Author Topic: Complete Silence Via Email?  (Read 8131 times)

aloe

Re: Complete Silence Via Email?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:58 AM »
If I received the e-mail, I would have not replied and then blocked the person so I wouldn't be subject to further contact.  My thinking is, "If the message made me feel very uncomfortable, then it is in my best interest to ignore the message and its sender."

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
I thought about this a little more and I think I would tell my co-worker that her friend asked me where she could buy drugs.
I would want to know if I had a friend that did this, because it reflects upon her for introducing this woman to you.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
Is this activity illegal in te destination country? Because if not, I don't think it's that big of a deal that she asked about it.
That said, if it makes you uncomfortable,  don't respond, but tell your co worker why. Maybe you could verbally pass on recommendations through coworker and just explain that you don't feel comfortable responding to that email via work?
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
Is this activity illegal in te destination country? Because if not, I don't think it's that big of a deal that she asked about it.

That's not really the point. What if it were, say, someone looking for an underaged scrabble partner in a country where it's not illegal?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »

That's not really the point. What if it were, say, someone looking for an underaged scrabble partner in a country where it's not illegal?

Well then you get into personal morality.  Personally, if someone wants to engage in the use of certain drugs here in the US (where it's illegal), I don't care.  If they want to do it in a country where that drug is legal, I say have at it (although I probably wouldn't assist them because I don't want to get in trouble).  However, regardless of a nation's laws, I find scrabble with a minor immoral and not only would I not help someone engage such activity, I would report them to our authorities (even if it's legal in another country, American citizens are bound by the laws of this country).

If I were in the OP's situation, I might be annoyed that they asked such a question on my work account but not at the question itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Julia S

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
I've been asked this question, though never via work email, and I've answered (if I could). Of course this was mostly in Holland, where I could just refer people to the nearest coffee shop. :P If I knew them personally, I'd tell them of my favourite place (not for the smokes because I haven't used in years, but for the staff and the awesome music) and the one with the best reputation when it comes to quality.

In London, I'd tell you to go to a certain area (very touristy and plenty to see even if you're not after drugs), not because I've bought anything there, but because you only have to walk around and people will whisper to you: "Dope? Pills?"
I'm 100% certain the police know about this practice in that area (they probably know most, if not all, of the dealers anyway). I assume people know that drugs are illegal here in the UK when they visit, so I don't feel I should warn them about it. Not my business.

If the question was asked through my work email, I'd ignore it and give the other information.

I tend to end up in jobs where the boss would be the person to ask that question, though. :P

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
Twik - You're comparing those two things? You think they're on the same level??  I guess I cant really have a reasoned debate with you then, as I wholeheartedly disagree they're on the same level at all.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

irish1

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
For what it's worth, OP, my advice - Delete, re delete, by all means answer her innocent questions from your personal account, and if it would be at all convenient and not awkward to do so, let your boss know that you have no idea where this came from and do not endorse illegal activity. Just to cover all balls!

JillyJ

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 11:05:29 PM »
I did just ignore it, and no it's not legal in the country in question.  I don't do drugs, wouldn't have a clue as to where to buy them, but don't really pass judgement on those that choose to smoke recreationally.  I mostly was just stunned that anyone would basically "introduce themselves" to a complete stranger by asking where to score.  As it is, my co-worker never mentioned it again, and the girl never wrote back.