News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 25, 2016, 09:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 2469073 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #9975 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
One more addition to the Oakland scandal.

Don't have your girlfriend write your homicide investigation reports for you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:54:11 AM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Aunt4God

« Reply #9976 on: June 18, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
Don't murder your wife and have your co-workers help you cover it up.
Don't exchange vile racial epithets via text with your co-workers.
Don't trade tips about prostitution stings for sex.
Especially if the young woman you're trading them with is underage and was involved in a child sex trafficking case in the first place.

The Oakland police department has fired their third chief in nine days and the mayor has basically declared heck with it, y'all are going to report to my office now. https://twitter.com/aurabogado/status/744016698731290624 has a (somewhat speculative but easy-to-understand) rundown of what's happened so far. Two officers have resigned, three more are on paid leave pending an investigation, and another 19 are being investigated. Separate investigation ongoing in the racism thing.

(All news still subject to change, as with any major scandal, of course.)

They've all resigned, not been fired.  The 3rd one just couldn't handle trying to fix everything.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #9977 on: June 18, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Oakland, California.  They've had problems in the past.  My firearms instructor years ago was a former Oakland police officer, and some of the things he told us were mind-boggling.  This would have been the late 1960s through the early 1980s.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9978 on: June 18, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »
Don't call the area you serve a national embarrassment, especially right after it has the biggest shooting massacre in the US.

Prosecutor and Assistant State Attorney. I whited out the text because it's pretty offensive.

http://knightnews.com/2016/06/prosecutor-ken-lewis-suspended-over-offensive-orlando-facebook-posts/

Downtown Orlando has no bottom. The entire city should be leveled. It is void of a single redeeming quality. It is a melting pot of 3rd world miscreants and ghetto thugs. It is void of culture. If you live down there you do it at your own risk and at your own peril. If you go down there after dark there is seriously something wrong with you. Disney does everything in its power to shield visitors of Disney from its northern blight. That doesnít change reality. Disney may be the happiest place on earth but Orlando is a national embarrassment. If this is an act of domestic terrorist it is so important that we donít publish the religion, name, or motive of the terrorist as not to offend anyone. -
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #9979 on: June 18, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »
Holy Moly!  Some people really disengage the brain prior to speaking....   :'(
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

parrot_girl

« Reply #9980 on: June 19, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
I really really hope this turns out to be PD, but it probably won't be.
B/G: A couple of years ago, a prominent Australian Football League person was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease, that horrible thing, and has been raising awareness and funds for all he is worth (because he is an awesome bloke). A major part of this has been celebrities sliding into an ice water bath before a particular football match (the Queen's Birthday match, in fact) and it's been very successful. So far, no PD.

However.

Eddie McGuire, president of an AFL club, media personality, extremely high profile man, and his colleagues on a national radio show, spent several minutes talking about how they would all raise heaps of money if only a particular female journalist went into the ice bath and drowned. Oh, and they'd all like to jump in and hold her under.

The media storm over this is huge; he's "apologised" and said "it was joking banter in the spirit of the day"; his apology has NOT been accepted by the female journalist in question. And just to make matters worse, it was the same weekend as the White Ribbon match, which was to raise awareness of violence against women, and was supposed to show that the AFL is adamantly against said violence...
If anyone wants to be upset, here's a link containing most of the transcript of what was said:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-cant-let-the-misogynist-banter-of-eddie-mcguire-slip-past-20160619-gpmmyk.html

Coralline

« Reply #9981 on: June 19, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »
B/G: A couple of years ago, a prominent Australian Football League person was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease, that horrible thing, and has been raising awareness and funds for all he is worth (because he is an awesome bloke). A major part of this has been celebrities sliding into an ice water bath before a particular football match (the Queen's Birthday match, in fact) and it's been very successful. So far, no PD.

However.

Eddie McGuire, president of an AFL club, media personality, extremely high profile man, and his colleagues on a national radio show, spent several minutes talking about how they would all raise heaps of money if only a particular female journalist went into the ice bath and drowned. Oh, and they'd all like to jump in and hold her under.

The media storm over this is huge; he's "apologised" and said "it was joking banter in the spirit of the day"; his apology has NOT been accepted by the female journalist in question. And just to make matters worse, it was the same weekend as the White Ribbon match, which was to raise awareness of violence against women, and was supposed to show that the AFL is adamantly against said violence...
If anyone wants to be upset, here's a link containing most of the transcript of what was said:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-cant-let-the-misogynist-banter-of-eddie-mcguire-slip-past-20160619-gpmmyk.html

I would love it to be PD, but he's been doing it for years. Here's the journalist's response, it's very good. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/caroline-wilson-eddie-mcguires-ice-pool-attack-took-me-back-to-the-bad-old-days-20160620-gpn1kv.html

JadeAngel

« Reply #9982 on: June 19, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »

However.

And interestingly enough (and also good on Caroline Wilson for not accepting that half baked 'if someone was offended' excuse for an apology) the whole sorry incident apparently came about because Wilson wrote an article about the succession of the Collingwood Presidency (the position McGuire currently holds) which apparently ruffled his feathers and this was his response.

I don't agree with many of the things that Wilson writes, she took particular pleasure in the woes of the club I support over the last few years and lost no opportunity to stick the knife in, and even I think this was well beyond the scope of acceptable behaviour (from everyone involved - it wasn't just Eddie McGuire although he did start it). There have been a few apologists saying that it 'wasn't about gender' but a number of male journalists have written articles of recent times calling for McGuire to step down as president and I haven't heard him suggest drowning any of them in an ice bath...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9983 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »
Eddie Maguire simply is who he is, I'm no longer surprised at what comes out of his mouth.