Author Topic: I used it with mom! It's a first!  (Read 2559 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
I used it with mom! It's a first!
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »
I've mentioned my mother in the past...  She can be 'difficult' to deal with.  Well, I made up my mind that I'm no longer storing her things for her.  I've had them taking up space in my homes/storage units for the past 11+ years.  I'm loading it all up and driving the 14 hours to bring all her goodies back home to her  ;D  Yes, she can do this herself, but she's getting older & I don't like the thought of her driving alone through mountains in a big rental truck.  She doesn't handle problems well & if something came up...  Well, I'm doing the driving.  DH is helping me load, but the rest is on me (DH would go with me, but mom doesn't like visitors  ::) ).  I'll be getting in town at about noon on Saturday.  Here's where you eHellions have done me well - she wanted to load up a "couple things" to take to a consignment shop across town.  They're too big to fit in her car so she thought "great - big rental van - free labor - woohoo!"  Me, not such a fan.  After loading an entire storage unit, driving it across 4 states and unloading, I'm going to be in no mood/shape to load up more and drive across town.  I told her that "I'm afraid that won't be possible - I'll be getting in too late & we still have lots to unload".   After some hemming & hawwing & a few additional phone calls to try to 'work it out' - the phrase i kept repeating worked :)  Thanks everyone!

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

LazyDaisy

Re: I used it with mom! It's a first!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »
Congratulations and good job! You are my inspiration to do the same with my brother's tools and various other items that he has been storing in my garage for over a year now.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: I used it with mom! It's a first!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
Congratulations and good job! You are my inspiration to do the same with my brother's tools and various other items that he has been storing in my garage for over a year now.

Awesome! 

It's gotten to the point that she could've purchased everything in that storage unit a couple times over with what we've spent in storage fees.  I get it, they're antiques and they're not replaceable, but they're getting dusty, the heat/weather conditions aren't good for them, and they're not getting used or loved.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx