Author Topic: Rosie O'Donnell Insults Glee's Ashley Fink  (Read 4686 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Rosie O'Donnell Insults Glee's Ashley Fink
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-rosie-odonnell-vs.-glees-ashley-fink/

I didn't hear about this story until the apology came out.

For those who don't watch Glee, Ashley Fink plays Lauren Zizes, who is currently being pursued by Noah "Puck" Puckerman. Puck is wicked hot (IMO). Lauren is a plus-sized girl with swagger. Apparently, Rosie O'Donnell said the relationship was completely unbelievable and asked why they couldn't get a "pretty heavy girl." Oy.

What really bothers me is that in her apology she said she is "often misquoted." She didn't, however, say she was misquoted here. To me, this seems like a sneaky and deceitful way to try to weasel out of taking full responsibility for what she said. Thoughts?

Oh, and pics of the people in question:

Mark Salling, aka Puck:

Ashley Fink, aka Lauren:

The status is not quo!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Rosie O'Donnell Insults Glee's Ashley Fink
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Rosie spews insulting diatribe on a daily basis.

I am no longer shocked at the things she says.

Poor Ashley, I love her acting and her character's swagger.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
I have very little doubt that Rosie said it. I wouldn't say that she's exactly the paragon of grace and charm.

I find it very unfortunate. People just can't win. If the "fat girl" never gets the hot guy, critics claim discrimination and that it's only hot skinny chicks who have successful relationships. You finally have a character outside the norm of what you see on TV, and it completely unrealistic and could never happen? It's all too bad.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:05 PM »
Whoopi Goldberg expects the world to fall at her feet, but spews insulting diatribe on a daily basis.

It wasn't Whoopi. It was another The View alumnus. Rosie O'Donnell.

Penguinity

• It's Penguins all the way down
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
Why is it completely unbelievable? Because when it's the bumbling guy with the stunning wife it's just TV.

She's lovely. She's overweight. Those are not her most important adjectives.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
Whoopi Goldberg expects the world to fall at her feet, but spews insulting diatribe on a daily basis.

It wasn't Whoopi. It was another The View alumnus. Rosie O'Donnell.

Lol yeah, sorry, I was thinking of the other thread while I was typing! I corrected my post. :)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

MaggieB

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
Well, even the quote in the article just says that is one of the things Rosie has been hearing about the storyline.  I didn't see where Rosie offered a personal opinion at all.  She just said the storyline is striking a cord with a lot of heavier women for different reasons.  Some people think Lauren should be prettier/more likable.

At least in the quote that article used.

Personally, I like the character.  And after having relations/hips with Santana and Quinn we know nice girls are not Puck's thing.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Well, even the quote in the article just says that is one of the things Rosie has been hearing about the storyline.  I didn't see where Rosie offered a personal opinion at all.  She just said the storyline is striking a cord with a lot of heavier women for different reasons.  Some people think Lauren should be prettier/more likable.

As someone who isn't a Rosie fan, I actually don't see where Rosie was actually the one doing the commenting either. I read it like she was relaying feedback that SHE was getting about it, not that she actually thought that.

Personally, I love Finks character.  She's not afraid of being herself and doesn't seem jaded by the desire to fit in and be popular that the others have. She's just who she is and isnt gonna let anyone tell her that she isn't desireable. She calls people out on thier crap, and takes no crap from anyone. And most importantly, SHE thinks she's beautiful and worth being "wooed"! I think that every woman should have that kind of confidence! 

And, the fact that SHE'S the one being pursued to me is even better. I mean, most average sized girls would likely swoon at someone like Puck asking them out, and she didn't. It's great that the writers are writing her so strongly. They are going against the standard formula for that kind of romance and I find it refreshing. 

kglory

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »
Wow, that's pretty rude.   And Rosie O'Donnell is no size 0 herself, either.  Not that it would be a nice thing for any person to say, but how wrong for a heavier woman to put down another woman for being too heavy. 

MyFamily

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »
I cannot read the article, the site is blocked at my job, but I really want to say that Fink's positive physical attributes are not highlighted in the show - her smile is beautiful, and I've never really seen that before I saw the picture posted above.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »

As someone who isn't a Rosie fan, I actually don't see where Rosie was actually the one doing the commenting either. I read it like she was relaying feedback that SHE was getting about it, not that she actually thought that.

Well, but I think it's one of those cases where it's kinder not to pass along the gossip. We talk here sometimes about people who aren't really doing their friend any favors by relaying every insulting thing ever said about them behind their back.

leafeater

• Cool Stuff Onlie
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
As I'm reading it, the complaint Rosie had wasn't that Ashley was heavy, it was that she wasn't pretty.

Maybe she was trying to make the point that if we're going to portray overweight heroines, let's have them be beautiful and show that large women can be pretty too?

Regardless, if that's her issue, I still disagree...Ashley's very pretty.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:37 PM »
Here's another article: http://www.accesshollywood.com/rosie-odonnell-rants-about-miley-billy-ray-cyrus-and-glees-full-figured-addition-she-strikes-a-chord-with-every-overweight-woman-i-know_article_44063

I don't care if she was just repeating what she'd heard or not; she really should have stopped short of saying that Lauren isn't pretty. I mean, dang.
The status is not quo!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
I have very little doubt that Rosie said it. I wouldn't say that she's exactly the paragon of grace and charm.

Does anyone remember a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, where Rosie had just started her talk show and was called "The Queen of Nice"?

... I hear crickets chirping.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RedDwarf

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
chh, like anything in Glee is believable. :p Puck likes Lauren because she's so strong. Simple enough for a teenage boy!
http://notebookinhand.com For creative people.