Author Topic: Whoopi Goldberg's 20-year Old Oscar Snub  (Read 6432 times)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
Re: Whoopi Goldberg's 20-year Old Oscar Snub
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
Actually, they did mention Hattie McDaniel (and they pictured her, too). Denzel wasn't the first black man to win best actor; Sidney Poitier was (and he was mentioned). The important thing about 2002 was that it was the first time both the best actor and the best actress were black.

Oops! I even knew that about Sidney Poitier and got it wrong in my post.  :P Sorry!

I think you're reinforcing my point, though. If they mentioned Hattie McDaniel and Sidney Poitier, the snub seems all the bigger for Whoopi Goldberg imo.

And, Sabby, I see what you're saying, too, but isn't a newspaper article a lot like an Ehell post? One topic is set up, but we ehellions take it wherever we want to go. You ask if they were rude; we say you were rude (general). You mention a bad restaurant experience, we want to know why you felt it was necessary to call the waiter "old." I think an article like this points out a gap in their journalism more than it does a worthwhile story. Jmo.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »
Rosey,  I don't understand at all what you are saying.
Is it that any time you mention Oscars and Black winners, you have to profile each and every winner or else you are snubbing someone?

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
Rosey,  I don't understand at all what you are saying.
Is it that any time you mention Oscars and Black winners, you have to profile each and every winner or else you are snubbing someone?

You can't really think that's what I meant.

I'm saying that mentioning African-American Oscar winners, unless you are announcing a winner, calls for some attention to previous winners because of how few there have been. If you are calling attention to previous winners, there are a few who stand out as people who broke new territory.

Whoopi Goldeberg and Denzel Washington are on a level playing field imo in terms of what they accomplished for African-Americans at the Oscars. Halle Berry and Sidney Poitier are on their own playing field. Hattie McDaniel is on her own level. If you are going to mention Poitier, you should mention McDaniel. If you are going to mention Washington, you should mention Goldberg. Not because Washington and Poitier are not important, but because there was someone else who cleared the way for them.

In any case, my point here is that I think Whoopi Goldberg has a good point, so if you want to know my position and what I support, you can look at what she said. I agree with her about very little in the grand scheme of things, but here is one place that I am absolutely on her side.

Shannon

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
I think an article about black Americans and Oscars would have been well served by naming all black winners.  After all, there have only been 13.
You know, I think it's a shame that this kerfuffle is taking the attention away from that point.

13! THIRTEEN! How can there only be 13 in all these years, all these categories? That's insane!
Absolutely positively nuts. 83 years!

There have only been thirteen black winners in acting categories. There have also been black Oscar winners in several other categories, such as original score, original song, sound mixing, and screenwriting. The acting categories are the most visible, however, which is probably what makes the paucity of black winners in that category seem more galling.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
I think an article about black Americans and Oscars would have been well served by naming all black winners.  After all, there have only been 13.
You know, I think it's a shame that this kerfuffle is taking the attention away from that point.

13! THIRTEEN! How can there only be 13 in all these years, all these categories? That's insane!

There have only been thirteen black winners in acting categories. There have also been black Oscar winners in several other categories, such as original score, original song, sound mixing, and screenwriting. The acting categories are the most visible, however, which is probably what makes the paucity of black winners in that category seem more galling.

Galling? The Best Actor/Actress Oscars are supposed to be awarded on the basis of the quality of acting performance, not the race of the performer.  I agree that there have been very few blacks awarded the honor as opposed to nonblacks, but it seems to me that if a black person were to be awarded one, it should be on the basis that their performance was better than any other candidate's, regardless of the racial background of each candidate.

It could be argued that the Academy isn't, or hasn't been, not considering quality of acting performance as the sole basis of nominations, but that's a whole other forum.  Let's tone down the use of terms like "galling."  I'm sure the moderators don't want this thread to develop into a heated discussion about race.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

I didn't know that! Thank you!

I agree it is galling, either that there have been so few great roles for black actors and actresses, or that there is something that makes the Academy less predisposed to nominate and award people of color. 

I feel badly for Whoopi in that she must not feel like she gets the attention she needs to make an issue over this.  I do have to say I am shocked The Color Purple won not one single Oscar, but I haven't seen all of the winning pictures from that year.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
Rosey, I get what your saying but I still disagree with you. I don't think it's necassary to profile ALL of the previous Oscar winners, regardless of whether or not they cleared the path, because it's not relevant to the articles subject. It's just not. It wasn't an article about the history of the Oscars, or Black Oscar winners in general; the article was talking about the Oscars since 2002. You can spin it however you want but Whoopi and Cuba and all the other black Oscar winner actors that weren't mentioned are not relevant to the context of the article so I don't believe that it would have been necassary to mention them.

I also disagree that Hattie and and Washington are on the same playing field because her win was for best supporting female actress and his was for best male lead actor. The same with Halle and Portier. She won for best female lead and him for best male lead many years prior to that. None of them are even in the same category so you can't say that they are in thier own playing field. The only comparison would be Washington and Portier, which if memory serves was a comparison made in the article so that's a moot point anyway. IF Whoppi were to be mentioned at all, IMO, it would be in the context of mentioning Hattie as the first black actress to ever win an Oscar and how Whoppi followed her 50 years later in the same category. But, that is still out of context of the article because again, the article was talking about the Oscars since 2002 when two black actors won for leading roles and how it's changed or not changed that much as far as "diversity" since THEN. So, mentioning Whoopie is completely irrelevant since her Oscar was over 20 years ago. Mentioning Mo'nique however is completely appropriate because she's won an Oscar since then and has been one of the only Black actors to win one since that historical moment in 2002. THAT is one of the points that the article was trying to make.

I am sorry but no matter how many ways people try to spin it, Whoopi has NO ground for argument here.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »

Galling? The Best Actor/Actress Oscars are supposed to be awarded on the basis of the quality of acting performance, not the race of the performer.  I agree that there have been very few blacks awarded the honor as opposed to nonblacks, but it seems to me that if a black person were to be awarded one, it should be on the basis that their performance was better than any other candidate's, regardless of the racial background of each candidate.

It could be argued that the Academy isn't, or hasn't been, not considering quality of acting performance as the sole basis of nominations, but that's a whole other forum.  Let's tone down the use of terms like "galling."  I'm sure the moderators don't want this thread to develop into a heated discussion about race.

True.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »

I am sorry but no matter how many ways people try to spin it, Whoopi has NO ground for argument here.

You mean in your opinion, of course.  :)

(No snark intended. Sometimes I like to clarify when people make absolute statements about very subjective issues.)

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »

(No snark intended. Sometimes I like to clarify when people make absolute statements about very subjective issues.)

But of course...  :-*

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »

But of course...  :-*

See, Sabby? That's one of the things I particularly like about you. I would worry that a lot of posters would be offended by my comment, but I figured you would understand.  :D

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

You mean in your opinion, of course.  :)

But of course...  :-*

See, Sabby? That's one of the things I particularly like about you. I would worry that a lot of posters would be offended by my comment, but I figured you would understand.  :D

Eh... we are having a healthy debate here. That's all. I think pretty much all the posters here have been pretty reasonable, though passionate.
You know I don't offend that easy anyway...lol...  :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:27:01 PM by Sabbyfrog2 »