News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 18, 2017, 11:54:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2017506 times)

sandisadie

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6945 on: August 16, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Several years my bank called me and asked me to verify some information.  I declined and asked them to send me a letter which I would then respond to.  Everyone should just decide not to give out any information over the phone unless you are positive that you know who you are giving it to.  A real business or government office will not hesitate to send you a written inquiry if you ask them.  Nowadays no one can be too careful!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #6946 on: August 16, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Several years my bank called me and asked me to verify some information.  I declined and asked them to send me a letter which I would then respond to.  Everyone should just decide not to give out any information over the phone unless you are positive that you know who you are giving it to.  A real business or government office will not hesitate to send you a written inquiry if you ask them.  Nowadays no one can be too careful!

When I got a similar call from a credit card company, I said "can I call you back?" took out the credit card, and called the number printed on the card. I asked for the fraud department, and it turned out they had called me, but they were entirely calm and accepting of my desire to call them rather than answer questions from an unfamiliar number.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6947 on: August 16, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
I had this with AAA last week - we had our membership set to auto-renew, but our card number changed when the company sent out new ones with the chip so the renewal didn't go through. It was a courtesy call to let us know and if we did want to remain AAA members, could we please give them an updated card number and they could ensure service wasn't interrupted?

I told the guy I wasn't comfortable giving that info to someone who called *me* and he totally understood. He was able to read off my address, both DH's and my AAA number, and the last four digits of the previous credit card. I think he was ready to give dates and amounts of previous claims if I'd asked for it :-) (And yes, I did give him the new number and we renewed our membership. I know next to nothing about cars, and AAA is SO worth it.)

Barney girl

« Reply #6948 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

When I got a similar call from a credit card company, I said "can I call you back?" took out the credit card, and called the number printed on the card. I asked for the fraud department, and it turned out they had called me, but they were entirely calm and accepting of my desire to call them rather than answer questions from an unfamiliar number.

Be careful to ring back using a different phone. I once had someone ring me pretending to be from the police, telling me my card had been used fraudulently. He told me to ring the fraud number on the card. Something about his style of speaking and a vague recollection of hearing of this as a scam rang alarm bells. I rang the help line number from my mobile and while I was waiting to be put through he rang me again on my land line to say it had been used again. As soon as I said I was waiting to be put through on another phone he rang off. It's something to do with their not disconnecting the first call, so when you think you're ringing out you're actually going back to the scammers.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6949 on: August 16, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »

Be careful to ring back using a different phone. I once had someone ring me pretending to be from the police, telling me my card had been used fraudulently. He told me to ring the fraud number on the card. Something about his style of speaking and a vague recollection of hearing of this as a scam rang alarm bells. I rang the help line number from my mobile and while I was waiting to be put through he rang me again on my land line to say it had been used again. As soon as I said I was waiting to be put through on another phone he rang off. It's something to do with their not disconnecting the first call, so when you think you're ringing out you're actually going back to the scammers.

I have a landline and it's my understanding that the call will sever automatically about 15 seconds after hanging up but you should wait at least 30 seconds to be on the safe side. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6950 on: Yesterday at 08:35:15 AM »

I did this exact thing.  Called back on the fraud line on the back of the card - same result.  My card had been hacked and someone was trying to have a buying spree. 

Agreed, you cannot be too careful anymore.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6951 on: Yesterday at 10:35:24 AM »
This turned up on another forum that was discussing the your computer  has  a virus scam. It's a Q&A with comeone who actually worked in a scam call center. This was the version where you get a pop up that says your computer is infected, call this number NOW. So he answered incoming calls, rather than making calls himself.

Language warning; I spotted a few F bombs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/3766m1/i_worked_at_a_tech_support_scam_phone_room_ama/

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

« Reply #6952 on: Yesterday at 10:54:00 AM »

I got an eamil from mine; after they were unable to reach me at home as I was at work. I did the same thing, pulled out my card, and called the number on the back. and sure enough, osmeone had tried to use my card repeatedly!