News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 01, 2015, 06:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hoarders I Have Known  (Read 32762 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Hoarders I Have Known
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »
In the US, at least, you can often find community shredding events, where you can take stuff for free. A local bank sponsors a large one twice a year. and will take up to 5 boxes per car. They will also take CDs, DVDs, and floppies. (Glad I checked. The next one is April 18 and I have stuff for them.) I once saw a smaller one sponsored by a local tax service. Sometimes cities or other municipal agencies will sponsor one.

Mr. Nutrax was not a hoarder, but he left 30 years of income tax records. I also found a bunch of his mother's tax records stored in the attic. When I took all this to the shred event, I noticed that the crew was immediately dumping people's boxes into bins and piling up the boxes for recycling. Since I needed boxes for a number of things related to things after Mr. N's death, I asked if I could have empty boxes. They were a bit startled, but filled up my trunk with a dozen or so flattened boxes.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Yarnspinner

« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
Taking a break from reading in order to share:

These stories just break my heart.  I have not one but three close friends who are all one pile of crap from being hoarders, I am two boxes away myself and I have a coworker whose hoard simply swallows up all the space around her.

When my mother passes away, my brother, his ex-wife, my Dad and I spent two weeks cleaning our family home and getting it ready for sale. 

We were horrified by the amount of stuff that came out of the attic.  My mother never met a knick-knack she didn't like, nor a piece of paper that might come in handy some day.  As we sorted thru, my SIL and I set up separate areas in an empty room.  Each area was to hold the things that one of us might want to keep. 

When we were done sorting out and getting rid of things, my SIL and I looked in the now-not-very-empty room and were horrified that we had taken on almost all of Mom's stash.  We started culling pretty quick.  Even with that, I just recently did another cull because, good grief, I am living in a tiny two room condo and have no place to display half the things that are "mine" let alone my mother's. 

Mom had even begun collections on my behalf:  I have a set of Nancy Anne hard plastic Storybook dolls that will never be displayed and which I am tired of lugging around with me.  Just discovered someone online who buys...I am hoping I can convince her to take my stash. 

Still can't bring myself to get rid of her wedding gown and shoes, though.  I am thinking of making it into an art collage to be displayed in a shadow box and will use the rest of the material to make some sort of family keepsake for my brother.

That is if I can ever get my own clutter out of the way to do it!

crella

« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
I have my mother's wedding gown too, and have no idea what to do with it, but just couldn't throw it away. It has a big tulle overlay, so it's not a strong material suited to making baby's dresses etc out of. It's hanging up in our hall as it's too poofy to go in a closet. Maybe it's just a matter of time, that one day I'll be able to part with it.

The shadow box idea sounds interesting....

pattycake

« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:20 PM »
I am not quite a hoarder, except of fabric! (I am a quilter...) but my Gran was sort of borderline, I think. Mom had a hard time when Gran had to go into a senior's residence, because Gran didn't want to get rid of anything, including a bag of old flannel sheets that hadn't seen a bed for probably 10 years! (I inherited them, they are doing business as thinner quilt battings on summer weight quilts, and some will be used in table runners that you want to lie flat.) I have been seriously going through stuff every time I clean, and thinking about when I have to go into the home and who will get stuck with all that job as I have no family! One "rule" I am trying to go by is "do I love it?" If the answer is no, not really, even though I like it quite a bit, then it has to go. I have a long way to go, but my clutter isn't really that bad and I sure don't want it to get that way. It's hard to give away things Mom gave me (she passed away 8 years ago) but really, it's just stuff, and she's not here to know if I have it or not so... I will take a picture, and send it off to bless someone else!

Jones

« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »
I know there is an organization in my area that makes baby/children's burial dresses out of wedding dresses. It's a very sad but unfortunately needed cause. Might not be helpful in regards to extremely old fabric, though.

On a happier note, I'm pleased to announce that DH and I have gotten in the habit of finding something to throw away whenever we go to his grandmother's home. Not at her place, oh no, not after she accused everyone in her family of stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars when we last removed the literal trash. But after being in that environment, there is a satisfaction in getting rid of something at our own place. I've gone through my closet, donated several pieces of nice clothing and thrown out other pieces that were too worn IMO for resale. I went through DD's clothes and passed outgrown on to Niece. Went through DS's things and passed his too-small items to a school sale (made around $30 for the school).

Oh, and yesterday I passed the old water heater (we had to replace it with a new one a couple months ago), which had been in the backyard sadly waiting for a strong person with purpose, over to a friend of mine who is going to refurbish it as a pig trough. Reuse and recycle...and declutter!

I need to contact the computer recycling place about my old desktop and then find out where I can take some old bikes.

But first, I just realized I still have Christmas cards by the window...going to go grab those real quick.

otterwoman

« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
For the people with wedding dresses taking up space, but are too attached to get rid of them yet; make a pillow out of the fabric.

I picked up a wedding dress at Goodwill a little while back. It had square pieces taken out of the fabric layers. I think the owner had made a pillow out of the fabric, then donated the remainder of the dress. I used what was left to make princess dresses for my daughter. So, a remembrance piece and remade/reused!

dawnfire

« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
For the people with wedding dresses taking up space, but are too attached to get rid of them yet; make a pillow out of the fabric.

I picked up a wedding dress at Goodwill a little while back. It had square pieces taken out of the fabric layers. I think the owner had made a pillow out of the fabric, then donated the remainder of the dress. I used what was left to make princess dresses for my daughter. So, a remembrance piece and remade/reused!

I could see a pillow made out wedding dress used as the ring pillow at their (the original owner's) children's wedding.

greencat

« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »
Remember:  If you can't display it, use it, repurpose it, sell it, or donate it, it's become junk.  Maybe it's sentimental junk, but it's still junk. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
I know there is an organization in my area that makes baby/children's burial dresses out of wedding dresses. It's a very sad but unfortunately needed cause. Might not be helpful in regards to extremely old fabric, though.

That's what I did with my sister's wedding dress - I made it into a christening gown for her future child.  Then she went and had TWINS.   I made a matching dress out of eyelet cotton to go with the satin one.   I'm sure she has them stored away somewhere.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
Remember:  If you can't display it, use it, repurpose it, sell it, or donate it, it's become junk.  Maybe it's sentimental junk, but it's still junk.

It may be pretty  junk (little knick-knacks), but it's still junk.

One thing that helps me define things like that as junk is to go through a thrift store and look at all those items, and think, "I would never buy that--who would buy that? Not all that terribly many people, that's who." Then I feel better about just throwing out little ceramic doo-dads.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
― William Morris

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
― William Morris

And by "useful," he meant, "useful to you."
Not "useful to somebody one day.

JoW

« Reply #297 on: Yesterday at 11:20:57 PM »
...... and then find out where I can take some old bikes........

Call a local bike shop.  In my area there's a bike shop that take old bikes and fixes them up to be given to children in low-income families. 

Jones

« Reply #298 on: Today at 12:02:40 AM »
...... and then find out where I can take some old bikes........

Call a local bike shop.  In my area there's a bike shop that take old bikes and fixes them up to be given to children in low-income families.
I wish! The local bike shop is a bit elite, they won't touch a bike below their standards and they are the only bike shop within 2 hours of here. I was thinking of the scrap metal place but I'll need to disassemble them and remove anything non-metal, so it will have to wait for when I have time.

Today was still a win, I got rid of my under-the-sink egg carton collection; Freecycled it to a guy with chickens.