News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 07:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o of sales pitch by ambush - sleazy sales tactics  (Read 12210 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
Re: s/o of sales pitch by ambush - sleazy sales tactics
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
I've got two standouts, both when I was still with the X.

The first had to do with his car.  He had a small old car that he did the large majority of the maintenance on himself, but something happened with the heater and it was blowing antifreeze(?) fumes into the car or something weird and rather dangerous.  We took it to a shop and they gave looked it over and gave us an estimate and we told them that we would need to think about it and call them the next day.  The value of the car was perhaps 500 and the repairs were going to be 800.  We decided to see if the X could fix and if not we would try to sell it cheap.  (I would have told them although I'm not sure X would have.)  We called the next morning and spoke to the mechanic who was furious.  He had stayed late the night before and had the whole engine pulled so he could blah, blah, blah.  Since he had done that he insisted that we owed $$$$, which was more than the estimate.  I'm ashamed to say it but he bullied us into signing over the title in lue of payment.  It makes me sick now, but at least it wasn't much money in the long term.

I moved back into the area a couple of years later and had a small problem with my truck and had the owner of the same shop check it.  He told me that it needed a new transmission and that he didn't even feel safe letting me drive it off the lot.  I didn't fall for that and drove it to my grandpa's house and he fixed the problem for almost nothing.  I'm still driving that truck with that transmission 11 years later.

HonorH

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
There was this thing a number of years ago--back in the late '90s, I think--in which a company would send out these weight-loss ads in handwritten envelopes, with a sticky on the front of the ad that said (again, in handwriting), "This really worked for me! -J." I saw it on the news, and then, a few days later, my sister showed me one, crying, because she thought a coworker had sent it to her. She was trying to lose weight and was really sensitive about her appearance. I told her about the scam, and she trashed it. Made me mad. Underhanded jerks playing on women's insecurities by making them think someone they knew was sending them this claptrap!
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

siamesecat2965

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
I had my former dentist try and tell me that I needed several of my fillings replaced, which I've had done before, as I grind my teeth terribly.  However, they were not bothering me at all, and my theory is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  He also wanted to replace all my silver fillings with tooth colored ones, so they would "look better"  I was already looking for a new dentist, as this guy charged me an arm and three legs for 4 tiny cavities he filled.  $225 EACH, for a grand total of $900.  Now while I know fillings are not cheap, that was about $75 more each than my former dentist had charged me.  Then I had a tooth, or what was left of it as most was filing, crumble as i bit into something soft.  Again, not bothering me (this happened in Dec.)

So I found someone new, the following May, and went to him.  And I quite honestly couldn't remember what teeth my former dentist said needed to be refilled (due to wearing down).  New guy said not a word.  He was actually apologetic that he needed tp out a crown on the tooth i cracked.  I told him I would have been surprised if you hadn't done that.  The only other thing he told me was that the filling next to it I needed to keep an eye on, as it MIGHT bother me at some time, but there was no need to do anything to it now.  It's been just about 3 years, and I still haven't had a thing done to it.  This one is a keeper, and I've referred 3 or 4 friends and co-workers to him as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:46:15 PM by siamesecat2965 »

Tsaiko

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »
I use to work for a place that I still refer to as Podunk Insurance Company. They were pretty much who people went with when they wanted cheap or no one else would insure them. It was also a sleazy, sleazy place. One of the things they did that made me cringe was tell people that they spoke Spanish. They were very proud of this fact that it was in all their marketing materials. And to give them credit, most of the agents that sold policies did speak Spanish.

However, me and four other people were the entire claims department. No one spoke Spanish. No one. So while people who spoke Spanish could be sold the policy, no one in the claims department could actually take any claim information from them when something happened. I tried to figure out how to tell them "Please get the person who sold you the policy to call in your claim"  in Spanish and was told not to. They would have to figure out on their own what to do.

I last as a temp there for less than six months. I have never been so glad to leave a job in my life.

