News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 14, 2016, 12:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strangest pick up lines you've heard?  (Read 6434 times)

Tini

Re: Strangest pick up lines you've heard?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
Slight tangent:

On a website with a lot of user-generated content for language learning, I was working my way through a list of vocab and phrases for Turkish. The young man who'd made the list came up with gems like "do you like the music" "do you come here often" "do you have a boyfriend" and "did you come here alone". My husband dryly suggested that I send in a few phrases for him to add for female students like "you seem to be getting your dating tips from the internet" and "originality does not seem to be your strong point".  :P

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »
"Didn't we meet at Parents Without Partners?" This was a guy attending an event where I was representing my employer. Later in the day I got to chatting with other women who were there and got a chorus of "You, too?!" He had been making the rounds.

On the tangent: I just got out my Latin America Spanish phrasebook. It actually has a section called "pick up lines." Most are pretty innocuous. "Can I buy you a drink?" or cliché "What's your sign?" "Shall we go out for some fresh air?" Then there's "You have (a) beautiful body/hands/eyes/personality."

There is also a section on how to reject, which ranges from "no, thank you" to "Leave me alone!" to a vulgar way to say "get lost." Not to mention the ever useful "Not if you were the last person on earth!"

And section on phrases to use while playing scrabble, ranging from "Do you have protection?" to "That was amazing!" to "It helps to have a sense of humor." Some are pretty explicit.

[When I was teaching myself Turkish I found a book written for NATO staff in the 1950s. I was able to learn helpful phrases like "Halt, who goes there?" and "Put down your weapon." I amused myself practicing sentences like "The blue bazooka is next to the yellow bomb on the green aircraft carrier."]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
[When I was teaching myself Turkish I found a book written for NATO staff in the 1950s. I was able to learn helpful phrases like "Halt, who goes there?" and "Put down your weapon." I amused myself practicing sentences like "The blue bazooka is next to the yellow bomb on the green aircraft carrier."]

And now I'm reminded of the old Thomas Cook phrase books which included various useful phrases including "Excuse me, my postilion's been struck by lightning" - which has always made me wonder what the frequency of such an occurrence actually was that Thomas Cook thought it ranked as a useful phrase...

Back on topic, I sadly have nothing I can contribute for two reasons:
1) I have a resting face that doesn't promote random people accosting me
2) I strongly suspect that the few times people have tried their game on me I've been oblivious/impervious to it

Stirling

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Here is one from the Benny Hill Show, "If I told you you have a beautiful body would you hold it against me?"

I tell my wife all the time, "You have a nice figure, and I'm an accountant so I know all about figures."

rose red

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2016, 06:12:51 PM »
Here is one from the Benny Hill Show, "If I told you you have a beautiful body would you hold it against me?"

Oh goodness. I've heard that cheesy line for many years but I just now got the double entendre seeing it written out. :-[ :P

LEMon

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 08:25:41 PM »

Oh goodness. I've heard that cheesy line for many years but I just now got the double entendre seeing it written out. :-[ :P
"If I swore you were an angel, would you treat me like the devil tonight." Fun song.

Bijou

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 03:13:01 AM »
I was dancing with a guy when he said, "I think you're even Sexier than Sandy..."  (Sandy was my best friend and was easily always the most beautiful creature in the room. I still can't decide whether or not I was flattered.)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »

"If I swore you were an angel, would you treat me like the devil tonight." Fun song.

I always thought the second line was kind of off.  Basically it's asking her to treat him like a mortal enemy.

Browyn

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »

Tacky line/joke told to me by a friend (so not actually used as a pick up line) "that dress is very becoming on you, of course if I were on you I would becoming too".

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
Ha! That got used in a Fall Out Boy song.

"Anything you say can and will be held against you, so only say my name."
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

miss_ann_thrope

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 10:44:23 PM »
Ha! That got used in a Fall Out Boy song.

"Anything you say can and will be held against you, so only say my name."

And Britney Spears: If I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?

Apologies for the earworm.  :-\
"I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." - Charles M. Schulz

Thipu1

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »
On a warm summer day was walking home from the office. I was wearing a modest, red Polo dress and flat, black shoes that were perfectly acceptable in my work place.

I was accosted by a gangly youth who breathlessly asked me, 'Is it true what they say about women who wear red?'.

Yep, it's true.  We all work for Santa Claus.'

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Back when I was young, before my hair turned gray, I had naturally dark auburn hair.   This happened one morning when I was working alone in a convenience store:

Customer:  I like redheads.
Me:  That's nice.
Customer:  Want to play around?
Me:  No way, because I can see you're wearing a wedding ring.
Customer:  So?
Me:  That still means no.  (And so on.)

The best part was about two years later, when I was working at the nearby military commissary.  This same customer came through my line, along with his wife.  Judging from the shade of red he turned, he recognized me and he was hoping I wouldn't say anything in front of his wife about our earlier conversation.  I've got more class than that, but I have to admit to a (perhaps not admirable) thrill out of seeing him so nervous. 

gmatoy

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:44 AM »
Back when I was young, before my hair turned gray, I had naturally dark auburn hair.   This happened one morning when I was working alone in a convenience store:

Customer:  I like redheads.
Me:  That's nice.
Customer:  Want to play around?
Me:  No way, because I can see you're wearing a wedding ring.
Customer:  So?
Me:  That still means no.  (And so on.)

The best part was about two years later, when I was working at the nearby military commissary.  This same customer came through my line, along with his wife.  Judging from the shade of red he turned, he recognized me and he was hoping I wouldn't say anything in front of his wife about our earlier conversation.  I've got more class than that, but I have to admit to a (perhaps not admirable) thrill out of seeing him so nervous.

Evil Gmatoy would have wanted to say, "Don't I know you from somewhere? What church do you attend? Where do your children go to school?" I do not let evil me out!