News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 04:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories  (Read 20383 times)

hjaye

Re: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »
Another part of job hunting that I think has become useless are the job fairs.

Now it has been awhile since I've attended one, I was laid off in December of 2008 and did not find my current job until the end of August 2009, so I went to a lot of the job fairs and they were beyond useless.  People would queue up and stand in line for thirty minutes or more to hand in a resume to a company.  The person manning the table would put the resume in a pile, tell the job seeker to go on line and fill out an on line resume (not application, just submit a resume)

they would not know what kind of positions were available at their company, again, go on line and see what was posted, if we saw one that we felt was a good fit, then go ahead and apply for it.  The whole thing was a huge waste of time and effort.

And on another note, attending training sessions at the local unemployment office (in Texas they are the Texas Workforce Commission)  I went to one of their sessions, and the person conducting it was telling us how important it was to attend the job fairs.  He then told us a story about attending one just to see what companies were there and what they were looking for.  He stopped to talk to one of the recruiters, and after talking to him for thirty minutes he said the recruiter offered him a job on the spot starting at 80,000 dollars a year.  He told this story to emphasize how important it is to look and act professional since you never know where it will get you.  (Not that this is bad advice)

I asked this person exactly what the job was where someone would offer it to him with no vetting of his background, no resume and no real knowledge of his skills.  He replied that it was a while back when this happened and he didn't remember trivial details like what the job would actually be. 

Personally I was willing to call BS on him.  Either it never happened, or it's one of those, I like you why don't you sell vacuum cleaners for us, we'll hire you on the spot and you have an earning POTENTIAL of 80,000 dollars a year.

MissRose

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
I got hired by the company I worked for by going to a job fair.  The person at the table took my resume, looked at it and asked me when I could interview.  I said in a day or so, and was hired within a few weeks time.

Now it has been awhile since I've attended one, I was laid off in December of 2008 and did not find my current job until the end of August 2009, so I went to a lot of the job fairs and they were beyond useless.  People would queue up and stand in line for thirty minutes or more to hand in a resume to a company.  The person manning the table would put the resume in a pile, tell the job seeker to go on line and fill out an on line resume (not application, just submit a resume)

they would not know what kind of positions were available at their company, again, go on line and see what was posted, if we saw one that we felt was a good fit, then go ahead and apply for it.  The whole thing was a huge waste of time and effort.

And on another note, attending training sessions at the local unemployment office (in Texas they are the Texas Workforce Commission)  I went to one of their sessions, and the person conducting it was telling us how important it was to attend the job fairs.  He then told us a story about attending one just to see what companies were there and what they were looking for.  He stopped to talk to one of the recruiters, and after talking to him for thirty minutes he said the recruiter offered him a job on the spot starting at 80,000 dollars a year.  He told this story to emphasize how important it is to look and act professional since you never know where it will get you.  (Not that this is bad advice)

I asked this person exactly what the job was where someone would offer it to him with no vetting of his background, no resume and no real knowledge of his skills.  He replied that it was a while back when this happened and he didn't remember trivial details like what the job would actually be. 

Personally I was willing to call BS on him.  Either it never happened, or it's one of those, I like you why don't you sell vacuum cleaners for us, we'll hire you on the spot and you have an earning POTENTIAL of 80,000 dollars a year.

hjaye

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
I got hired by the company I worked for by going to a job fair.  The person at the table took my resume, looked at it and asked me when I could interview.  I said in a day or so, and was hired within a few weeks time.

I'm glad it worked for you, that was just my experience on all the job fairs I attended. 

I had to laugh at one sign I saw at one of the fairs.  I'm in IT so they all had to do with some aspect of information technology.  This one sign outside a recruiters booth stated they were looking for a System Engineer who could take care of all their servers including email, they needed to be able to write scripts, work with some programming technology, be a database administrator and also a network engineer, preferably a CCIE.

