Author Topic: Funerals and Mourning  (Read 17727 times)

snowdragon

Re: Funerals and Mourning
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
Please do not lean on the deceased's casket, on his folded flag, while talking to other people.  >:( :o >:(  Goes double if you're a relative by marriage who's been out of the family for 30+ years. (Why yes, this did happen at my grandfather's funeral. I was too stunned to say anything.)

Or lean on the casket to answer your cell phone. Yeah, that happened.

or place anything in the casket without the express permission of the family.

The Ricker

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
When the bereaved thank you for coming, don't blurt "My pleasure!"

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »

Oh dear.  :o
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
I could easily forgive this, simply because it would be a "blurt" - an automatic response to a familiar social cue. I would also probably get a laugh out of it, but I've got a weird sense of humor.  ;D

(But, I would be mortified if I were the one to say it. :-[ )
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Snowy Owl

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »
I could easily forgive this, simply because it would be a "blurt" - an automatic response to a familiar social cue. I would also probably get a laugh out of it, but I've got a weird sense of humor.  ;D

(But, I would be mortified if I were the one to say it. :-[ )

I'd agree this is probably an automatic and instinctive response rather than something chosen, rather on a par with me, after my grandmother's funeral thanking the undertaker and saying "we'll definitely use your services again."

Funerals can be an awkward situation for everyone and one can sometimes respond on almost automatic pilot. 
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

magician5

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
It took you a while to figure out what to say to me at my mother's viewing. Take a little while longer and decide that maybe, after all, you shouldn't tell me about this friend of yours sells real estate and would be an excellent choice to help sell my mother's house. Particularly, don't give me your friend's card.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »
It took you a while to figure out what to say to me at my mother's viewing. Take a little while longer and decide that maybe, after all, you shouldn't tell me about this friend of yours sells real estate and would be an excellent choice to help sell my mother's house. Particularly, don't give me your friend's card.

Oh...dear. There's a time and a place, but that is not it.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

katycoo

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
Please do not attend the funeral if you do not have a good history with the bereaved at all.

I feel that this should be revised.  If I was very close to the deceased, but had a poor history with the bereaved, I would certainly attend.  I would, however limit my interactions with the bereaved.

MrTango

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
Please do not attend the funeral if you do not have a good history with the bereaved at all.

I feel that this should be revised.  If I was very close to the deceased, but had a poor history with the bereaved, I would certainly attend.  I would, however limit my interactions with the bereaved.

Agreed.  I once attended the funeral of someone I absolutely despised.  I just needed to know that he was really dead.

I arrived just before the service started, sat in the back row of the church, and as soon as the service ended, I walked out to my car and left without speaking with anyone.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
- Not exactly etiquette, but...if you expect that there is likely to be trouble or tension from a particular person or persons, please let your funeral director know. They are trained to handle these situations and can do so quietly, discreetly, and with no one else being the wiser.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 12:03:08 AM »

Agreed.  I once attended the funeral of someone I absolutely despised.  I just needed to know that he was really dead.

I arrived just before the service started, sat in the back row of the church, and as soon as the service ended, I walked out to my car and left without speaking with anyone.

Very inappropriate, IMO.  That's not what funerals/memorial services are for.

katycoo

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 02:00:40 AM »

Yes...MrTango's post wasn't what I had in mind.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

I'd say that's inappropriate only if the mourners will be aware of the other attendee's motivations. If, say, the deceased and the person who despised them had worked together, but kept their disagreements private, it would be okay, because the family would think either "who's that?" or "oh, right, one of his co-workers." That would also apply if the deceased was a local/community leader (say, a teacher or religious leader) who had mistreated someone, and the person who never talked about their grievance publicly, because again, sitting quietly in back isn't making a fuss.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

scotcat60

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »
Make sure you attend the right funeral. I once slipped into a back pew at a crematorium, thinking it was a friend's service, and it wasn't. I got out fast, but it's probably gone down in that family's history, "Who was that strange woman at Grandad's funeral? She left, and we never saw her again"

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »
- Refrain from posting condolences on others' social media sites unless the page owner has acknowledged the death first. They may not have been able to inform everyone they wanted to tell in person yet and you could cause problems by posting, "So sorry to hear about Aunt Lily," when not everyone in their world knows Aunt Lily has died. When in doubt, use private/direct messaging.