Raintree

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
Oh yes, cars are a category all on their own. I went to an oil change place (a major, well-known chain), and they told me my battery needed replacing ASAP, and would I like them to replace it right now? I said no, because a friend had told me about a battery place that would be about half the price this place was quoting. I then went to the battery place; they tested my battery and said, "Nothing wrong with this battery." I drove it away, and continued to drive with that same battery for the next two years without incident.

Animala

• Rowr!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:04 PM »
There was this thing a number of years ago--back in the late '90s, I think--in which a company would send out these weight-loss ads in handwritten envelopes, with a sticky on the front of the ad that said (again, in handwriting), "This really worked for me! -J." I saw it on the news, and then, a few days later, my sister showed me one, crying, because she thought a coworker had sent it to her. She was trying to lose weight and was really sensitive about her appearance. I told her about the scam, and she trashed it. Made me mad. Underhanded jerks playing on women's insecurities by making them think someone they knew was sending them this claptrap!

There was a local diet chain that used a practice of interviewing their clients and really getting into emotionally painful areas with them.  When clients didn't want to go up a level, buy more products or wanted to quit they would pull out the interview forms and use the information to manipulate people.  They were caught doing it by a local investigative reporter and it was pretty vicious.  I don't know if they changed their practices or not, but it would certainly make me leery of using any kind of service like that.

Emmy

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »

There was a local diet chain that used a practice of interviewing their clients and really getting into emotionally painful areas with them.  When clients didn't want to go up a level, buy more products or wanted to quit they would pull out the interview forms and use the information to manipulate people.  They were caught doing it by a local investigative reporter and it was pretty vicious.  I don't know if they changed their practices or not, but it would certainly make me leery of using any kind of service like that.

I thought I saw something like that on a news show.  I can't remember whether it was a local chain or national, but the chain would would take personal information from clients, such as relationship status and goals, and use it against them to get them to try to purchase more products and services.  I'm pretty sure this chain is now defunct as I haven't heard advertising from them in a long time.

Miss March

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »

I got one of those in the mail. I remember it was designed to look like someone had ripped an article from a newspaper (it even had a generic newspaper article on the back to make it look authentic). You are right HonorH- that was pretty low.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

Ms_Shell

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
I won't go to J.L. anymore because I got sick of their underhanded sale tactics to get you to have more done on your car.   Once they convinced me that I needed to pay to have the tires rotated...DH had just done it a couple weeks prior.

This one still makes me mad when I think about it.  I went to JL to get a standard oil change, left the car there and went shopping with a friend until it was time to go back and pick my car up.  I paid the guy, hopped in my car and took off...until I looked in my rearview mirror and my friend was frantically waving me down.  Turns out my car was spewing smoke from the tailpipe because they had taken the old oil out and never put new oil in.

The kicker?  When I went back to JL to complain, they added the oil they didn't put in the first time and tried to charge me for a second oil change! 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
I won't go to J.L. anymore because I got sick of their underhanded sale tactics to get you to have more done on your car.   Once they convinced me that I needed to pay to have the tires rotated...DH had just done it a couple weeks prior.

This one still makes me mad when I think about it.  I went to JL to get a standard oil change, left the car there and went shopping with a friend until it was time to go back and pick my car up.  I paid the guy, hopped in my car and took off...until I looked in my rearview mirror and my friend was frantically waving me down.  Turns out my car was spewing smoke from the tailpipe because they had taken the old oil out and never put new oil in.

The kicker?  When I went back to JL to complain, they added the oil they didn't put in the first time and tried to charge me for a second oil change!  

Argh! You were minutes away from needing a new engine.

I stopped going to the 'quick change' oil places when they stripped out my plug and had to punch a new hole (and tried to charge me for it ;D I think not). That was 20 years ago and I've been taking my car to a real mechanic ever since. I do pay more for my oil changes, but he doesn't try to sell me a new air filter every three months, and he uses hand tools and not quick and dirty pneumatic tools where it's not appropriate.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »

Wow. I know, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I walk into the bank dressed badly on a Saturday, and they don't believe I'm the holder of the business account.

