Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 185012 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1065 on: September 24, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
Speaking of costumes. But it should fit!

This is from Customers Suck, which can get rather wild & wooly. I don't see language issues in the OP, but won't vouch for subsequent posts.

Woman commissions elaborate, embroidered, beaded Victorian ball gown from tailor. Has massive plastic surgery between being measured & coming in to pick up the dress. No way she can now fit into the dress. She claims that the tailor didn't measure her correctly and her body is "just a little different now." (OP comments: A little different is like saying Cheerios are different from Fruit Loops. This was like comparing Cheerios to a bowl of chili.) Demands that he "just fix the dress." Threatens lawsuit.

I can't believe he agreed to do another dress for her. I would want to terminate this professional relationship asap

I've heard the same story about at least one wedding gown on a sewing business mailing list.

I believe it - people just don't realize how an inch here and an inch there adds up when it comes to the overall fit...
They don't sew themselves and have never seen a sewing pattern.  They don't know that  the difference in size between a size 6 pattern piece and a size 8 pattern piece may be only 1/4 inch, or less. 

In this case, the bride's parents were plastic surgeons and gave her a tummy tuck, a backside lift, and a larger bosom as a wedding present.  So, the bust, waist, and hips were all *wrong* at what was supposed to be the final fitting a week before the wedding.  And they didn't see why there should be extra charges to make all the "minor" changes to the very fitted satin dress that could not be let out (needle marks show on satin). 

The dressmaker mentioned adding a couple of paragraphs to her contract covering charges for plastic surgery and weight fluctuations after a certain point...spelling out charges that were high enough to give her "run of the mill" bride with an average budget second & third thoughts about changing her body and even someone with a plastic surgeon in the family to think twice - because the dress was no longer guaranteed to be ready "on time" and it was not the fault of the designer/dressmaker if there had been plastic surgery of any kind.  She was not going to be threatened with small claims court over someone wanting to look more like the pictures in the magazines!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Chipmunky

« Reply #1066 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
I made it through the thread! YAY!!

I can paint decently, and it's relaxing for me. My SMIL likes homemade type gifts, and one year for Christmas, I painted a little portrait of her yorkie, Scooby. I worked on this thing for weeks, surrepticiously taking photos of the dog to get the coloration just right. She absolutely loved the painting, and displayed it at her desk (she's in animal control). I later did another one of their second rescue, a silky terrier/yorki mix named Isabella. Again, displayed at the desk.

But, SMIL had to bring them home. Why?

Because co-worker was furious that SMIL would not voluntell me to do similar paintings of co-worker's three large breed dogs, all together, in one image. Co-worker told SMIL that I "should be grateful" that someone is giving me something to do, since "artists starve anyways."  :o I wish I could have been there when SMIL politely informed co-worker that I'm a practicing attorney, that painting is a hobby of mine, and these paintings were an unasked for gift.  Co-worker apparently tried to grab for the paintings, but SMIL was having none of that....

More stories to come, from my highly talented mom!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1067 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:01 AM »
Wow, that is one SS co-worker!

alkira6

« Reply #1068 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
Oh, I do have a good one.  A coworker admired some beadwork that I added to a tunic that I purchased and we got into a good discussion about handwork and sewing.  I have already given her one lesson on beadwork during our lunch and she is already hooked!   ;D  She went out and bought some of the cutest little bead boxes and thread holders.

Chipmunky

« Reply #1069 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
My mom is a quilter, and made all my halloween costumes in my childhood. She's very good at what she does, but I unfortunately did not have the patience for quilting/sewing as a kid. Her favorite story is how I got frustrated at age 7 and declared I didn't have to learn how to quilt, because when she passed away, all the quilts would be mine! (for reference in some of these stories, I have two older half siblings from my dad's first marriage- I am my mother's only child).

I have since made up for that 7 yr old comment by helping pin quilts for basting (easier for the kid to get up on the table), and I have a talent and eye for finding good coordinating fabrics- she used to drag me to quilt stores with her for the sole purpose of assisting her friends...they'd have a swatch they wanted to find a compliment for, I'd take a look and come back with 5 bolts of very nice coordinating fabrics.

