Author Topic: opting out of new replies on posts  (Read 1171 times)

auntmeegs

opting out of new replies on posts
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
Hi Everyone
Does anyone know the procedure for sending a message to the mods?  
Alternately, does anyone know how to oft out of receiving new replies to a certian post?  

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: opting out of new replies on posts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Hi Everyone
Alternately, does anyone know how to oft out of receiving new replies to a certian post?  

You can PM any one of the mods, or if you are reporting a thread, click on Report to Moderator.

Unfortunately, you can't totally opt out of getting new replies to a thread. When it keeps coming up, you can click on Show All Messages as Read (I think is what it's called), but the next time someone posts in a thread in which you've posted, it's going to come up as a new reply.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I Think if you delete your posts in that thread it'll stop. But I'm not 100% sure, and I think it's not a good idea to delete your posts (esp if multiple) in a thread.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

evely28

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »
Hi Everyone

Click on 'NOTIFY'  and then click on ok when the 'are you sure you want to disable notification' box comes up.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:41 AM »
Evelyn is right... no need to delete posts in a thread so as not to be notified!  You can also click 'unsubscribe' from the email notification of that thread and you will be removed from the list for that specific thread message notifications.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 01:41:32 AM »
Hi Everyone

Click on 'NOTIFY'  and then click on ok when the 'are you sure you want to disable notification' box comes up.

But that won't stop threads with new replies from showing in your list when you click the "Show new replies to your posts," link at the top of the page, will it? 

'Cause if it will, I'm so there.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:16:47 AM »
Apparently not, since I turned off the Notify feature ages ago. I still have e-mail notifications I need to get cleared out of my box.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
If you have posted on a thread, it will continue to show up when you click "show new replies to your posts." What I do is to read all the new posts I want to and just click the "mark all messages as read" button when I'm done. That will remove the unwanted threads, until a new post is made on them.

If you don't need to post, but do want to follow a thread, then click "notify" on the right at the top of the posts. That will give you notices when new posts are made. And you can undo it if you want to stop following the thread.

Many people do post on a thread just to make sure they get updates. It works, but the "notify" button does the same thing and gives you the option of cancelling the notifications if you want to.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
Evelyn is right... no need to delete posts in a thread so as not to be notified!  You can also click 'unsubscribe' from the email notification of that thread and you will be removed from the list for that specific thread message notifications.

Ahhhh - I misunderstood.  My message above is for email notifications.  I forgot about the 'unread messages' list. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
If you don't want to follow a thread, merely leave the link to it in "updated posts" or "updated responses" unclicked on.

If you're already following it and don't want to follow it anymore, click "unsubscribe" from the E-mail notification of that thread.  I think it may also be possible to do this on a folder basis as well.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC