Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 214642 times)

onikenbai

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1320 on: July 27, 2014, 06:10:22 AM »
There usually aren't floor drains under emergency showers because of the regulations on dumping hazardous waste down a sewer.  It really adds insult to injury to have a $$$,000 EPA fine on top of everything else.
But logically, what is supposed to happen to the water? If it doesn't go down a drain, then someone mops it up, and what do they do with the mop water? Even if they were to take it outside and pour it on the lawn, it's still going to enter the environment.

I don't think the janitor or cleaning crew would be tasked with cleaning up a (diluted) chemical spill like it was the overflow from a dripping sink. There would (or should be) a protocol in place that covers full and safe cleanup. At a guess, I would say that they have specific equipment (wet vac, or dedicated mop or what-have-you) to clean up and to contain the water. Then they have a smallish quantity of liquid that can be decontaminated or otherwise treated /disposed of safely.

Easiest way to deal with it is with a hydrovac.  It's a tank truck that you can attach 100+ feet of hose to and turn it into a giant rolling shop vac.  That way nobody has to touch the water and there is only one transfer from truck to treatment site, so it's probably the safest way to get rid of that much water.

If your wash station does have a drain in it, I can pretty much guarantee you that the drain does not go to the sewer.  If the building is modern enough to have built-in safety equipment, it's modern enough to have a spill containment tank lurking somewhere.  The only small catch is that, to my knowledge, there is no piping material out there that can stand up to every chemical and to time.  I've come across a few chemical storage tanks where the spilled chemical ate the pipes on the way down.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1321 on: Yesterday at 08:27:52 PM »
My friend who didn't do so well his first semester at university was at the store where I did my shopping today and we talked a bit. I asked him how his internship was going, and then if he was going to take classes in the fall semester.

He told me yes, and he was taking a larger than full load. I mentioned to him that we found out last week the financial aid rules are now looking at class attendance and online participation, in order to make decisions about the aid awarded for future semesters. I told him that I was surprised when I found out.

His response, "that's not fair". He completely bombed two classes because he didn't do the work, so I am concerned for his future. I hope I'm wrong.