs and embellishments.  It doesn't work that way.  You can't think them--you do them.  If you think it, it's gone before you do it.  

I think she meant that she was emotionally moved and lost her spot for a second and had to recover.  I can imagine that a performer would be moved by getting to sing the national anthem at the super bowl in front of all those fans.  It happens.  

It doesn't mean it has anything to do with her vocal technique or embellishment.  
--Red

Red1979

• Super Hero!
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
I've stated my opinion and my mind's made up and there's really nothing anyone can say to change it. I'll admit I don't like Christina Aguilera but even if I did and she messed up the anthem (or any singer I like did) I'd still be angry about it. It's just one of those things you're either on one side of the issue or the other. I just wanted to say how I felt about it.

Ed.

So what about those 1100 other people who screwed it up that are on youtube?  Do they make you angry too?  The fact is its a diffcult song to sing and people screw it up all the time.  If they sincerely mean the words they sing and are giving it their best at that moment, what is there to really be angry about?
--Red

Marlene

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

Ed.

Surely it's possible for you to state your opinion about her performance without implying she's a bad American?

Larrabee

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »

That phrase is usually used to indicate someone is being unduly judgemental and intrusive. I don't think it applies here, when discussing a professional performance.

But if people are getting emotional perhaps I should just withdraw entirely.

I always thought it was used to indicate when someone was making an assumption with no way to know whether it is true or not, a more literal interpretation!

You are assuming that the 'warbles' were the reason for the mistake, when there's no evidence at all to suggest this and in fact the mistake-maker herself has given a different explanation.  Is she lying?

What's wrong with taking her explanation at face value when there's no way to know any different?  Surely that's far less 'emotional' than deciding there's another reason and then proceeding to take offence?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:02:31 PM by Larrabee »