Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 274081 times)

Minmom3

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1605 on: November 21, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
I had a neighbor like that.  He was told "jail or military, son, you choose!"  So, he joined the Marines in time for Korea.... He wasn't a hard core criminal, but he was young and rowdy, extremely undisciplined, and bored off his rocker at home.  Religion aside, the old expression "The Devil find works for idle hands" could have been meant for him...  Bored = trouble.

Post time in service, he was still something of a rebel, but he now knew how to fly under the radar and live a productive life.  He was a great neighbor!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1606 on: Yesterday at 12:25:55 AM »
Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't discourage military service in a rowdy or defiant teenage boy.  The military has a way of taking such young men and making *men* out of them, who know how to follow the rules when it matters, and who can blow off their need for adventure, risk, or high spirits by doing hard, productive, exciting work.  That's not to say every man who goes into the military suddenly turns into a model citizen, or we wouldn't need JAG.  But I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad idea, either.  Probably depends somewhat on the man and the exact situation.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1607 on: Yesterday at 08:33:08 AM »
Oh I'm sure it works for some but the ones I met didn't show any signs of remorse for what they were caught doing that led to that ultimatum, and one even went AWOL and ended up in the brig when he was found because he had zero interest in reform.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #1608 on: Yesterday at 04:09:44 PM »
Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't discourage military service in a rowdy or defiant teenage boy.  The military has a way of taking such young men and making *men* out of them, who know how to follow the rules when it matters, and who can blow off their need for adventure, risk, or high spirits by doing hard, productive, exciting work.  That's not to say every man who goes into the military suddenly turns into a model citizen, or we wouldn't need JAG.  But I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad idea, either.  Probably depends somewhat on the man and the exact situation.
Not to mention, it provides them with ample male role models, it gives them a structured life , and it provides them with something bigger than themselves to belong to. If a boy comes from a really dysfunctional family, he may need all three.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1609 on: Yesterday at 06:33:57 PM »
My brother is an example.  He left college his senior year (at Dartmouth  ::)) and somehow meandered through Europe, working whenever he needed money.  He lived in London for over a year, and that's when my parents (with my youngest brother and me in tow) went to see him.  He came back after living there about two years, joined the Marines and was wounded in Vietnam.  He went on to earn his doctorate, raise a family, and was successful for many years.  He passed away from too much drinking coupled with strokes, but he always admitted the Marines made a man out of him.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:36:09 PM by guihong »