Author Topic: Was Christina Aguilera rude?  (Read 15524 times)

tnpenguinbaby

Re: Was Christina Aguilera rude?
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
I have a question for the singers here.  I don't sing at.all. (to the point that my own grandchildren wouldn't let me sing to them when I was rocking them  :()so I need to consult the experts LOL
I  have heard when singing in a stadium setting, there is an issue with an echo effect or whatever whereby the singer hears what they sang a few bars back echoing back at them which can mess them up.  I understand they wear headsets that block one ear, and feed music into the other one so they stay on track.  I noticed Christina was fiddling with her earpiece several times; I wonder if that's what happened to her?  (Provided the feedback thing is true).

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
Maybe we should have a less complex anthem.

My vote: America the Beautiful

Which Lea Michelle sang beautifully.

One thing I've been thinking about with this, and even though I do think it was an honest mistake, is that there have been several reports lately about CA's partying and drinking as of late. It does make me wonder if perhaps this could have contributed to the gaffe.

Marlene

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »

One thing I've been thinking about with this, and even though I do think it was an honest mistake, is that there have been several reports lately about CA's partying and drinking as of late. It does make me wonder if perhaps this could have contributed to the gaffe.

Maybe we should just not go there...

Nibsey

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »

And a few warbles wouldn't throw me, but she was all over the place with her rendition. That's not a extra she can't avoid, that's a stylistic choice.

Then lets talk about the "stylist choice" that was Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the National Anthem.

But I just don't see this as disrespectful.

I don't think I said it was disrespectful (but I haven't reviewed my posts.) I said as a professional since she choose to alter the song I think the failure to perform the lyrics correctly is a pretty significant flub. Given that's it's the anthem, and on a national stage (and she was paid in publicity if not in cash)  I think that losing yourself in the vocals so much that you forget the lyrics is unprofessional at best.

If there is disrespect it's not so much in the choice of style, it's in letting the style become more important then the song. Hendrix did his version as a set piece, not as the anthem preceding a sporting event. But when preceding an event I do think it should be about the song and not about the artist.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest you were saying it was disrespectful. I can certain see why you'd think it was 'off' if she thought the style was more important than the song. To me that would be highly disrespectful. I think were most people would disagree is that her style was why she forgot the lyrics. When your singing you generally aren't thinking in the same way as when your for example, reciting poetry. Ever notice if you ask someone what the words to a song is alot of people can only remember if they sing it back.
All singers forget the words at some time  but frustrating to some singers (for example me!!!) this tend to be during the songs they're most comfortable with.  ;D lol
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:32:51 PM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
I've just watched the video, and I think she handled the mistake really well, and her singing wasn't anything I wouldn't expect from Christina Aguilera.  Whether you like her style or not, she sang it with passion and feeling and every note was spot on even in a very difficult song, especially acapella.  (Is the anthem usually performed that way?  No musicians or backing tracks?)

I'd also love to see what she could do with our incredibly dull dirge of a national anthem 'God Save The Queen'!

Pod. She sounded fine (that's not my favorite style of singing, but she did a fine job of singing in that style) and sounded like her usual self. The lyrical gaffe was there, obviously, but she kept going after the mistake in a professional manner.

Master_Edward: this has nothing to do with her patriotism or even to do with whether she knew the words. It was a brain blip.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »

Why not? We are having a discussion about whether or not her behavior was rude. A partying lifestyle could contribute to making more mistakes.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
I have a question for the singers here.  I don't sing at.all. (to the point that my own grandchildren wouldn't let me sing to them when I was rocking them  :()so I need to consult the experts LOL
I  have heard when singing in a stadium setting, there is an issue with an echo effect or whatever whereby the singer hears what they sang a few bars back echoing back at them which can mess them up.  I understand they wear headsets that block one ear, and feed music into the other one so they stay on track.  I noticed Christina was fiddling with her earpiece several times; I wonder if that's what happened to her?  (Provided the feedback thing is true).

You're right.  I've never had the luxury of earpieces to help the problem, but have sang the anthem (in groups) in stadiums many times.  You hear the echo much later than what you are singing so basically you need to push forward and listen to nothing but the sound coming out of your lips.  You will completely lose yourself if you listen to the reverb.  The rule is no matter what you hear around you, just keep going.

--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »

Why not? We are having a discussion about whether or not her behavior was rude. A partying lifestyle could contribute to making more mistakes.

Because its unfair speculation.  And tons of artists gave amazing--history making performances under the influence of many a "partying lifestyle".  Unless there is some definitive report about her behavior the evening before (or right before) her performance I think its inappropriate speculation.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »

I don't know that it's appropriate to delve into rumors and gossip about her personal life to decide whether her mistake was "rude" or not.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

I don't know that it's appropriate to delve into rumors and gossip about her personal life to decide whether her mistake was "rude" or not.

Fair enough. If there were reports of that kind of behavior, that would definitely have an impact on if I thought it was rude or just a mistake.

Marlene

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »

Because it's in gossip territory... we're not supposed to go there. Otherwise it would be a fair point. 

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

You're right.  I've never had the luxury of earpieces to help the problem, but have sang the anthem (in groups) in stadiums many times.  You hear the echo much later than what you are singing so basically you need to push forward and listen to nothing but the sound coming out of your lips.  You will completely lose yourself if you listen to the reverb.  The rule is no matter what you hear around you, just keep going.

Agreed.  Wasn't so much a problem for me singing outdoors for football games; we would focus on each other (8 person choir) and ignore the speakers.  But when I did basketball (indoors & solo), the first time I tried to ignore the echo and it was confusing; subsequent times I took the whole piece a bit slower so that the echos would fade towards the end of each line.  However, that was in a small high school gym.  If you waited for the echos to fade in a huge stadium you would look ridiculous and it would take 5 min to get through the anthem.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
I actually read parts of this thread before I watched her performance, so I was quite surprised to see how small (in my opinion) the error was -- she didn't make up entirely new lyrics or stop singing, she just repeated a line.  It's one of the easiest mistakes to make.  I've done it dozens of times as an actor (repeating a line that carried a similar emotion) and a pianist (repeating a phrase of music) so I can imagine how easy it would be to do as a singer.  Practice has nothing to do with it.

I'm really impressed with how professionally she handled it.  I don't think she was rude, or unpatriotic, or anything else.  She made a small error, she carried on, she apologized -- perfectly gracious behaviour, I think.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
What I always think is rude is adding all the extra notes and trying to "stylize" a song that should be sung as written.

I think that is what she was really lost in.  I think that when you are doing that your effort is a bit misplaced.

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

And you know, I heard that and while I thought her voice is lovely, I found her rendition of it quite boring.

I noticed that Christina flubbed a line, but after that, it was...eh, whatever, everyone makes mistakes. The only thing *I* did not like about her performance is that she didn't do all the high-note trills...I really like those. I like warbles and trills. I find completely straight "adhere to the lines and notes exactly as it is written" to be quite dull.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho