News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 18, 2017, 10:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My $189.00 hair style  (Read 1847 times)

Figgie

Re: My $189.00 hair style
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
I pay $40 for a wash, haircut, blow dry and curling iron I quit coloring/frosting my hair prior to 2001 and I actually love my natural blonde color (there's a bit of gray but I refuse to capitulate to coloring).   

I used to pay $18.00 for a wash, haircut, blow dry and curling iron, but since I reached senior citizen age, it costs me $16.00.  :)  I've been with my hairdresser for many years and have followed her from salon to salon but hopefully, since she now is the owner of the current salon, I won't have to follow her someplace else. 

I don't need to color my hair, as it has always been a white blonde color.  It is getting a bit whiter as I age, but still looks mostly blonde.  I know that eventually it will be pure white, same as my Grandmother's hair.  If I were to color it, she charges $75.00 for complete color with foil and it includes shampoo, haircut, blow dry and using the curling iron.  She is very reasonable and I need to make my appointments with her as soon as I finish my current appointment.  :)

LadyL

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
This discussion is interesting because of the regional variation among other things!

I am a pretty thrifty person, yet I go to a $90 a cut master hairstylist. The reason being that since I wear my hair longer I can stretch cuts out for about 3 months, and most importantly my stylist really, really listens to my needs and cuts based on that. She's as much a "hair therapist" as a stylist!

I also do my own color at home which costs me a whopping $7 every 6 weeks so that offsets the haircut cost.  I have used the same mix of professional grade color (LoReal HiLight) for over 10 years and never had a bad result; if it doesn't come out like I'd hoped I will play with demi permanent color to correct it. It mostly costs me time and a few days where my color might be kinda funky but thankfully my job doesn't care if my hair is purple-ish for a week ;).

That said I do think for color that involves highlights, ombre, color correction, going from dark to blonde,  covering mostly grey hair, etc. it is best to have a stylist do it. The reason being that even if you save $$$ doing it yourself, you might end up paying $$$$$$ for corrective color.

Vall

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
I'm in Ohio and prices around here aren't too much for a wash/cut/style.  My stylist is fantastic.  She is self-employed and has 20+ years experience.  She really knows how to listen and does a great job.  She only charges $20 for a complicated cut (includes wash, style and curling iron).  She is worth at least 3x what she charges. I would pay much more so I tip very well.  I usually get a cut every 6 to 7 weeks but I've been growing out my hair lately.

I've paid more for stylists here but have never had anyone as good as the one that I have now.  I don't color my hair and the prices I've seen have scared me away even more.  I just don't dislike my natural hair color enough to pay more than a dollar a day to make it different.  I have a little gray but they're my "sparklies" as my stylist calls them.  The streaks look kinda cool.

demarco

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
I pay 60.00 pretip for color, cut, blow dry and ironing here in the eastern half of the Midwest. I started with my stylist when he was at Supercuts and followed him when he set up his own shop. His coloring work is the best I've ever had.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
Since you got color, I'm not surprised at the price.  At a local salon in my area, color STARTS at $125.  Add a cut and various other items and the bill can easily top $200.  But yes, always ask!  I usually either ask or check out the salon's website (if they have one) ahead of time so I know what to expect pricewise.

EMuir

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »
I have a very simple haircut that I just need trimmed every few months. I was frustrated to pay $50. So I asked how much they charged to cut a man's hair. $20. I asked for a man's haircut. No styling included, but I didn't care.

After that I asked my partner to cut my hair. I felt silly having to ask for a man's haircut.