Author Topic: William and Kate  (Read 12965 times)

Barney girl

Re: William and Kate
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
What's the deal with the invitations going out in the name of the Queen? Since when does the groom's mother host?

Since she's the Queen, I guess :P

Isn't it because the ceremony location belongs to the State?

No, they're getting married in Westminster Abbey. Churches in the UK don't belong to the State.

I'd not seen the invitation before (the paper I read doesn't go in for royalty), but having looked at it I see that the reply is requested to the State Invitations Secretary and the Guardian referred to it as being a 'semi-state occasion'.

LovesWater

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
It still bothers me that they have a 3-tiered guest list.  It would bother me less if they did a little something for the entire guest list.  I really don't understand why they cannot provide some hospitality for all 1900 - they came to wish you well, now you "break bread" with them and have a little celebration.

BB-VA

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
What's the deal with the invitations going out in the name of the Queen? Since when does the groom's mother host?

I believe that happened at the Wales and York weddings as well. I think it's a royal thing.

I doubt that a non-royal would be able to host a wedding in the style to which royals are accustomed.

ETA - not just from a financial standpoint.  Influence and access to various state buildings would make a big difference too - I kinda doubt your average millionaire would be able to have a wedding at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:36:24 AM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »

I believe that happened at the Wales and York weddings as well. I think it's a royal thing.

I doubt that a non-royal would be able to host a wedding in the style to which royals are accustomed.

ETA - not just from a financial standpoint.  Influence and access to various state buildings would make a big difference too - I kinda doubt your average millionaire would be able to have a wedding at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's.

The only people that can be married in Westminster Abbey are members of the Royal Family, Order of the Bath members and their children, and anyone living in the Abbey's Precincts.

As for St Paul's, only members of the Order of St Michael and St George, the Order of the British Empire, holders of the British Empire Medal, and members of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor and their children.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »

The only people that can be married in Westminster Abbey are members of the Royal Family, Order of the Bath members and their children, and anyone living in the Abbey's Precincts.

As for St Paul's, only members of the Order of St Michael and St George, the Order of the British Empire, holders of the British Empire Medal, and members of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor and their children.

So, if they get married, do they get kicked out of the Bachelor Society? ;D

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »

Ha!  :D And what is this Order of the Garter we hear so much about?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
It still bothers me that they have a 3-tiered guest list.  It would bother me less if they did a little something for the entire guest list.  I really don't understand why they cannot provide some hospitality for all 1900 - they came to wish you well, now you "break bread" with them and have a little celebration.

I've heard on the radio today that they do. Their reception is a private event (as opposed to the ceremony which is more of a State occasion) but there will be a different reception for all those who attend the ceremony but aren't invited to their actual reception. 
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Nibsey

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »

It's like a realy prestigious knight order.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Flora Louise

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »

I'm founding my own, The Knights of the Raspberry Beret. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

I heard those weren't that prestigious - you can find them in a secondhand store...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »

I heard those weren't that prestigious - you can find them in a secondhand store...

*snort!*

(That really did make me choke ;D)

Flora Louise

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »

Well, I can see you don't have the gravitas to be a member of the Loyal Order of the Beret.  :)

Nibsey

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »

Well, I can see you don't have the gravitas to be a member of the Loyal Order of the Beret.  :)

ROFL  :D Brillant!
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »

The story I always heard about the name was that the King (Edward III) was dancing with a woman and her garter fell off.  So no one would make fun of her, he picked it up and tied it on his leg and made an honor out of it.  (There are a few other stories about it, but that's the one I like. :))

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »

The story I always heard about the name was that the King (Edward III) was dancing with a woman and her garter fell off.  So no one would make fun of her, he picked it up and tied it on his leg and made an honor out of it.  (There are a few other stories about it, but that's the one I like. :))

Well, here goes the proof that female undergarments on a man are hot.Hee hee.... :-[ >:D ;) well,hee hee aside- lovely gesture, I think  ;)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)