Author Topic: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl  (Read 3969 times)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
Re: 400 Seats Declared Unsafe at the Superbowl
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
Why did Jerry Jones and company sell those additional seats without having the okay that they were in a safe area?  He was just trying to make a few extra dollars and go for the attendance record.  Very rude not to be prepared ahead of time, and its not like they were just awarded being hosts of the big game 2 weeks before it happened.  Host sites are given a few years to prepare for a game this big from my understanding.

Because they'd use used those seats before without any problems. I know that everyone knows Jerry Jones is out to make a buck in a big way, but this was not quite the misguided assumption that I think a lot of news sources are making it out to be. Cowboys Stadium had had a setup like that before without any issues, but they had a new fire chief. The new fire chief has stricter standards (as best I understand it).

They absolutely should have handled this differently and better, but they didn't just decide to add 1250 seats without good reason to believe they would have been okay.

Aggiesque

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
I think things would have been fine if the snow hadn't thrown everything off.

Other than telling people ahead of time, which should have been done, and compensating their tickets, I don't really think anything else was owed to the  ticket holders.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

PeterM

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
Why did Jerry Jones and company sell those additional seats without having the okay that they were in a safe area? 

Because they'd use used those seats before without any problems. I know that everyone knows Jerry Jones is out to make a buck in a big way, but this was not quite the misguided assumption that I think a lot of news sources are making it out to be. Cowboys Stadium had had a setup like that before without any issues, but they had a new fire chief. The new fire chief has stricter standards (as best I understand it).

One of the articles I read said it was because two outer stairways didn't have the mandated guard-rails and hand-rails because the installation was delayed and they never completely finished. So if they'd finished, they'd have been fine, but the fire chief wouldn't let them seat people in those areas based on their condition when the game started.

As far as compensation, there's an interesting article comparing and contrasting the various make-up deals the NFL has offered over on Slate:

http://www.slate.com/id/2284672/