News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 11:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have you ever broken or damaged something belonging to someone else?  (Read 1614 times)

lilfox

Re: Have you ever broken or damaged something belonging to someone else?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 04:24:41 PM »
I snapped the faucet in my parents' bathroom! Apparently it was in the process of rusting through -- thanks for the warning, Dad! -- and when I twisted, it came right off.

Thankfully my parents thought it was hilarious, and my dad had already purchased the replacement faucet. I sent DH over to help install the new one, because I know how much my dad hates plumbing jobs. (I'm nice like that!  ;D)

DD still teases me about my "super-strength" that day.

I pulled off the rear-view mirror in my parents' car - the metal just snapped in half.  They kept asking me how that could possibly have happened, given that I'm petite and have no stronger than average upper body strength.  Um, metal fatigue?  They had a second car and it wasn't a hardship to replace the mirror.  Not long after that, my brother damaged the automatic transmission enough that the car had to be shifted manually from park to 1, 2, and then D (no clutch, had to gauge by sound/RPM).  I think they donated that car a few years later, it can't have had much resale value left.

I ruined a friend's VHS dubbing of a little-known show, so I had to track it down and pay outrageously for another, apparently rare, copy on eBay before I even told him.  He was okay with that, fortunately.  The next year it was officially released as a DVD.   ::)

geekette

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
I know I must've broken a hundred things belonging to other people (I'm clumsy), but right now all I can think of is the time I was seven and broke my brother's wooden toy train on purpose as revenge for him breaking my china tea set on purpose. I'm still torn between feeling guilty and vindictive, because I broke the train on the glue-seam and it could be fixed, but my tea set was completely shattered.

My dad broke my car, though!
The gearbox was wearing out; I knew it, had talked to the mechanic about it, and he was looking into getting a replacement - but because my car was old and they didn't make that version anymore, so he needed to find a second hard part it was taking a while. In the meantime, I could drive my car safely, but I was to avoid top gear because that was where it was most worn.
So my dad borrowed my car, and I told him that was fine BUT he wasn't allowed to use 5th gear.
He got two streets onto the main road, and then moved into top gear because he Knew Better and knew that it would be fine.
There was a ka-thunk noise.
And then he saw the gear box through the rear view mirror, lying in middle of the road behind him.
And then, naturally, the car stopped accelerating. He had to coast to the side of the road and call for a pick-up truck.

(The replacement gearbox came in three weeks later, and dad very sheepishly paid the lion's share as an apology. But I was so mad at him for those three weeks - I was without a car during my exam period!)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »
When I was moving into my last house, my Dad was helping with his pick-up truck.  It had racks on the top of the cab.  Dad thought he could clear the garage door and back right into the garage to make unloading easier.  He was wrong.  He broke the door enough that it wouldn't close all the way; there was about an 18 inch gap at the bottom.

I'd planned to replace the door fairly quickly, anyway; just not that quickly!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

GardenGal

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »
The worst example I can think of was about 45 years ago.  Putting the details in white: I accidentally closed a car door on someone else's hand.  Fortunately, her bones were fine and the skin wasn't even broken, but it clearly hurt like crazy and I felt just awful.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 08:36:37 PM »
I, um, broke a friend's toilet seat.   :-[  I did offer to pay to replace it and then said they had one in the closet as they felt it was going to go sooner than later.  Did not help my self esteem about my weight though.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 07:45:34 AM »
This story is about my cousin and his wife, when they first met and began d@ting. We'll call them Bob and Mary. They both lived in the DC area but one in VA and the other in MD. Which, as anyone from that area knows, even if its only a small number of miles, distance wise, can take a couple of hours to get from one area to the other.

So Bob really wanted to go out, on a Friday, but mary hesitated, because her job makes her very hot and sweaty, and she'd want to go home, shower etc. And I guess Bob lived closer to where Mary worked, so he suggested she just come by his place, shower there, and then they could go out. I think this was maybe their second or third date. Mary is also the type to not jump too fast into anything with anyone, so I think at that point, maybe they had held hands, and he maybe had kissed her goodnight. But that's it.

So mary comes over, and gets ready to shower. Bob's bathroom was old, with the ancient glass doors, the kind from the 70's, heavy, double track, generally an all around PITA. I know beacuse I used to have them.

So Mary goes to shut the shower doors,and somehow, they come off track, and fall back into the shower, essentially pinning her. She can't move them, or anyhting, so finally, she calls Bob in. Again, she's naked in the shower, on what is essentially their second or third date. He apparently came in, managed to get the door uprighted, and left to let her finish showering.

