Author Topic: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl  (Read 4102 times)

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
Re: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
They were given another place to watch the game, and they've since been offered compensation equivalent to three times the face value of the ticket and tickets to next year's Superbowl.

Is that what those people they kept showing watching on a TV screen outside the stadium were doing? Good lord.

Nope, those were people to whom Jerry Jones sold ridiculously expensive tickets for space in the parking lot to watch on big screens out there.  I wish I could remember how much -- I want to say in the neighborhood of $200+.  They knew they were going to be spending the game out in the cold ahead of time.

I don't really think the compensation is just, particularly for die-hard fans.  I mean, it's one thing to want to/find a way to attend every Super Bowl, but for most people, it's something that happens only when your team is in the game, and substituting next year's game, when you might not really care who wins because your team isn't there, just isn't equivalent.

Maujer

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 12:56:37 PM »
I know there was a snowstorm in Dallas last week . . . but really they waited until the last week to take care of this? The Cowboys season ended over a month ago, right? It seemed like they wanted to have the highest attended Superbowl in history, but could care less about the fans.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Is scalping tickets for the superbowl legal?

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
With the football lockout looming, I think the NFL would be wise to go above and beyond in compensating the ticketholders.  They should be showering them with merchandise, offering tickets to home team games next season (or whenever they play again) and inviting the ticketholders to a few meet and greet events.   This was a first class flub on the part of the NFL.  They needed a Plan B, and they failed dismally.  They would have been better off pulling back some of the courtesy tickets that go to VIPs, advertisers and NFL execs and ensuring that everyday fans had a place to sit.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
They were given another place to watch the game, and they've since been offered compensation equivalent to three times the face value of the ticket and tickets to next year's Superbowl.

Is that what those people they kept showing watching on a TV screen outside the stadium were doing? Good lord.

Nope, those were people to whom Jerry Jones sold ridiculously expensive tickets for space in the parking lot to watch on big screens out there.  I wish I could remember how much -- I want to say in the neighborhood of $200+.  They knew they were going to be spending the game out in the cold ahead of time.

I don't really think the compensation is just, particularly for die-hard fans.  I mean, it's one thing to want to/find a way to attend every Super Bowl, but for most people, it's something that happens only when your team is in the game, and substituting next year's game, when you might not really care who wins because your team isn't there, just isn't equivalent.

I agree. I don't know how they determined who got 'bumped', but they should have handled it the way airlines do: Tell the people what the compensation 'package' is, and ask for volunteers. I'm sure they could have come up with a good enough deal to get 400 people to go for it, and not have to cut the heartbroken 12yo out.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
1 to 3 times ticket cost is fine, but what about cost of time off from work and travel costs?  Especially if they knew.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
I know there was a snowstorm in Dallas last week . . . but really they waited until the last week to take care of this? The Cowboys season ended over a month ago, right? It seemed like they wanted to have the highest attended Superbowl in history, but could care less about the fans.

I really don't think they did, though. I know that's what a lot of people have said, but they even had someone who is in charge of facilities at the stadium on the news as recently as January 26th saying that they were taking every possible precaution for safety, had gotten checked and rechecked, and weren't anticipating any problems.

Obviously Jerry Jones was looking to pack in as many people as possible, but it did sound like they received the information regarding the change very late in the planning (new fire chief) and had genuine problems getting to change the seats as a result of the storm. I live in Dallas, and we shut down COMPLETELY last week. Schools and businesses were closed Tues-Fri and some on Saturday.

I completely agree that they should have warned people sooner and offered the compensation package (I would have taken it  ;)) in order to get volunteers to step down, but I don't think they were quite as cavalier as some news reports are implying . . .

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

$200, according to the article I saw. They also got an official program or something. I gather parking was around $100.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

PeterM

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 03:42:51 AM »
With the football lockout looming, I think the NFL would be wise to go above and beyond in compensating the ticketholders.  They should be showering them with merchandise, offering tickets to home team games next season (or whenever they play again) and inviting the ticketholders to a few meet and greet events.   This was a first class flub on the part of the NFL.  They needed a Plan B, and they failed dismally.  They would have been better off pulling back some of the courtesy tickets that go to VIPs, advertisers and NFL execs and ensuring that everyday fans had a place to sit.

Yeah. Or if they just plain couldn't get the displaced fans into the stadium - and I'd be willing to believe it just wasn't possible at such short notice - they should have compensated the bejesus out of them. Pay all or darn near all the expenses they'd racked up for this trip AND for the trip to next year's Superbowl, that sort of thing. It'd come out to a lot of money, yes, but it'd get the NFL at least ten times whatever they paid in good PR. And every professional sports organization can use all the good PR it can get, these days.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:03 AM »
For whatever it's worth, Cowboys Stadium always sells tickets to those outside seats you saw on tv. They are available for every game, involve a large set of outside tables, big screen tvs, etc. I've never gone, but when I go to Cowboys Stadium it's for the stadium experience.  ;)

A_Bartlett

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »

Yeah. Or if they just plain couldn't get the displaced fans into the stadium - and I'd be willing to believe it just wasn't possible at such short notice - they should have compensated the bejesus out of them. Pay all or darn near all the expenses they'd racked up for this trip AND for the trip to next year's Superbowl, that sort of thing. It'd come out to a lot of money, yes, but it'd get the NFL at least ten times whatever they paid in good PR. And every professional sports organization can use all the good PR it can get, these days.

I don't see that they're hurting for fans.  I imagine people will still go to the Superbowl next year.  People will still go to Dallas games.  I doubt going over and above compensating the fans would really bring in any additional revenue for the organization.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »

I don't see that they're hurting for fans.  I imagine people will still go to the Superbowl next year.  People will still go to Dallas games.  I doubt going over and above compensating the fans would really bring in any additional revenue for the organization.

There are serious concerns that the impending lockout will put a hit on their fan base and ad revenue.  They need all the good PR they can get.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
Let the lawsuits begin!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/local/20110209-lawsuits-filed-in-super-bowl-seating-troubles.ece

By the way, did they also put in additional rest rooms, concession stands, etc to accommodate the additional fans?

SportsFan88

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 02:16:22 PM »
It's been mentioned here a lot that you just can't replace the experience of seeing your team at the Super Bowl. It hasn't been posted that the NFL did offer a second option: a free, nontransferable ticket of the fan’s choice to a future Super Bowl as well as roundtrip airfare and lodging.

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.

MissRose

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
Why did Jerry Jones and company sell those additional seats without having the okay that they were in a safe area?  He was just trying to make a few extra dollars and go for the attendance record.  Very rude not to be prepared ahead of time, and its not like they were just awarded being hosts of the big game 2 weeks before it happened.  Host sites are given a few years to prepare for a game this big from my understanding.

Yes, I am a Detroit Lions fan :P, and their newer indoor stadium hosted the big game a few years ago (but of course Detroit wasn't a participant LOL).  I heard of very few if any issues regarding seating or other things, and from what I read, it went pretty well.