I've posted this before. My Uncle and Great-Uncle were involved with bringing over the tech for growing and harvesting a type of shell fish from Europe to Canada. Uncle drives a working pick up truck. He has a deep sea tan, is very weathered, and has callused hands from pulling up ropes.

He was involved in a multimillion dollar (Canadian) deal. He went to the bank wearing Sunday clothes - which for him are handmade sweater, slacks, and decent shoes. So he looked like a fisherman dressed up for Mass.  The receptionist wouldn't let him in the meeting - even after he tried to give his name. She didn't listen just dismissed him.

Now the bank the partners wanted was from away - and most of the officers and their immediate aides were from away. Which is why Uncle really didn't want to do the deal through them. The partners were the ones that needed the deal. So Uncle left. Drove to a bank run by locals. Then he called the partners on one of their mobile phones. He told them what happened and if they wanted the deal, they had x minutes to be at the Island bank.

The partners walked out of their bank and hightailed it to Uncle's bank. The other bank still has branches on the island but they mainly do business with tourists. The locals don't trust them, because of multiple stories of locals being treated this way.

Honestly given the culture there obvious displays of wealth are frowned on. People who flaunt their wealth are considered to be getting above their place and frequently have a reversal of fortune. Usually because other locals stop trusting them. So someone with a small fortune isn't going to look to different from their neighbor who might be living on potatoes and point.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Carnation

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »

I remember those. :P

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
Do cold calls count?

Before cell phones, there were long distance providers who pushed very hard in all sorts of ways to try to get you to sign up with their service. (Including fake 'prize drawings' -- on the back of the form was information in teeny-tiny pale gray type that when you submitted this entry, you were agreeing to have your long distance service switched to XYZ Long Distance.)

One of the more sleazy of these companies called me one day for the umptieth time and the guy launched into a long schpiel about how wonderful his company was and they saved people bazillions of dollars on average, so it was really a great investment to change to them, and wouldn't I like to save 20% on my phone bill?

It was his hard luck that 1) I was tired of getting their calls; and 2)  I was paying bills at the time, so I had my current phone bill AND a calculator right there in front of me. 

"20 percent?  Now let me see, last month my long distance bill was about average for me, and it was $3.87.  20% of that is about 77 cents.  Now, my local carrier charges me $16 to change long distance providers.  That means I will break even in 20 months, give or take a few days.  Do you really think that an 'investment' which takes almost two years to bring you back to the break-even point is a very good one?"

"Ummm..."

"Good, I see you agree with me.  Please put this number on your Do Not Call list.  Have a nice day." *click*

They never called me again!  ;D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Phoebe

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »

Something very similar happened where I work.  We were getting faxes like this addressed to a first name only.  Most of the time we didn't have anyone with the names in our office, but one morning a fax was received with a handwritten note on it saying, "Hey Phoebe, take a look at this, I think you could really use it."  Yeah.  I'm pretty fluffy, if you will, so it would have stung a lot if I'd been the one to find it and no one else even saw it.  But as luck would have it, it was pulled off the fax machine by the other Phoebe in the office who was maybe 125 lbs. soaking wet.  She brought it into my area of the office (open floor plan) and announced in front of the 12 or so employees there, including two area supervisors and the regional director, that she knew it had to be for me because she doesn't need to lose weight.  The RD was between her and my desk so she handed it to him to pass to me. 

She retired a couple years ago and keeps sending me facebook friend requests.  Maybe I should fax her and tell her to forget it?  >:D

Miss March

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
She brought it into my area of the office (open floor plan) and announced in front of the 12 or so employees there, including two area supervisors and the regional director, that she knew it had to be for me because she doesn't need to lose weight.  The RD was between her and my desk so she handed it to him to pass to me.

:o

Excuse me? Please add the part of this story where the Regional Director took her aside and spoke to her sternly about this! I need to know that was not allowed to fly!
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey