Author Topic: William and Kate  (Read 12393 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: William and Kate
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
So, if they get married, do they get kicked out of the Bachelor Society? ;D

Ha!  :D And what is this Order of the Garter we hear so much about?

It's like a realy prestigious knight order.

The story I always heard about the name was that the King (Edward III) was dancing with a woman and her garter fell off.  So no one would make fun of her, he picked it up and tied it on his leg and made an honor out of it.  (There are a few other stories about it, but that's the one I like. :))

That's the story.  The motto of the Order is what Edward said when someone commented (negatively) on what he did: Honi soit qui mal y pense, which is French for "evil to him who evil thinks."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LovesWater

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 01:19:29 AM »
Thank you Art! for solving a mystery Robert Heinlein put in my head!

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
This Edward sounds like my kind of man. What a gent.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

NutMeg

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:51 AM »
What's the deal with the invitations going out in the name of the Queen? Since when does the groom's mother host?

Seeing as the groom's mother is deceased, it would be extremely odd if she were to host.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

ClaireC79

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 05:17:28 AM »
It may be because the wedding is at Westminster Abbey, only members of the royal family (and a few others) can marry there

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
What's the deal with the invitations going out in the name of the Queen? Since when does the groom's mother host?

Since she's the Queen, I guess :P

That's probably it right there.  Society weddings follow a slightly different set of rules.  In terms of precedence, there is no one higher than the Queen and if she wishes to host the wedding, well, who is going to tell her no?  Also, the afternoon reception is at Buckingham Palace, which is her home.  That makes her the host regardless.

The bride's mother is traditionally seated last.  I think for reasons of security we will probably see Her Majesty be among the first seated.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
It may be because the wedding is at Westminster Abbey, only members of the royal family (and a few others) can marry there

I guess she kind of has to host, if the venue is one only she can use.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Minmom3

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »
Isn't she the host because she's the Queen, AND he's the heir to the throne behind his father, AND members of the royal family, even greatly extended royal family, must ask her permission to get married? 

For example - when Caroline of Monaco married her current husband, he had to ask Queen Elizabeth if he could marry Caroline, since he is a member of the Queen's greater extended family (a German member, not sure how that worked, but I remember reading it in more than one place) and he was a Protestant and Caroline is a Catholic (or was, dunno if she converted). 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
Isn't she the host because she's the Queen, AND he's the heir to the throne behind his father, AND members of the royal family, even greatly extended royal family, must ask her permission to get married? 

For example - when Caroline of Monaco married her current husband, he had to ask Queen Elizabeth if he could marry Caroline, since he is a member of the Queen's greater extended family (a German member, not sure how that worked, but I remember reading it in more than one place) and he was a Protestant and Caroline is a Catholic (or was, dunno if she converted). 

I know that people who convert to Catolicism or marry Catholics cannot be King/Queen or England so they are automatically cut off from the throne succession list (which is pretty huge, btw, look it up on wikipedia if interested ;)

As far as having the Queen's permission to get married- I think (not sure, and I'm really curious if it is so) that everyone who is at a certain point in line for the throne has to ask Her Majesty's permission for getting married by default; and if the Queen does not give her permission, then they have to choose between their marriage of choice and being kept in the throne succession line.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »

Prince Ernst August is way down the list of sucession- or was, because his marriage to Caroline disqualified him from the line. He was something like #400, I think.
He's related to the Queen through Kaiser Wilhelm II, his great-grandfather.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
Actually, I think this is pretty common in  royal weddings, that people are invited to the ceremony but not to a reception, etc.

In those situations, those guests have no gift obligation.

NestHolder

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
The only people that can be married in Westminster Abbey are members of the Royal Family, Order of the Bath members and their children, and anyone living in the Abbey's Precincts.

As for St Paul's, only members of the Order of St Michael and St George, the Order of the British Empire, holders of the British Empire Medal, and members of the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor and their children.

My younger sister was married in St Paul's - but not the main cathedral.  The Order of the British Empire has a chapel below the main body of the cathedral.

marcel

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
Anyone can host. There is no rule as to who the host must be.

Ah, well, I take my guidance from Miss Manners. From her Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavoir, page 609, ". . . social inviations are issued by the hosts . . . The bride's parents are usually the primary, and indeed the only, hosts of a wedding."

I guess the word "usually" could allow exceptions.
Yes, with the word usually Miss Manners makes it clear that there are no rules regarding who hosts.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

marcel

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

Seeing as the groom's mother is deceased, it would be extremely odd if she were to host.
LOL very good point
Wherever you go..... There you are.

irish1

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »

You forget, she's actually the groom's granny!!! A very unusual situation!