News:

• April 26, 2018, 03:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 870326 times)

Shalamar

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2535 on: April 17, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »
Droning Guy reminds me of an old co-worker.   Our team would have weekly "what's everyone working on" meetings, and they were always held from 10:30 to 11:30-ish.  When Old Co-worker started talking, there was no shutting him up - and he always droned on about stuff that was meaningful or interesting only to him.   11:30 would come and go, then 12:00, then 12:15 ... meanwhile, all of us would be looking pointedly at our watches, crossing our legs because we needed to go to the bathroom, or trying to muffle the sounds of our growling stomachs.

GardenGal

« Reply #2536 on: April 17, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
I don't understand why the professor didn't just say at the 30-minute mark,"No, you cannot add anything else. Your time is up.  We have 10 minutes for questions and then the next student goes. Class, who has the first question?"  It seems like the professor didn't take control of the situation in his classroom, which is pretty unprofessional.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

HoneyBee42

« Reply #2537 on: April 17, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
I don't understand why the professor didn't just say at the 30-minute mark,"No, you cannot add anything else. Your time is up.  We have 10 minutes for questions and then the next student goes. Class, who has the first question?"  It seems like the professor didn't take control of the situation in his classroom, which is pretty unprofessional.
Agree.  I think the professor should have, at 30 minute mark, told 1st person "No, your time is up.  Continue speaking and lose 5 points from your earned score for every word out of your mouth." 

Student "I just have one more thing, in conclusion--"

"That's 40 points you just lost.  Want to go for 45?  Or would you rather sit down now?"

Dr. F.

« Reply #2538 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
I'd love to know what his grade was on that.

Also, the Professor should have done more to cut him off. It's possible, even if it requires talking over the student.

I have once had to unplug the projector, at a conference, not a class, but the same concept.

lilfox

« Reply #2539 on: April 18, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »

Not only that, but if the prof really did make the next two students condense their talks into the little bit of space remaining rather than slide the schedule, that's really unfair to those students.  I know when I give a talk, I practice it to take the time I'm allotted with reasonable allowances for adding a few minutes or cutting a few.  Forcing other students to put 30 minutes of talk into a handful of minutes because someone else couldn't be bothered to figure out their own timing is not right.

GardenGal

« Reply #2540 on: April 18, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Not only that, but if the prof really did make the next two students condense their talks into the little bit of space remaining rather than slide the schedule, that's really unfair to those students.

So true!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #2541 on: April 18, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »

Not only that, but if the prof really did make the next two students condense their talks into the little bit of space remaining rather than slide the schedule, that's really unfair to those students.  I know when I give a talk, I practice it to take the time I'm allotted with reasonable allowances for adding a few minutes or cutting a few.  Forcing other students to put 30 minutes of talk into a handful of minutes because someone else couldn't be bothered to figure out their own timing is not right.

I agree. The other students were unfairly penalized because the teacher didn't take control of the situation.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls