News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 18, 2017, 05:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Concessions Did You Ask For When Buying a Home?  (Read 5883 times)

jimithing

Re: What Concessions Did You Ask For When Buying a Home?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »
We got a warranty when we bought our first place, from the seller, and we too have continued it every year since. It has replaced our water heater and took care of a pretty serious plumbing issue. We also are going to need it to repair the A/C when it gets cool enough. I agree that it's been worth the cost.

Ours doesn't have the appliances, but ours are pretty new anyway and still under manufacturer warranty.

sparksals

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »
We got a warranty when we bought our first place, from the seller, and we too have continued it every year since. It has replaced our water heater and took care of a pretty serious plumbing issue. We also are going to need it to repair the A/C when it gets cool enough. I agree that it's been worth the cost.

Ours doesn't have the appliances, but ours are pretty new anyway and still under manufacturer warranty.

You might want to offer the warranty to include the appliances on your condo..  While they are under warranty now, they won't be forever and it will give a buyer piece of mind.  It may give you a slight edge over other sellers - newer appliances PLUS warranty for when they are out of manufacturer warranty.

Our 2 YO fridge started having problems that compounded.  I made the mistake to call Sears instead of the warranty co.  We just replaced the fridge at our expense. 

Which warranty co do you use? 

jimithing

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »

You might want to offer the warranty to include the appliances on your condo..  While they are under warranty now, they won't be forever and it will give a buyer piece of mind.  It may give you a slight edge over other sellers - newer appliances PLUS warranty for when they are out of manufacturer warranty.

Our 2 YO fridge started having problems that compounded.  I made the mistake to call Sears instead of the warranty co.  We just replaced the fridge at our expense. 

It's called Alliance Home Warranty. I've been thinking about looking into other companies if we don't sell. I think it expires in June. It seems a little expensive, and it keeps going up every time we renew.

Melxb

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
This whole thread is fascinating to me because I'm in the process of obtaining financing for my first home.  However "home" will most likely be a condo and not a single family residence.  Still, the more you know, the more empowered you are.  ;D

KimberlyRose

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
Any weird things you saw in your house hunting?

The only weird thing we was was in the house we bought, and still is.  The previous owners took a piece of latticework and attached a whole bunch of fake flowers and 5 beaded butterflies.  They then took this work of art and attached it to the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom.  It's probably tacky, but it makes me smile, so we've left it there.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
Split closing costs, replace furnace and do some other odds and ends around the place. They tried to patch the furnace but when even their inspector refused to sign off on it, because it was leaking carbon monoxide still, they replaced it at the last minute.

Ophelia

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 01:52:22 AM »
For instance, I am fine with changing paint, or even wallpaper. But one place we saw, which is a serious contender if it doesn't sell before we sell our place, has those glow in the dark stars all over the ceiling. In the master bedroom. There must be over 200 of them! I had no idea people still used those, let alone in the master.

I have to say, my parents, having all of us kids out of the house (finally) have threatened me that once my kids are older, they are going to give them (quote) "those stupid glow in the dark stars" ... just as punishment for them trying to remove them from my ceiling.  To note - though they managed to get most of them off prior to re-doing my childhood bedroom, they definitely missed some, and even after painting over them, you can STILL see a faint glow of the few remaining stars that they missed.   (So anyone with kids (or people who put such things in their master bedrooms)... be warned - those stars will last a lifetime!!)

...also for anyone looking into a warranty, look VERY carefully and read reviews.   We had a "warranty" purchased for us by our realtor, and it cost us more than anything, and from the reviews I read afterwards, it seemed like our experience was typical.   We called them out for 3 different issues.  For EVERY SINGLE ONE the contractors that were sent made up excuses as to what was wrong, and why it wasn't covered by our warranty.  Every single instance the contractors were entirely wrong:

1)  One of our burners on our stove wasn't working.  (note:  this was actually an issue found during our inspection when we bought the house, and the previous owners used OUR warranty to fix it, but never paid the copay.  The homeowners insurance tried to come after us for the next year for that copay).  The contractor came out, and "fixed" it.  It stopped working again 3 months after that.    We didn't bother calling again (for this issue - ended up buying a new stove a couple years later).

2)  We reported leaking under our kitchen sink.  Contractor came out, pointed to a pipe that looked cracked.  Said "there's the leak, and this isn't to code, therefore it isn't covered".  Turns out, the faucet was leaking.  We replaced it ourselves.  The "cracked" pipe is still there, and not leaking.

3)  We reported a leak in our toilet.  Contractor pulled the toilet, found a superficial crack in the edge of a pipe.  Said "This is due to improper installation, therefore it isn't covered".   Husband subsequently wiped off some of the plumbers sealant and found the ACTUAL leak in the pipe.  We requested a second evaluation.  Second contractor came and said "This was installed improperly, therefore it isn't covered".   This was the last call.  