Mary said she was so embarassed she stayed in the bathroom forever, and Bob thought something had happened :) In the end, they ordered take out and watched a movie. And now they're married. Mary was so upset though about breaking the door, but BOb told her not to worry as they did that all the etime!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
I scraped my MIL's car.  DH had to use ours to do something (can't remember what) and I had to drop the kids off at school that day.  They live with us and we swap cars all of the time. 

The drive to the parking lot has an entrance lane and an exit lane, separated by one of those yellow metal posts for gating it at night.  The gates were on the outside of the lanes.

I was coming out of the exit lane when a bus driver decided he was going to enter through the exit lane. I had a choice, I could either take the bus head on or swerve and pray.  I chose the latter but wound up scraping the yellow gate and breaking the passenger mirror.  I was so rattled about nearly becoming a bus hood ornament that I didn't collect my wits in time to get the number of the bus so I could report the driver.   >:(

Fortunately for me, the car is 24 years old and the yellow paint marks were the least of it's body problems!  ;D DH fixed the mirror easily and all was well.

GreenHall

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
In my defense it was either my second or third time driving depending on how you count it...

I took out a neighbor's mailbox and my dad's (electronic controlled) side mirror.

Apparently my dad was WAY more excited about me having my learner's permit than I was.  I still blame him.  Also the neighbors commented that it wasn't the first time their box had been hit, and they were thinking of moving it further away from the road....

My dad doesn't make comments about the mailbox so much anymore after he hit one too...

z_squared82

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
My brother and I were at the same New Yearís Eve party at our friendsí house (really, their parentsí house since we were all in college at the time). Everyone was drunk and Brother thought it would be a genius idea to stand on the table outside.

On the *glass* table.

He completely shattered it.

Even in his drunken state, Brother was crazy apologetic and offered to buy our friendsí parentsí a new table. They assured him,  no, it was fine, he didnít have to, everything was fine, donít worry about it. Brother felt bad about it for years.

Until, at some point, my friend told me that her mom had told her that she had grown to hate that particular glass patio table and was glad Brother had broken it and given her an excuse to buy one she actually liked.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »
Sounds like my mother, who couldn't wait for me to move out to my own apartment so she could give me her old living room furniture and buy new stuff for herself.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
I accidentally broke my friend's arm.

She slowed down suddenly in front of me while we were bike riding. I couldn't stop in time and I caught her back wheel with my front one. It sent both of us flying.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

chi2kcldy

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
I burnt my cousin's hair. She asked me to press her hair straight. This was in the early 80's so the common tool in my community was the stove pressing comb.

I pressed my hair all the time so I was very familiar with what to do; Or so I thought. I did a few sections, no problem. I grab the last section of hair and it promptly burnt off. It sounded like bacon hitting a hot skillet. I was frozen solid. My cousin, thankfully, was not harmed. She lost about 4 inches of hair but it was in a section closer to the middle of her head. We were able to blend it.

My aunt didn't speak to me for weeks.

Moonie

I broke my mom's car. I had borrowed her car while mine was being repaired. On my way home from work one night, a man ran across the street in front of my car. He made it across, no problem. But this big dog decided he was going to follow him, and ran out right in front of me. I hit the dog. Man, it was crazy. The dog landed on his side and spun three or four times.

I am an animal lover, so I get out of the car crying and screaming, "I'm sorry!!!" to this poor dog laying in the street. A man in a truck stops and asks the man who crossed the street if it was his dog. He says it wasn't. The man in the truck told me not to worry, he would pick up the dog's body and take it away. We look in the street and the dog is gone! I turn around and there the poor pooch is.....standing on wobbly legs and bleeding a little from his mouth. The man who crossed the street then decides it IS his dog and takes it away.

Upon looking at Mom's car, I find that the fiberglass bumper has a crack about a foot long from the edge on in, so the bumper is loose and bouncy. Also, the turn signal assembly broke where it screws into the body of the car, so it's kind of hanging there.

I got home and called my brother. We went to the auto parts store and bought this glue stuff, and to this day I wish I remembered what it was. We literally glued the bumper back together and glued the light assembly back in place. We figured if it came loose, Mom would just blame Dad for it  :-X.

About ten years later, my father passed away and Mom decided to junk that car. The glue was still holding.  That was when my brother and I came clean about the car.

Oh, by the way, many years later I saw that same darn dog running across the street at the same location. Guess he made it :D.