Author Topic: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl  (Read 3970 times)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
I'll make a long story short.

In the past, Cowboys Stadium has put in temporary riser seating for large events. Since then, a new man has taken the position of Fire Chief.

The new Fire Chief declared the established riser seating unsafe, and the facilities employees at Cowboys Stadium were instructed to change the seats. Cue massive snowstorm, and the employees couldn't get into the stadium in time to change the seats.

Of 1200 tickets sold, 400 people were not allowed in to watch the Superbowl. From all reports, these fans found out after they arrived at the stadium. They were given another place to watch the game, and they've since been offered compensation equivalent to three times the face value of the ticket and tickets to next year's Superbowl.

Thoughts?

Is this suitable compensation?

Many news outlets have already said to expect considerable litigation, so let's not go there.  ;)

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/13392-ticket-holding-fans-seatless-at-super-bowl

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
IMO, it is absolutely not suitable compensation.  These fans found out when they got there that they would not have seats, and I believe most of them were put in the "hospitality area" OUTSIDE in the freezing cold.   I would suspect that not all of these fans paid face value for their tickets but more like $1K-3K.  Not to mention flights, hotels, etc.  This is not a trip they would take for their "vacation", they were there specificially for the Superbowl, which is a once in a lifetime event for most people.   I would be beyond furious.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
I think they should be given the monetary compensation they have already been offered, plus FREE tickets to next years game.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

dawbs

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
Not appropriate, IMO.

On some level, it's like dinner being ruined while eating out because the food is palatable but *everything* else is awful...the dinner is ruined even if the food is edible.  Eating out, for me, isn't about the food.  I could have made the meal much MUCh cheaper at home (possibly even better, if it's something simple  ;))--I'm paying for the ability to eat in a restaurant, be waited on, etc.  Making it up to me by giving me more food just doesn't cut it.

These fans had paid for their tickets (possibly more than the face value of the ticket) AND paid to attend the game (in some cases, the cost to fly out/accommodations/etc would be many times the face value of the ticket), 'spent' their time off work,  and were paying for the experience of watching the game in the stadium with the fans, live.
I'm failing to see why they could not have found a way to 'announce' ahead of time that certain seats wouldn't be usable--at least letting people find out about the situation before they got in the door.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
I think they should be given the monetary compensation they have already been offered, plus FREE tickets to next years game.

The article does say they will be given tickets to next year's game.

dawbs

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »

I wonder what the die-hard-single-team-fans will think of that though?

I mean, I personally am a (don't laugh!) Lions fan.  If the heavens opened, choirs sang, lightning struck and we made it to the superbowl AND I got a ticket I'd be in heaven...

If I then didn't get to see it, tickets to any other superbowl would NOT be a replacement (and I doubt lightning would strike twice and I'd get to see them play in the next year's bowl game)--it just isn't the same; I'd only make plans to go for 'my' team.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »
I think it is horrible. As others have said, for most, the Superbowl is a once in a lifetime opportunity. How many of those were Packers or Steelers fans who bought tix after their team entered the finals?

I also think it would have been an extension of goodwill if those fans were allowed into some box seating or other premium places to watch the game. 

I think it was handled horribly al around. 

A_Bartlett

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:07:54 AM »
They only sold 1200 tickets to the superbowl? And a third of them were unsafe?

Are you sure this is true? 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:37 AM »

Reading the article it sounds like about 1200 seats (I read that over 100,000 people attended the superbowl) were declared unsafe, and of those 1200, only about 800 people were able to be seated elsewhere.  The other 400 were SOL.

and I have to wonder if those "seated elsewhere" got to sit with the people they came with and had seats that were all that great.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:21:52 AM »

Reading the article it sounds like about 1200 seats (I read that over 100,000 people attended the superbowl) were declared unsafe, and of those 1200, only about 800 people were able to be seated elsewhere.  The other 400 were SOL.

and I have to wonder if those "seated elsewhere" got to sit with the people they came with and had seats that were all that great.

HYGTBHappiness got it right. The 1200 seats were only the ones declared unsafe. They had 103,000 and same change in attendance that day.

As best I understand it, they did not separate any groups of people, but the quality of the seats was not guaranteed. The seats themselves were not great to begin with, but I don't know how the replacement seats turned out. This is not me being snobby. The picture I saw showed the original temporary seats to be in the fourth tier, riser style.

The news clip showed one man who was so upset he was crying a bit and had to be seen by a doctor for chest pains. He certainly seemed genuine. Another clip showed a little boy (about ten or twelve) crying outside while they waited to find out their fate. (I live in Dallas, so we get a LOT of information about it here).

I tend to think they should all be reimbursed for their travel, work, food expenses for coming this year, but I don't think I would hold the NFL responsible for the people who paid more than three times the value of their tickets.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »

Yes, but "their" team might not be playing.

This would be like being compensated with admission to someone else's family reunion.

(GO PACKERS!!!)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »

This would be like being compensated with admission to someone else's family reunion.

(GO PACKERS!!!)

Huge Pod!

Or - "we know we promised you tickets to the Bruce Springsteen concert but it turns out we don't have the seating.  Here are some tickets to Kanye West next month."  I would not be happy.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »

(GO PACKERS!!!)

Huge Pod!

Or - "we know we promised you tickets to the Bruce Springsteen concert but it turns out we don't have the seating.  Here are some tickets to Kanye West next month."  I would not be happy.

Or Justin Bieber. :P

KatPsych

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »

I wonder what the die-hard-single-team-fans will think of that though?

I mean, I personally am a (don't laugh!) Lions fan.  If the heavens opened, choirs sang, lightning struck and we made it to the superbowl AND I got a ticket I'd be in heaven...

If I then didn't get to see it, tickets to any other superbowl would NOT be a replacement (and I doubt lightning would strike twice and I'd get to see them play in the next year's bowl game)--it just isn't the same; I'd only make plans to go for 'my' team.

This is exactly what I thought.  I mean I'm glad that the NFL is trying to offer them something in addition to reimbursing 3X the amount of the tickets, but seeing YOUR team in the Superbowl is different than just seeing any Superbowl.  And many of these fans did seem like your one-team diehard fans that were willing to take even not-so-good seats because that's what they could get/afford in order to see their team play.  From the footage I saw, they weren't random people who just wanted to see a Superbowl.

I read an article yesterday on CNN that noted that the NFL was aware of the seating situation last week, but didn't mention anything to the fans because they were hoping to finish up the construction and get it to code before the game (including still working on it as people started entering).  That really upset me.

PeterM

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
They were given another place to watch the game, and they've since been offered compensation equivalent to three times the face value of the ticket and tickets to next year's Superbowl.

Is that what those people they kept showing watching on a TV screen outside the stadium were doing? Good lord.

No way is that enough compensation, to my mind. It won't nearly cover the travel expenses of most of these people, and tickets to next year's game just mean, "Hey, you get to pay those travel expenses again next year!"