Author Topic: Used it at work.  (Read 8940 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Used it at work.
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
While complete silence is usually used to ward off the bad stuff, I used it to avoid arguing with the one who thinks she is always right.

I complimented "The One" on a shirt she was wearing one day. It was a very pretty shirt, and I truly admired it. She starts telling me how she got the shirt. Ended up being a shirt from someone who is from a foreign country. To protect "The One", I will use a planet, but in the exact format she used.

Hi "The One" I really like that shirt, it's beautiful.

Oh, thanks, it came from So and So whose boyfriend gave it to So and So's mom. It didn't fit So and So's mom, so she gave it to So and So, but So and So couldn't wear it either. So and So's boyfriend, is foreign, not from this planet, he's Martian, from Martia.

I just blinked a couple times and walked away. I thought that would be easier that trying to argue wit her that the place is Mars, and that there is no place as Martia.

Shortcake

Re: Used it at work.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
You made a wise decision! You did well not to correct her. I can imagine a lot of folks would say, "Martia? You mean Mars?" You were right to avoid this. especially if she tends to argue and not believe people who try and correct her.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Phoebe

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
 :D ;D :D ;D :o ??? ;D :D ;D

Laughing so hard my face hurts!!!!!

Mahdoumi

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
Wonderfully, do you sit on the other side of my coworker?  She's a lovely woman, but she cannot respond to anything without a long, drawn-out explanation full of minutiae that could make her listener want to scream.  I posted here about how to respond to her incorrect usage, and I received good replies to do exactly as you did.  Keep quiet and train my ear to ignore it.

holly firestorm

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
And did you know that people who live north of the United States are from Canadia?

Julia S

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
I'm Dutch, so I'm from Dutchland or Deutschland. Yes, that was really said to me with a straight face. ::)

channa17

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:48:20 PM »
I don't know anyone from Norwegia, but my husband and I are United Statesian.  His family is originally from Germania and Irishland, and I'm Polandian on one side and Armenian on the other, though the Armenians used to live in Turkey, so their dialect is influenced by Turkeyan.

(I can't find a way to make "Armenian" sound funny because it actually follows the construction of the OP's colleague's sentence).

Jan74

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:28:16 AM »
I've heard someone ask an Armenian person we both know if he was "Aminian".

So there you go.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »
I am thinking that Illinoia might save a lot of confusion when we travel to Wahingtonia or Floridia. No pesky 's' to deal with.

Ed: I had to come back and run that through Spell Check. It was not happy with me.

phred246

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
The first thought I had...

"Martia, Martia, Martia"

My ancestry is Britainia and Silesia, and I was born and raised in Pennsylvania!
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

Nora

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
I don't know anyone from Norwegia, but my husband and I are United Statesian.  His family is originally from Germania and Irishland, and I'm Polandian on one side and Armenian on the other, though the Armenians used to live in Turkey, so their dialect is influenced by Turkeyan.

(I can't find a way to make "Armenian" sound funny because it actually follows the construction of the OP's colleague's sentence).

Norgvegia is the most eaten cheese in Norway. Tru fact.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:26:15 AM by Nora »
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
I guess I was born in Bostonia.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Lynda_34

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »
And did you know that people who live north of the United States are from Canadia?

You're sure it wasn't from Candidia? ;D