Author Topic: Lindsay Lohan's Dress Has It's Day In Court  (Read 14730 times)

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
Re: Lindsay Lohan's Dress Has It's Day In Court
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
Can't really see (my screen is sort of toasted)- is she wearing pantyhose? Often, for short dresses with long sleeves and no cleavage, that's what makes the difference between appropriate and inappropriate. (Then again, I admit, I'm not a fan of wearing black heels that aren't open-toe with no pantyhose). I think the combination of hair+necklace + sunglasses (for the love of kittens, I ope she won't keep them on indoors!) makes it look a bit trashy. If she had worn the same dress with a tasteful silver necklace, her hair down and tidy or in a tame-looking simple bun and maybe a bolero or suit jacket- the effect would have been deffinitely different.
I know someone who's a graduate student at my faculty- she wears that sort of dresses most of the time (she's got really beautiful legs!), including when she presented research results in an important conference- and I always thought it looks good on her. Not sure how much you can compare the court dress code with academic conferences dress code..
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 06:04:02 AM »
Can't really see (my screen is sort of toasted)- is she wearing pantyhose? Often, for short dresses with long sleeves and no cleavage, that's what makes the difference between appropriate and inappropriate. (Then again, I admit, I'm not a fan of wearing black heels that aren't open-toe with no pantyhose). I think the combination of hair+necklace + sunglasses (for the love of kittens, I ope she won't keep them on indoors!) makes it look a bit trashy. If she had worn the same dress with a tasteful silver necklace, her hair down and tidy or in a tame-looking simple bun and maybe a bolero or suit jacket- the effect would have been deffinitely different.
I know someone who's a graduate student at my faculty- she wears that sort of dresses most of the time (she's got really beautiful legs!), including when she presented research results in an important conference- and I always thought it looks good on her. Not sure how much you can compare the court dress code with academic conferences dress code..

No pantyhose, but she did take off the sunglasses in the courtroom.

One of the commenters on tmz seemed to ask (sincerely) what the rash was on her legs.  ::) It's called freckles. It's the same "rash" that's on her face and arms.  :P

Ms_Shell

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
Not sure how much you can compare the court dress code with academic conferences dress code..

That's an interesting question.  My feeling is that in an academic setting, you'd* want people to look at you and think "scholar", not "femme fatale".  Same thing in court -wouldn't you want the judge to look at you and think "responsible pillar of society" and not "trashy party girl"?  They say perception is everything and also clothes make the man/woman - I definitely see that applying to this situation.

*all you's general.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »
Not sure how much you can compare the court dress code with academic conferences dress code..

That's an interesting question.  My feeling is that in an academic setting, you'd* want people to look at you and think "scholar", not "femme fatale".  Same thing in court -wouldn't you want the judge to look at you and think "responsible pillar of society" and not "trashy party girl"?  They say perception is everything and also clothes make the man/woman - I definitely see that applying to this situation.

*all you's general.

On the other hand, you're in an academic conference because you did something good- aka carried out valuable research. LL was in court because she did something not so good. I think this has some bearing , too.
That is- I know that I, for one, never considered this graduate's dresses to be inappropriate. I think the amount of skin/legs showed is more likely to be "on the radar" when you're faced with someone facing felony charges than for someone who is presenting research results and saying interesting things.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Ms_Shell

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »

*all you's general.

On the other hand, you're in an academic conference because you did something good- aka carried out valuable research. LL was in court because she did something not so good. I think this has some bearing , too.
That is- I know that I, for one, never considered this graduate's dresses to be inappropriate. I think the amount of skin/legs showed is more likely to be "on the radar" when you're faced with someone facing felony charges than for someone who is presenting research results and saying interesting things.

In your situation, I'll defer to your opinion, since I wasn't there. :) I was thinking more along the lines of LL presenting her thesis defense in the dress she wore to court.  At least for me in an academic setting, I want *all* the professors to look at me and think, "Great research, how can I get her to work with me?" NOT "great legs, how can I get her to go to bed with me?"

Bottom line, I would want them to drool over my beautiful brain and forget that I have a body at all, KWIM?  So to that end, I'd most likely wear a pantsuit or skirt suit, hose, pumps and all of it in a dark navy blue or charcoal gray.  Same thing for a court appearance.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Ereine

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

*all you's general.

I still remember a court case in Finland in the 90s. Two animal liberation types had freed some foxes from a fur farm and were prosecuted. I only found out that they were pretty extreme punk rockers afterwards, in court they wore wigs (to hide their mohawks) and long dresses with flowers (it was the 90s). I assume that their goal was to make them look as respectable and innocent as possible, their normal clothes wouldn't have helped in that, I suspect.

LauraKat

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
I think it's a very tasteful dress. It's a little on the short side but I think that's ok when it's a long sleeved, turtle neck style.

Jan74

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
It is relatively tame for Lindsay.

Agreed. As MrsJWine puts it, it's klassy, but considering that last time she showed up with a curse word on her manicure, well, it could be a lot worse. However, I'm guessing it didn't impress the judge at all.

The look she was sporting last time was also just as short, showed cleavage, was tighter than this one, and had studs on the jacket.

So this one is a little closer to the mark, while still off. Also, she combed her hair. Bonus points for combing hair before court and washing off last night's makeup.

LOL. Bonus points for not combining 'walk of shame' with court appearance? With LL, we aim low :D

Yes! Hahaha.

Of course, Lindsay can't just wear a Chanel suit and suddenly look like a respectable pillar of society. But she is, in this instance, looking like she is not hungover from the night before, which I suspect is as much as we can expect from her as far as "making a good impression".

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
But, if clothes are statements (and certainly movie people should know that), it doesn't say, "I am take my situation seriously and am prepared to work to rehabilate myself, physically, mentally, and professionally, if the court is kind enough to give me that option." Instead, it says, "Can we move this hearing along, because there's a club seat waiting for my rear on it."

Which is probably not the best message to send, all things considered here. I'm surprised her lawyers can't persuade her to wear something that says, "I'm clean, I'm sober and I'm serious".

I agree. However, considering her previous choices, this might have been their best compromise.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:15 AM »
The dress is too tight, and I don't mean the cut is clingy. I mean it looks like it doesn't fit properly. Look around her shoulders, it looks like it's lifting off. If it was a size bigger and not quite so boobalicious I'd say it's okay, but it's not okay for court.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »

No pantyhose, but she did take off the sunglasses in the courtroom.

One of the commenters on tmz seemed to ask (sincerely) what the rash was on her legs.  ::) It's called freckles. It's the same "rash" that's on her face and arms.  :P

LOL! She's a natural redhead (seems to be dyed blonde at the moment)! What did they expect?  ::)

The dress is a bit too tight, and it's cementing my belief that busty women are not flattered by that style of neckline, but I'm with the previous posters who say it's not bad for her.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »
Honestly if it were anyone else I'd think "What the heck?" but considering what she usually wears I'll give her credit for trying.   ::)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
Certainly, if I were the judge, I wouldn't throw her out of court for what she's wearing.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
To me it looks unflattering and I certainly wouldn't wear it to court, but I wouldn't necessarily deem it court-inappropriate. She's covered and it's not that trashy-looking to me.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »
[OT] I miss her red hair. [/OT]

I don't think it's particularly flattering. It doesn't fit properly and turtlenecks aren't great for busty women. More importantly, it doesn't give off a serious vibe. It's too much of a "fun" dress for court.
The status is not quo!