The "contractors" that were called were clearly making up reasons why ANY issue wasn't covered by the warranty, and we were wasting ($25?  $50?   I can't recall now) co-pays just to have them come out and make excuses.  We stopped calling at that point and declined to renew.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:07:03 AM by Ophelia »

sparksals

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »

It's called Alliance Home Warranty. I've been thinking about looking into other companies if we don't sell. I think it expires in June. It seems a little expensive, and it keeps going up every time we renew.

Never heard of them before.  Ours just went up to over $500 for the year.  When we first started with them in '05, it was about $350 per year and the copay was $45.  Now it's $60.   You also have to know how they work.   If the repair for which you paid does not fix the problem, you only have 30 days, otherwise, they will keep repairing it.

The reason I got a new stove is because the part that went out was no longer available.  They tried to offer me a buyout that was about half the value and wouldn't get me a new stove.  I told them I wanted it repaired.  They didn't think I would play hardball.  When they couldn't get the new part, they had no choice but to replace.  When they offer you a buyout, you know their hands are tied.   Refuse it.  Insist on a repair b/c chances are, they can't repair it and must get you new and one that is at least or better than what you had.

Mine was a top line from the 90's... had convection and halogen burners.  I got a GE Profile as a replacement.  Not chump change.  What they offer you isn't necessarily equal, so you have to research.  I went shopping around to find a stove that had at least what my last one did. 

You gotta play the game.  They do try to not replace or get you to buy out.  If the original repair does not fix the problem, you must call the company in less than 30 days so you won't have to pay another copay. 

sparksals

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
This is why you have to be armed with knowledge on how it works.  I have never had the problems you described except for one plumbing issue they said was not part of the warranty. 

I honestly don't think that is a problem with the warranty co, but the contractor.  I think many of them rue getting involved with the warranty co's because they make less money on the job.

I kept getting a notice from the home warranty that I owed a copay. It was a call back within 30 days, so one wasn't required, but the contractor said it wasn't paid.  I called for service on something else  and they wouldn't send anyone until it was paid.  I called the home warranty and sent them a copy of the canceled cheque. 

You do have have to be a  bit more vigilant and know what is and isn't covered.  Anything caused by you is not.... it has to be a fault in the system. 

I read all the reviews for the home warranty things too.  They get a bad rap.  People have unrealistic expectations and don't know the tenets of their policy. 

I have not had any problems with American Home Shield.  Anyone looking for a warranty, may want to look into them.  You also don't ahve to be a new homeowner to get a policy.  You could be in the home for years if you want.  Even after we had the stove replaced, they still renewed us.  I heard complaints they dumped you after one replacement, but that didn't happen to us.  We've been with them since "05 and we're on our second house with them.

oogyda

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »
I asked for an island.  In the kitchen. 

Ours was new construction that we saw and paid earnest money on when it was framed.  Once the kitchen cabinets had been built, I pointed out that they left out the "breakfast bar" that was in the floorplan and asked that they make up for the missing storage with an island.  Since the cabinets are custom built-ins, it was a much more reasonable request than tearing out 1/3 of the cabinets to get it right.  And...I like my island.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Mikayla

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
We asked for cash at closing.  We offered a fair price for the value of the condo, but the previous owner had abysmal taste.  I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder, but the walls were red and gold, and she had this blue and orange shag carpeting.  And everything else was canary yellow with stripes.  Her fixtures and faucets were shaped like bird-heads, and....it was awful.  Oh, and a painted mural in the dining room of.....something.

My sis is a realtor and she's seen it all.  Just a few months ago, she was telling about a client who wanted the fish tank and the shower curtain in one of the baths. 

Pinky830

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Our buyer asked us to have the septic tank pumped and one of the roof vents replaced. Fair enough.

The seller of our current house graciously left the curtains, even though I didn't ask for them. The catch was that I didn't like them.  ;) She had moved locally so I called her and insisted that she take them.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
some of these stories are making me giggle a bit   ;D

when i bought my home nearly 9 years ago  it had stood empty for quite a while.   i asked 2 things of the real estate agent to do before i moved in.   

1) put a letterbox up.  the previous one had been nicked

2) remove the pile of dog poo from the end bedroom floor.

;D

both things were done and i happily moved in.

Danismom

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Starting a spin off for home warranty discussion.  I'm in the market to buy one and would love to hear your experiences.

sparksals

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Our buyer asked us to have the septic tank pumped and one of the roof vents replaced. Fair enough.

The seller of our current house graciously left the curtains, even though I didn't ask for them. The catch was that I didn't like them.  ;) She had moved locally so I called her and insisted that she take them.

I think curtains are considered a fixture and must be left for the buyer - depending on area.  If you are not going to leave them, then it is to be stated in the listing they are not included.  Every house I have bought and sold has been this way.  I excluded a few curtains from our last house sale.