Author Topic: Best Gift Ideas under $20 US  (Read 3446 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: Best Gift Ideas under $20 US
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »
My kids and DH love those headlamps. The kids got the hat ones (with the leds in the brim) a few years ago and they were pretty good too, except for the night DS couldn't sleep so he tiptoed down to the rec room with it to play lego in the dark. :rolleyes: he was 5.

dawbs

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
Ikea sells cheap crank LED flashlights.  There are probably better ones on the market, but I LOVE having one to give my child during power outages because she can't run down batteries--because there are no batteries to wear down (crank it for 1 min, get about 2-3 min of light)
Only about $5:  http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/13087

I'm getting a few gazillion more when I go back, because they're useful and cheap and everyone needs one :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Had to stop and get a few items this morning and found the perfect gift for my bosses. A large microfleece throw with our school logo on it. $19.99!

magicdomino

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
The credit card folding knife

http://www.amazon.com/Credit-Folding-Safety-Knife-Silver/dp/B00H7SK80K/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1413562487&sr=1-5&keywords=folding+knife

To be honest, this probably isn't the best knife in the world.  It probably wouldn't survive being folded and unfolded too many times. However, my brother liked it, and my teenaged great nephew declared that I was a "cool aunt." 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
I always get my dad those Torani syrups. He loves them and uses them a lot.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »
Calendars are good and usually under $20.  They come in all sorts of subjects so no matter what a person's intrest is, you can usually find a calendar for that interest.  General dog and cat calendars, along with breed calendars, horses, tractors, scenery, churches, cars, motorcycles, etc.  Something for everyone.

Spotted Pony

Along the calendar line, every year for Christmas I make a calendar on Shutterfly for all of my family members.  It has everyone's birthday and anniversary with a photo of the person on his/her date (or a photo of the couple on the anniversary date).  I update the photos each year.  When you buy a decent quantity and also use promo codes, they can be $15 or less per calendar. 

CakeEater

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2014, 03:52:16 AM »
Calendars are good and usually under $20.  They come in all sorts of subjects so no matter what a person's intrest is, you can usually find a calendar for that interest.  General dog and cat calendars, along with breed calendars, horses, tractors, scenery, churches, cars, motorcycles, etc.  Something for everyone.

Spotted Pony

Along the calendar line, every year for Christmas I make a calendar on Shutterfly for all of my family members.  It has everyone's birthday and anniversary with a photo of the person on his/her date (or a photo of the couple on the anniversary date).  I update the photos each year.  When you buy a decent quantity and also use promo codes, they can be $15 or less per calendar.

My Mum has done this for a number of years for her mother, and just prints copies for everyone. I really like it, and the kids get pretty excited when it's our month to be the big photo - we're always August.

I'm finding this thread really helpful.

Sorry I can't contribute - I'm a terrible gift buyer.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
More of a stocking stuffer, but I found mini Tajin chile lime salt bottles in a 10 pack for $4. All the chile heads in my family will get one.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
Swiss Army knives or multitools. You can get them for around $20, on sale, for the simpler models.  Always a hit in our exchange at work.  The other big one at my work was fishing lures.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
If you know someone who is left-handed, a left-handed ruler is usually under $5 and makes a big difference.

I'd always used right-handed rulers and when someone gave me a left-handed one, I honestly thought it was a joke.

But it really does work! No more turning the ruler around upside down to measure things.

I'm right-handed, and I think I want one of those!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
I also pick up little containers of local jams or syrups. Birch syrup makes a great hostess gift.

I first read this as "yams" and not "jams" and thought that was very artisan of you.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
Coffee mug and an assortment of tea, all wrapped up together.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Found a packaged Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookie mix with a cast iron skillet for $10. I think that is perfect for both of my bosses, who will spend Christmas with their grandchildren.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
My husband loves having a few little desk toys to fiddle with when he's on long phone calls or working something out in his head.  I bought him the LEGO "Crazy Action Contraptions" set last year, and he loves it, says it's a great desk toy for fiddling with for engineering types.  He has a friend who has a little magnet set that has tiny balls and rods, and he loves that as well.  There used to be something called "Bucky Balls," I think, which were little magnetic balls that you could make into interesting chains and such, also great for fiddling, but despite the fact that they were marketed for and intended for adults, they were pulled off the market because of the hazard to children swallowing them.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
We have two packages of Bucky Balls. Unfortunately, people leave things like that in reach of their kids and some got hurt.  :'(

Other gift ideas I have:

Found a Mason jar goblet with lid that is painted gaily and has a "Making spirits bright" label. Perfect for my work gift exchange.
Flashlights
Multi-tools