Author Topic: chocolate covered salted caramels  (Read 3189 times)

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
chocolate covered salted caramels
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
You need:

1 9x9 pan, greased up.  I use the cheapo aluminum ones.

1 and 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup water

1 cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons unsalted *real* butter
1 teaspoon sea salt

1 bag bittersweet chocolate (Ghiradelli's has proven, consistently, to work the best here.  trust me.  Use quality ingredients) Don't use semi sweet. 

in one pan, combine the cream, butter and salt.   

In another larger pan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water.

Bring cream stuff just to a boil and remove from heat.

Bring sugar, corn syrup and water to boil.  Boil  Let it boil.  It will boil and boil.  Give it a stir once in a while.  Let it begin to get goldenly.  It can be light golden.  this is going to take a few minutes.  If you have a candy thermometer, go about 250ish.  Just wait until it turns color.

CAREFULLY pour in cream mixture.  It will bubble up furiously.  Boil boil boil.  Stir every so often.  Let it turn color.  You want a nice golden color.  The color it is in the pan is the color the caramels will be. Don't overboil.  The texture will change - it will become creamy looking, but still bubbling up.  Before it gets too dark pour in the greased pan.  Let it cool.  let it sit on the counter for about an hour, then you can pop it in the fridge. 

Once completely firm, pop out of that pan.  The one big caramel should have some give and be sort of soft, but should still retain its shape.  Cut into squares.

Keep in the fridge for the chocolate dipping part.  It helps set the chocolate faster.  Or freeze them.  That works really well.

Melt the chocolate in a small pan on low low heat.  Just enough heat to melt the chocolate.  Stir a lot. 

put waxed paper down on the counter or a large cutting board.

Drop one caramel into the chocolate.  Using a fork or chopsticks, flip it over to coat, then remove, shake off as much chocolate as you can.  Let set on the waxed paper to cool.  Right before the chocolate is set (you will be able to tell... it will lose its sheen) sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.

Put in the pretty frilly cups that are right next to where you get the el cheapo pan at the grocery store.

It took me some practice to get the right texture.  First batch I burned really really bad.  OVER boil.  SEcond batch didn't boil enough to set.  They were ok, but super soft. I have it down to a science now!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.