Author Topic: DH has no spine (but in this case, that's okay)  (Read 5328 times)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
DH has no spine (but in this case, that's okay)
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »
We are having dinner at our friends' house tonight.  These are very good friends, and the get-together is very casual.  In fact, it started with me asking if they wanted to get together this evening, and they suggested we come over to their house, eat dinner and play some cards.  They're making steak, we're bringing a salad and dessert.  DH went to the store this morning and got all the fixins.

About ten minutes after he walked in the door, my friend called, he answered the phone, and she asked him if he'd like to bring his mega-specialty dish.  Now, DH loves to make this dish, but it requires some special ingredients.

Instead of saying, "oh, friend, I'd love to, but I just got back from the store!", he agreed to make his specialty dish.  So now he's on his way back to the store.

Thing is, our friends would not have minded one bit if he had just told her the truth.  I have no idea why he didn't, but I suspect he's just in need of a spinal implant.

Ah, well, I'm not complaining.  At least I didn't have to go to the store!

chibichan

Re: DH has no spine (but in this case, that's okay)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I guess for good friends , sometimes even the steeliest spine can get a little weak . Since he really loves to make the dish , he was probably kind of flattered that it was requested .

But now I have to know ! What is DH's mega-specialty dish ? We can haz recipe ?
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »
The beautiful thing about friendships is that at times you go trough extra effort/sudden change of plans etc. and you actually enjoy it.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
Penne All'Arrabiata, aka "Angry Penne".  It consists of penne pasta (of course), and a cream sauce with sopracetta, pancetta, sun dried tomatoes, some other veggies and a lot of hot pepper.  It's not something he makes often because it's very expensive and incredibly fattening.  But it is gooooood.

I'd post a recipe but he doesn't use one.  Looks like there are lots of places you can find it online.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
The beautiful thing about friendships is that at times you go trough extra effort/sudden change of plans etc. and you actually enjoy it.
. POD!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

WithoutIssue

• Coffee & Cat Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
Penne All'Arrabiata, aka "Angry Penne". 

lol thread-jack sorry, but I cannot read "Penne All'Arrabiata" without hearing it in Eddie Izzard's voice, donig the Death Star Canteen routine  ;D
A cynic is what the idealist calls a realist.

channa17

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:23:18 AM »
We are having dinner at our friends' house tonight.  These are very good friends, and the get-together is very casual.  In fact, it started with me asking if they wanted to get together this evening, and they suggested we come over to their house, eat dinner and play some cards.  They're making steak, we're bringing a salad and dessert.  DH went to the store this morning and got all the fixins.

About ten minutes after he walked in the door, my friend called, he answered the phone, and she asked him if he'd like to bring his mega-specialty dish.  Now, DH loves to make this dish, but it requires some special ingredients.

Instead of saying, "oh, friend, I'd love to, but I just got back from the store!", he agreed to make his specialty dish.  So now he's on his way back to the store.

Thing is, our friends would not have minded one bit if he had just told her the truth.  I have no idea why he didn't, but I suspect he's just in need of a spinal implant.

Ah, well, I'm not complaining.  At least I didn't have to go to the store!

Maybe he really wanted to make it and was excited regardless of the inconvenience?

goldilocks

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
I have to admit - I have a couple of speciality desserts, and I'm flattered when someone requests them, and I don't mind the extra effort.

Horace

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Penne All'Arrabiata, aka "Angry Penne".

lol thread-jack sorry, but I cannot read "Penne All'Arrabiata" without hearing it in Eddie Izzard's voice, donig the Death Star Canteen routine  ;D

That makes 2 of us ;D "I will have the penne all'arrabiata" "You'll need a tray" ;D

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »
This. My BFF and closest friends can make requests (that I will agree to) that no one else can. I'm not spineless, but I'll do anything for my BFF, husband, parents and brother.

Of course, they never ask for things that I consider unreasonable. I don't think "Please make your super awesome dish, even though it's the last minute" to be unreasonable.

Your thread title suggests you feel he generally doesn't have a spine though, not just in this instance where it didn't matter.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.