Author Topic: Rosie O'Donnell Insults Glee's Ashley Fink  (Read 4785 times)

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
Re: Rosie O'Donnell Insults Glee's Ashley Fink
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »
Well, even the quote in the article just says that is one of the things Rosie has been hearing about the storyline.  I didn't see where Rosie offered a personal opinion at all.  She just said the storyline is striking a cord with a lot of heavier women for different reasons.  Some people think Lauren should be prettier/more likable.

At least in the quote that article used.

As someone who isn't a Rosie fan, I actually don't see where Rosie was actually the one doing the commenting either. I read it like she was relaying feedback that SHE was getting about it, not that she actually thought that.

Well, but I think it's one of those cases where it's kinder not to pass along the gossip. We talk here sometimes about people who aren't really doing their friend any favors by relaying every insulting thing ever said about them behind their back.

Oh of course I agree. I just had a hard time vilianizing her 100% about it. I think passing along what she's heard is uncouth as well, but at least she wasn't making the comments herself. (although, it's very easy for her to say she's just passing it along because it does give her plausable deniability, but I am taking it at face value.)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
Actually she is a pretty girl.  She's playing a character.

Just like America Ferrara, who is not ugly, portrayed Ugly Betty.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
I have very little doubt that Rosie said it. I wouldn't say that she's exactly the paragon of grace and charm.

I find it very unfortunate. People just can't win. If the "fat girl" never gets the hot guy, critics claim discrimination and that it's only hot skinny chicks who have successful relationships. You finally have a character outside the norm of what you see on TV, and it completely unrealistic and could never happen? It's all too bad.

Agreed.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
Sounded like a sincere apology to me with three words being taken out of context - 'oft Misquoted Rosie' .  Why focus on three words when the full apology sounded sincere?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Sounded like a sincere apology to me with three words being taken out of context - 'oft Misquoted Rosie' .  Why focus on three words when the full apology sounded sincere?

Because she's the one who says she is often misquoted. If she wasn't misquoted here, then that fact is completely irrelevant and sounds like she's trying to subtly imply that she might have been here. It's slimy.
The status is not quo!

Glaceon

• Pokemon Trainer
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
I have very little doubt that Rosie said it. I wouldn't say that she's exactly the paragon of grace and charm.

Does anyone remember a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, where Rosie had just started her talk show and was called "The Queen of Nice"?

... I hear crickets chirping.

Oh, yes.  I would watch her every day after school.  I loved her.  And then I learned it was all pretty much an act.  I don't necessarily mind assertive, even somewhat abrasive people, but I don't care for phonies.  Not to mention she's just nasty a good deal of the time.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »

Because she's the one who says she is often misquoted. If she wasn't misquoted here, then that fact is completely irrelevant and sounds like she's trying to subtly imply that she might have been here. It's slimy.

Well...if she'd been quoted as having herself said the particular remark rather than quoting what someone else said TO her, then that does count as being misquoted. I'm not taking any sides in this, but there is a difference between originating a remark and repeating it.

If say, "Belinda told me she thinks Annabelle wears too much makeup" and that gets translated to, "Cathy said Annabelle wears too much makeup" - then I have been misquoted.