News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 02:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 259422 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #1050 on: October 16, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
One of the reasons that they don't think it was a suicide is because the length of time from when the plane turned off all communication and went off course. and when it finally disappeared from the satellite ping and presumably crashed into the Indian Ocean - about 7 hours.  Now if it were a straightforward suicide, then the rest of the crew and the passengers had a lot of time to do something.  They are not just going to sit there and let someone kill them.  There was even speculation that the pilot flew the plane high enough that everyone passed out and died from lack of oxygen while the plane flew on autopilot until it ran out of fuel.  But the satellite ping also showed the altitude of the plane, and it wasn't high enough to disable everyone.

Also, debris that washed up did not wash up in any one place, but all over the southern Indian Ocean.  Even the satellite pings only narrow it down to an area that is literally hundreds of square miles.  With a deep ocean and an ocean bottom more like the Rocky Mountains it is like having to search a foot at a time, especially when you consider that all electronic equipment was turned off. 
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #1051 on: October 16, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »
Another reason the search for Malaysia Airlines flight 370 was so expensive, and has been inconclusive, is that there were no useful maps for large parts of the seafloor that they were searching. So the search wasn't just looking for a relatively small object on the ocean floor by sonar, but finding mountain ranges and canyons in the process.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.