Author Topic: Using the "Keep Warm" setting on a crock-pot? What is safe?  (Read 8811 times)

WasabiWithYou

• You have to give in to the champagne sometimes.
Using the "Keep Warm" setting on a crock-pot? What is safe?
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
How long can one safely keep a meat dish in a crock-pot on the "keep warm" setting?

ETA BG: FH and I have a guest arriving Wednesday around dinner time, but I have a prior commitment which will prevent me from arriving home until about 8:15 pm. If I begin a recipe with 7-8 hour cook time at 9:00 am (as I am leaving for work) it will finish cooking around 5:00. Guest is set to arrive between 5:30 to 6:00, and FH will be home to greet him/have dinner. But as I said, I won't be home until later... and I wonder if I should tell FH to put my portion into the fridge until I come home, or just leave it in the crock-pot on "keep warm?"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:11:24 PM by WasabiWithYou »

Elphaba

• It's not easy being green
Re: Using the "Keep Warm" setting on a crock-pot? What is safe?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
Are you talking about food safety and edibility or electrical/fire safety?

WasabiWithYou

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:04:53 PM »
Are you talking about food safety and edibility or electrical/fire safety?

Eh... all of the above? :) But mostly food safety/edibility. Someone will be home keeping an eye on it it, so I am not so worried about electrical/fire safety.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:11:04 PM by WasabiWithYou »

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
I leave my crockpot running all day or all night without checking on it. My taco meat takes about 12 hours to cook down.

I think they're all relatively safe and were made to be left alone. Hence why there's all the recipes telling you to throw it in the crockpot before you leave for work.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:18:17 PM »
If it's fully cooked, it should be relatively safe.  I'd have him put yourp ortion in the fridge however. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
I think it depends on what the food is.   If it is a stew or soup, it will be fine on keep warm.  If it is something that will dry out, then I would put it in the fridge and reheat. 

WasabiWithYou

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »
It's a stew, so not prone to dry out. Nonetheless, I think I'll just ask FH put my portion into the fridge, and I'll just heat it up when I get home. Thanks, all!  :)

kkl123

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
It's a stew, so not prone to dry out. Nonetheless, I think I'll just ask FH put my portion into the fridge, and I'll just heat it up when I get home. Thanks, all!  :)

"Danger" temperatures for food are between 40oF and 140oF.  If it can maintain 140, you're fine.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Danger_Zone/index.asp