For those who don't know a CCIE is the top certification granted by Cisco.  Now anyone of those skills is a career path unto itself, but if someone is a CCIE, you can be pretty sure they are not interested in any of the other job requirements.  A lot of the recruiters don't have a clue as to what they are asking for.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
It seems to me though that there are factories that could totally make it work if they just invested in a school bus to shuttle workers to and form the main public transit line.

This.  And sometimes it takes just changing the shift schedules so they coincide with the first and second-to-last bus.

A number of years ago a large plant wanted to move to my state, and as part of the deal the state offered, they built a shiny new freeway on/off ramp to the area the plant wanted to locate into and created a new bus line just to the plant.

The off-ramp is still used today by the few people who live out there, but the plant is shuttered.  They had a hard time finding workers who wanted to work way out there when it wasn't accessible by public transportation.

But what of the bus line, you may ask?

Well most of  the plant's workers (a couple hundred people) were mainly on two shifts - 7 pm to 7 am and 7 am to 7 pm 7 days a week.  There were also 20 - 30 people scheduled from 8 am to 5 pm. Monday through Friday

So the bus line that ran to the plant?  It ran from 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday.  It wasn't useful for anyone.

Sirius

« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Let me add another one. I'm sort-of changing jobs (another merger/acquisition) and the new company does background checks. I just got an e-mail from HR saying that they were unable to verify my address and could I please send a copy of a utility bill, etc.? I seriously question the skill of the company they hired to do the check. I've lived at, and owned, this address for 14 years. It's all over public records including the assessor's office. It's all over my credit history.  Heck, typing in my name and the address into Google brings up dozens of records.

In 2014 we got a tax bill that was addressed to our old residence.  The thing was, we'd moved in 2012, and our 2013 tax bill came to the correct address.  Then, in 2014, our address reverted to our old address, and the tax bill was returned to the county tax assessor's office, who then resent to the property on which the taxes were assessed with this notice about how, if the tax payment was late, it wasn't their fault as we hadn't changed our address.  I wrote them a letter and notified them about the changed address, and it's been coming to the correct address since.  Makes me wonder sometimes. 

sejeroo

« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
Let me add another one. I'm sort-of changing jobs (another merger/acquisition) and the new company does background checks. I just got an e-mail from HR saying that they were unable to verify my address and could I please send a copy of a utility bill, etc.? I seriously question the skill of the company they hired to do the check. I've lived at, and owned, this address for 14 years. It's all over public records including the assessor's office. It's all over my credit history.  Heck, typing in my name and the address into Google brings up dozens of records.

In 2014 we got a tax bill that was addressed to our old residence.  The thing was, we'd moved in 2012, and our 2013 tax bill came to the correct address.  Then, in 2014, our address reverted to our old address, and the tax bill was returned to the county tax assessor's office, who then resent to the property on which the taxes were assessed with this notice about how, if the tax payment was late, it wasn't their fault as we hadn't changed our address.  I wrote them a letter and notified them about the changed address, and it's been coming to the correct address since.  Makes me wonder sometimes.

I don't know if this is why- but the PO will forward mail for a year. Is it possible the 2013 bill delivered to the correct address, but was actually addressed to your old address? It seems weird, but there are actually regulations (at least in the US) about when/if certain companies can change your address in their system. I'm not positive about tax offices, but my guess is that they can't change your address on their own.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »

I don't know if this is why- but the PO will forward mail for a year. Is it possible the 2013 bill delivered to the correct address, but was actually addressed to your old address? It seems weird, but there are actually regulations (at least in the US) about when/if certain companies can change your address in their system. I'm not positive about tax offices, but my guess is that they can't change your address on their own.

But the tax office would HAVE their new address! As soon as they purchased another property, the address would be updated in the system.This is for property taxes, not federal taxes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sirius

« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
I don't know what happened or why it happened - all I know is that our 2013 tax statement came to the house we'd bought in 2012 and moved into as it was supposed to.  Our 2014 tax statement was sent to our old address, even though the tax statement stated that the property involved was our house that we moved into 2012.  It was just one of those strange things that happens sometimes. 

