Author Topic: Bieber fan needs a lesson from EHell  (Read 7702 times)

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
Bieber fan needs a lesson from EHell
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
I was saddened to hear on NPR about Bieber fans defacing Esperanza Spalding's Wikipedia page after she beat him out for Best New Artist.

http://www.geekosystem.com/esperanza-spalding-wikipedia/
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Bieber fan needs a lesson from EHell
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
I heard that. It's very disappointing that people would act like this. Sore losers.

ETA: I've also heard that her facebook page is taking a beating :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:59:25 PM by PeasNCues »
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

kglory

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
That's ridiculous and so petty.  You just know it's some 13 year old who worships the ground Bieber walks on.  But yeah, not cool at all.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
More disturbing is that it might be a thirty something who worships the ground Bieber walks on.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
I am disgusted by this.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
This highlights one of the problems with Wikipedia.  I find it just as frustrating that somebody has been able to do this without any controls in place to maintain the integrity of the page.  

I understand that Wikipedia operates on a mentality of "everybody might have relevant information to add" but this sort of behavior remains an issue.  

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:16 PM »
Justin Bieber himself is a good example for his fans. Too bad they don't all model him.

I've never heard of him being a sore loser or being a pill about anything. He seems like a fairly relaxed and polite young man. This is commendable since he's only 16 and under quite a lot of pressure and scrutiny, so good on him.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
Justin Bieber himself is a good example for his fans. Too bad they don't all model him.

I've never heard of him being a sore loser or being a pill about anything. He seems like a fairly relaxed and polite young man. This is commendable since he's only 16 and under quite a lot of pressure and scrutiny, so good on him.
I just wanted to clarify that I had no problem with Mr. Bieber himself. He's always seemed like a polite young man and he is good to his fans.

His fans who are acting like this could use a good talking-to. I wonder if Mr. Bieber will comment on this?
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
You know, in the time it took that person to deface the page, s/he could have scrolled down and actually, I don't know, *read* the page to find out who Esperanza Spalding is.  She might not sell a gazillion albums, but I don't believe Justin Bieber has been invited to play at the White House, either, so it all balances out.  The whole thing just leaves me shaking my head.

Orisha

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
Maybe this is too much to ask of a 16-year-old kid, but I'm a bit troubled that Mr. Bieber hasn't yet appeared to have condoned trashing Ms. Spaulding's Wikipedia and Facebook pages....especially since some of the "edits" were racist in nature.  

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
I don't think they care who she is - she is not a teen hearthrob boywhich pretty much seals her fate in their eyes.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

I just wanted to clarify that I had no problem with Mr. Bieber himself. He's always seemed like a polite young man and he is good to his fans.

His fans who are acting like this could use a good talking-to. I wonder if Mr. Bieber will comment on this?
Oh I totally get ya. I just meant that it's too bad these fans don't emulate the person they're a fan of a little more. :)

More extreme version of this: My university hosted the Dalai Lama a number of years ago now. They booked a facility that could seat 5000 people. Tickets immediately sold out. Fights broke out over tickets, so they rebooked to a venue that could seat 20,000 people and everything was okay.

Yes, people got in fight fights over who got to see the Dalai Lama speak. His talk was on Universal Peace. (It was very good. I went. And I didn't even punch anyone for the priviledge of doing so. ;D)

Maybe this is too much to ask of a 16-year-old kid, but I'm a bit troubled that Mr. Bieber hasn't yet appeared to have condoned trashing Ms. Spaulding's Wikipedia and Facebook pages....especially since some of the "edits" were racist in nature. 
Don't you mean to say that you're troubled he hasn't spoken out against the defacement? The way you phrased it makes it sound like you want him to support the defacers.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »

I think you mean "condemned" ;)  But yea, I agree. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Ms_Shell

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »

Oh, no, I highly doubt he'll condone it...even if he feels that way, any agent worth their salt won't allow him to condone racist messages.  Not that I think he does, he seems like a very polite and level headed young man.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »
This highlights one of the problems with Wikipedia.  I find it just as frustrating that somebody has been able to do this without any controls in place to maintain the integrity of the page.  

I understand that Wikipedia operates on a mentality of "everybody might have relevant information to add" but this sort of behavior remains an issue.  

Emma

To be fair, Wikipedia does have editors and moderators to combat this sort of thing. And the comments were removed in a matter of hours I believe. It's not perfect system, but they do have employees in place for this sort of thing.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"