My mother makes "How Many Days Till Christmas?" wall hangings. They are essentially quilted advent calendars with a tree design in the middle and pockets all around to hold 25 miniature ornaments. Starting December 1st, the child hangs an ornament per day..you get the idea for the count down.  When we first moved to the area I grew up in, my mom was offered $15 to make one...said person was very miffed to learn it'd be at least $50 between the materials and my mom's time.

Two years later, Mom's making a bunch of the wallhangings for the children of some family friends. She's working on one while waiting in the dentists office one day, when out comes the dentist, spies what she's doing, compliments her, and says he'd pay her to make 3....she snarked that it would be $75 bucks a piece, and gosh darn if the dentist didn't whip out his checkbook and write her a check on the spot....she made them, but grumbled that she should have negotiated for some free routine care for me, or a root canal or 3 for her and Dad.....

She's made multiple quilts for both of my Dad's granddaughters (my sister's girls). Never a thank you note from the parents, but she does get photos of the girls wrapped up in their quilts and grinning.  She also made halloween costumes for them until recently- she's very tired of their parents' poor treatment of her (sis seems to think being nice to my mom would be a betrayal of her mom).  She had stopped volunteering two years ago to make costumes, and Sis was frantic to figure something out for the younger girl 2 weeks before Halloween.  The following year, younger girl comes up to my mom and pleads, "Grandma, will you please make my costume this year? Mommy doesn't do it well at all."  We havent heard anything this year, so I guess the girls are stuck with store bought.

Good stories are here too though!

A year after DH and I had started dating, mom learned how much he liked my flannel rag quilt to curl under watching football(to the point I routinely had to find another quilt). She and I conspired to make him his own quilt, in manly colors, and measured it perfectly to cover him from neck to the tips of his toes.  She loved to hear about the huge grin he had when he got it for his September birthday, and how he kept saying "my quilt. mine. chipmunky, this one is mine. you can't have it. I love it. my quilt." She's since made him two wall hangings and a huge flannel bed quilt that he's thrilled with (last year's Christmas gift).

The closest thing to an exchange of services they have (aside from love and affection)- DH is a techie, and my Dad routinely breaks his computer by opening spam messages containing viruses. DH regularly updates and cleans the computer, and helps with tv/netflix issues.  Prevents a lot of headaches for mom.

Crochet Addict

« Reply #1070 on: Yesterday at 09:16:50 AM »
A friend posted a picture of a crocheted Death Star pillow on my Facebook and told me to make it for him. No offer to cover materials/time/barter/anything in trade. I politely explained that I'm pretty busy preparing for my baby's arrival in December. He posted 2 more comments practically begging me to squeeze it in. I don't think so! In general, I don't crochet things on demand, I've had several bad experiences of people asking me to make them something, an agreement being made on pricing, and then me getting stiffed or guilt tripped that I actually had the nerve to you know, expect them to pay what they said they would. I make an exception for other crafters who want to barter, though. I made a huge, gorgeous doily for my friend as a birthday present for her granny. She beads, so she made me a beautiful necklace, matching earrings, and a watch.  :)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #1071 on: Yesterday at 09:23:54 AM »
A friend posted a picture of a crocheted Death Star pillow on my Facebook and told me to make it for him. No offer to cover materials/time/barter/anything in trade. I politely explained that I'm pretty busy preparing for my baby's arrival in December. He posted 2 more comments practically begging me to squeeze it in. I don't think so! In general, I don't crochet things on demand, I've had several bad experiences of people asking me to make them something, an agreement being made on pricing, and then me getting stiffed or guilt tripped that I actually had the nerve to you know, expect them to pay what they said they would. I make an exception for other crafters who want to barter, though. I made a huge, gorgeous doily for my friend as a birthday present for her granny. She beads, so she made me a beautiful necklace, matching earrings, and a watch.  :)

I saw that pattern too, and saved it to my computer at home!  That picture must have been posted all over.  I know how to crochet, and someday, hopefully before my hands are totally useless from arthritis, I'll make it for me.  Of course, I have to finish the stuffed Tardis first. 

z_squared82

« Reply #1072 on: Yesterday at 09:29:58 AM »

Bartering is the best. I'm in negotiations to trade a Nutella chex mix (when I find a recipe I like) for tomato wine. I love that my cousins have tended to marry men with useful skills (agriculture, fishing, one has a still, there's some woodworking around...).