DanaJ

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
I don't know what happened or why it happened - all I know is that our 2013 tax statement came to the house we'd bought in 2012 and moved into as it was supposed to.  Our 2014 tax statement was sent to our old address, even though the tax statement stated that the property involved was our house that we moved into 2012.  It was just one of those strange things that happens sometimes.

Sounds like a data-base whoopsie. At my job I have to de-dupe marketing lists because sometimes we have two entries for the same person that was caused by some kind of data-entry error (usually caused by an employee not paying attention) when an entry was updated.

mimi1318

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »
I had been out of work for a while and put in for some work at the temporary help pool at the nearby Big University where I had worked in the past, and got a job doing some administrative work. It was only a temporary job, but hey, it was work and I needed it. Two hours later Big University calls and says the department I had been hired in changed their mind and I didn't have a job after all.

A friend of mine had the same type of thing happened, only his job offer lasted 12 minutes. He interviewed, was the perfect fit for a job coming up on contract, and they called and formally extended the offer. Then his boss got word of a hiring freeze and 12 minutes later called him back to say they just had to wait out the freeze. Unfortunately, by the time the freeze was lifted months later, the contract had gone to another company.

I worked with a woman that has applied for and got a job in the administration  office of a mall as it was much closer to home. So she put her notice in, cashed out her profit-sharing account and left.  She showed up for her first day and was told that one of the part-time workers decided that they wanted the job and it was given to them instead and was no longer available.  She ended up going to to the labour relations board and sued them and won.

Shalamar

« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 09:56:13 AM »
I think I've told this story before - my mum used to work part-time for the government, and after she'd been doing the job for a couple of years, she had to re-apply for it due to some rule or another.  She was assured that this was only a formality, because of course she'd get it!  She didn't.

pattycake

« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 01:22:25 PM »
I think I've told this story before - my mum used to work part-time for the government, and after she'd been doing the job for a couple of years, she had to re-apply for it due to some rule or another.  She was assured that this was only a formality, because of course she'd get it!  She didn't.

Did she lose her job entirely, or did she get shuffled off into another department?

malfoyfan13

« Reply #132 on: Yesterday at 01:22:35 PM »
Re: job fairs - I noticed that at the ones I've been to, or ones my son went to back in the day, that most of the recruiters were fast-food places, the military, police/sheriffs, big-box stores and some other random places.  I found them useless.  At the time I was 57.  Most of these recruiters are looking for people under 30.  Someone should make a job fair for older people.  (Yeah, I know, we're all useless/over-the-hill/invisible/unemployable because we're dinosaurs, but I had to throw that in anyway.)

My son did end up joining the military but he went down to the local recruiting office to do so.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #133 on: Yesterday at 04:41:00 PM »
Re: job fairs - I noticed that at the ones I've been to, or ones my son went to back in the day, that most of the recruiters were fast-food places, the military, police/sheriffs, big-box stores and some other random places.  I found them useless.  At the time I was 57.  Most of these recruiters are looking for people under 30.  Someone should make a job fair for older people.  (Yeah, I know, we're all useless/over-the-hill/invisible/unemployable because we're dinosaurs, but I had to throw that in anyway.)

My son did end up joining the military but he went down to the local recruiting office to do so.

Public Job fairs tend to be a bit useless.  I have noticed that higher ed job fairs tend to have a really good mix of companies.  If it's aimed at graduate students then the quality of jobs is even higher.  Some schools will allow outsiders into their job fairs and some won't.  It all depends on the career office.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 05:09:50 PM »

Public Job fairs tend to be a bit useless.  I have noticed that higher ed job fairs tend to have a really good mix of companies.  If it's aimed at graduate students then the quality of jobs is even higher.  Some schools will allow outsiders into their job fairs and some won't.  It all depends on the career office.

The ones held at Colleges are open to the public usually and tend to be a bit higher end as they are geared towards upcoming graduates. There are some lower level jobs also that are geared towards students just seeking PT employment.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah