Author Topic: Whoopi Goldberg's 20-year Old Oscar Snub  (Read 6915 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Whoopi Goldberg's 20-year Old Oscar Snub
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 05:59:56 AM »
To me, it seems they didnt include that fact becuase it didnt fit their theme.  They mention other black actors that rose in teh 90's, but the Academy award winner that arose in that same time doesnt get a mention? That's odd.  And the fact that it is mitigating evidence to their theory merits at the very least a mention, even if it's to discredit it as an outlier. Not to mention they talk about types of roles and genres, both things Whoopi was known for.   That's what makes it sloppy journalism, imo.  Not that they missed her specifically, kwim?
I totally agree and I am not a fan of hers.

MissRose

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:31 AM »
If only 7 African Americans have won the Oscar in any acting category, ALL of them should have been named in the article which would have included Whoopi Goldberg for her work in "Ghost".

I have seen a clip of the first African American winner, Hattie McDaniel, who won for "Gone With the Wind", and her acceptance speech would seem out of place today but fit more considering the civil rights movement was a few years away.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
I can see it might have stung Whoopie for personal reasons. She won it for a comic role, which the Academy (and many critics) seem to see as "not quite really acting". Also, she's not a typical glamour girl. She may see it as meaning "Berry won it for REAL acting (i.e., a pretty girl playing a tragic role), Goldberg just got one of those throwaways that are occasionally given as a sop to the public who like to see an award go to a movie they've actually seen. It doesn't really count as a recognition of her talent."

Personally, I believe Whoopie can act ring around Halle Berry, and that may have been what stung her the most.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
The article clearly states that there were 7 before 2002; if people misunderstood, that's unfortunate, but it doesn't make the NYT wrong.

Edited because I found the original article. Hattie McDaniel and Sidney Poitier were mentioned, but others, like Lou Gossett, Jr, were not.

Also, although Whoopi's role in Ghost did have comedic elements, the film was a drama and the role was considered a dramatic, not a comedic, one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:23:59 AM by Wonderflonium »
The status is not quo!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I don't watch the View, but I came across this article on another site and was kind of mystified.  I think the NYT article is perfectly clear: it focuses on the black actors who have won Oscars since Washington and Berry in 2002.  That was supposed to have been a watershed moment for black actors; the article examines whether the nominations/winners really have become more diverse in the intervening nine years.  It was not an article about all black Oscar winners, and thus there was no reason to specifically name Goldberg.

I saw a clip of this View segment, and I found it really over the top.  She said something like, "People all over the world know I won an Oscar!  People in Somalia and China know!"  Really?  But in any case, the NYT article failing to specifically name Goldberg hardly negates her achievement or diminishes how many people around the world know about it.  I don't know; I thought her reaction was kind of embarrassing.  And I normally like Whoopi Goldberg. (Well, I think I do.  I haven't really seen her on the View.)

And this is where I see Whoopi's point.  HER oscar win is actually the watershed for black actors since hers was the first in over 5 decades. 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
I don't watch the View, but I came across this article on another site and was kind of mystified.  I think the NYT article is perfectly clear: it focuses on the black actors who have won Oscars since Washington and Berry in 2002.  That was supposed to have been a watershed moment for black actors; the article examines whether the nominations/winners really have become more diverse in the intervening nine years.  It was not an article about all black Oscar winners, and thus there was no reason to specifically name Goldberg.

I saw a clip of this View segment, and I found it really over the top.  She said something like, "People all over the world know I won an Oscar!  People in Somalia and China know!"  Really?  But in any case, the NYT article failing to specifically name Goldberg hardly negates her achievement or diminishes how many people around the world know about it.  I don't know; I thought her reaction was kind of embarrassing.  And I normally like Whoopi Goldberg. (Well, I think I do.  I haven't really seen her on the View.)

And this is where I see Whoopi's point.  HER oscar win is actually the watershed for black actors since hers was the first in over 5 decades. 
Perhaps it is more accurate to say that these are both examples of historically significant events for african american actors? The NYT may be measuring from a different event, but that doesn't mean they're specifically snubbing those that came before.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
Also, although Whoopi's role in Ghost did have comedic elements, the film was a drama and the role was considered a dramatic, not a comedic, one.

Well, there's no official classification at the Oscars for "dramatic" versus "comic" roles. I think Whoopie's role in that would be considered, by most film students, as being more comedic than otherwise. Which is in no way a slight - creating a comic role that actually moves people emotionally beyond the surface humour is no easier, and may be harder, than creating one where the script throws up all sorts of emotional upheaval. Playing Hamlet isn't necessarily harder, or more artistic, than playing Puck.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
I think I would have been more supportive of Whoopi's argument if she also had mentioned the other black Oscar winners who had won, like Hattie McDaniel, and criticized the NY Times for only focusing on the winners of the past 10 years. But she didn't. All she talked about how she was personally snubbed and how upset and hurtful it was for her. That's why I found her diatribe so OTT. It was definitely all about her.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »

Hers was the first win for a black WOMAN in over 5 decades, not for a black actor (see Sidney Poitier in 1963, Louis Gossett, Jr, in 1982, and Denzel Washington in 1989).
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
The status is not quo!

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
Critic Richard Roeper was chatting about this on the radio here in Chicago and mocking Whoopi's ego. He remarked that he knows a restaurant in Park City, Utah (The Sundance Festival) where the waiters wear T-shirts that say (on the front) "No, I don't know who you are." And on the back, "And I don't care."
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »
Critic Richard Roeper was chatting about this on the radio here in Chicago and mocking Whoopi's ego. He remarked that he knows a restaurant in Park City, Utah (The Sundance Festival) where the waiters wear T-shirts that say (on the front) "No, I don't know who you are." And on the back, "And I don't care."

I guess this is where I'm coming from too.  Whoopi is so full of herself that she actually thinks people should care that her feelers are hurt over something so trivial to so many people. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »

I guess this is where I'm coming from too.  Whoopi is so full of herself that she actually thinks people should care that her feelers are hurt over something so trivial to so many people. 

I don't care where Regis went to dinner but if I wantch Reis and Kelly I will hear about it.  If I watch the View I kinda expect to hear about Whoopi's feelings and opinions  - probabaly part of the reason I don't watch actually.  In this case I do kinda see where she was coming form and it seems like a reasonable topic for the show.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
She apologized today for calling the journalism shoddy.  She said she was still her that herself and others (cuba gooding jr. and a couple others) werent mentioned, but that she' apologized for calling their journalism shoddy. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »
She apologized today for calling the journalism shoddy.  She said she was still her that herself and others (cuba gooding jr. and a couple others) werent mentioned, but that she' apologized for calling their journalism shoddy. 

Seriously, not everyone was mentioned by name. It happens. Hush up, woman! (Whoopi, not DP)
The status is not quo!