News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 23, 2017, 05:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 450856 times)

Coralreef

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1755 on: April 19, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
DMIL is insisting we take some shelving that she and FIL have owned for over a decade, which has never been opened, and we're not sure we want. I am not committing to taking it at this point.

Is she the type to be upset if she doesn't see it in your new house? If she really won't care if you actually use it or not, take it as a favor to get it out of her house. Then donate it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army or another place that can use it.

We are in the process of moving now after buying our new home last week. We don't know exactly what we need and how we'll use things, but if I were offered new shelving, I would surly jump on it, hold it until we figured it out, then take of it as o_gal suggested. I would not accept old furniture that people are trying to get rid of, though.

If you have a garage or tool shed, the shelving may be of use in there.

[/right

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1756 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Catching up. ;)

I keep trying to keep reusable bags in the back of my car, but my very helpful DH likes to remove EVERYTHING from the car when he cleans it. Including things like that, the trash bag I keep up front, and other miscellaneous things. Makes me crazy--but I can't even be mad because he's helping! :P

We got back from a short vacation with family a few weeks ago. It was in a resort-y area. Everyone stayed in the same hotel--except for my sister and BIL, who stayed in a cheap motel down the road. Their stay was about $100 less than ours. But our hotel had a big waterpark, and passes were included with your hotel cost. They're also generally guest-only, but the event we were in town for was able to negotiate passes for non-guests at a cost of about $50 per pass.

A few days before we left, Sis texted me to ask if she could have any extra passes we got. (We had previously stayed in this area at a different resort where 4 passes a night were included with the stay.) I was a little annoyed--on the one hand, if we got four, we wouldn't have used the fourth pass. But on the other hand, we PAID for those passes, and she wanted them for free. I begrudgingly told her ok, but warned her that we might not get any extras. Other family members not interested in the waterpark offered theirs, too.

We stayed a little longer than everyone else, and arrived a day early. When we checked in, they gave us exactly the number of passes for people/age group in our room. AND the passes were also room keys. I e-mailed family to let them know (and to warn them about the passes being keys, since by giving up their passes they would also not be able to leave the room at all.)

There were multiple back-and-forth messages about schemes to "add" Sis and BIL to their "room guests", etc. In the end, after several faxes, phone calls, and brainstorming, Sis and BIL WERE able to snag a couple passes without paying.

OR, they could have just paid the same amount as the rest of us and avoided a massive hassle in order to save a couple bucks  ::) Also, Sis thinks they got bedbugs from their motel, so, :P

Sis has many odd ways of "being thrifty" that generally don't end up being money-saving techniques (or very valuable.) She's a big fan of pirated movies too, which, as someone who works in a creative field, makes me NUTS. (Plus, I hate watching shaky lo-res videos.) Last year she called me in a panic because her hair was super messed up--because she likes to go to the cosmetology school for beauty stuff. Which I would do too, for easy stuff, but what she wanted them to do was fairly complex, and something I wouldn't trust first-year students with. She ended up spending 10+ hours over two days to get it done, and then fixed (she also had to take a personal day at work.) But, hey, it was cheap.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1757 on: April 19, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

OR, they could have just paid the same amount as the rest of us and avoided a massive hassle in order to save a couple bucks  ::) Also, Sis thinks they got bedbugs from their motel, so, :P

Sis has many odd ways of "being thrifty" that generally don't end up being money-saving techniques (or very valuable.) She's a big fan of pirated movies too, which, as someone who works in a creative field, makes me NUTS. (Plus, I hate watching shaky lo-res videos.) Last year she called me in a panic because her hair was super messed up--because she likes to go to the cosmetology school for beauty stuff. Which I would do too, for easy stuff, but what she wanted them to do was fairly complex, and something I wouldn't trust first-year students with. She ended up spending 10+ hours over two days to get it done, and then fixed (she also had to take a personal day at work.) But, hey, it was cheap.

I have family members like this. ONe in particular, who i do get along with, and went on vacation with a few years back. a 10 hour drive from her (4.5 from me so i had extra driving). We rented a beach condo from a friend of mine, who gave us a great deal, and let us use their towels and beach chairs, so we didn't have to bring them with us.

Good thing since she shopped til she dropped and we literally had no space in the car on the way home.

But the cheapskate part was she was (now retired) in the military. So her plan, or thought, was to drive to the nearest commissary so we didn't have to pay tax on groceries!!!!  and the plan was, breakfast and lunch in the condo, when we were there, and dinner out. so for 6 days, not a lot of groceries are needed...just enough for breakfast, sandwiches etc. and maybe some snacks. Nearest commissary was a good hour away! Um no, just no. i am not going to drive all over the place just to save a few dollars in tax. Fortunately, i looked and in that state, no sales tax on food. But really???? not to mention the time spent getting there and back! i suspect since she likes to shop at the PX, and is a compulsive shopper, it was also a ploy to go and see what they had there. Sorry, but i am not on vacation so you can shop.

Same relative, this time with her now DH, went to a wedding out of state for the daughter of one of her cousins. Other side of the family. Her brother and SIL also went, and the reception was in a fancy hotel...think 5 star. Her brother and SIL did their homework, and while the reception hotel was pricy, it was convenient, parking and breakfast were included, so they booked that one. SIL can also be frugal, but not like the other one. me? I would have paid whatever for the convenience.

Anyway, said relative decided that was too much to pay, and booked some cheap hotel, a mile or less away...just to save like $50. SIL had researched but the reviews for this one were just so so. So at the end of the night, relative and DH decide to walk back to their hotel, she in heels, both not quite sober, and through a not so nice area. Just to save money. woudn't even call a cab!!!

Yet she thinks nothing of spending 1K in a day shopping. i don' get it.

goldilocks

« Reply #1758 on: April 20, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
My DH's entire  family is  full of cheapskates, as well as spendthrifts who never save a dime then want us to bail them out when they have emergencies.

Several years ago, my DH decided to take a family trip to  ski.   The trip was us, 3 children, and his brother.  Brother was paying his own way, except for the hotel and rental  car, which we had agreed to  pay since we were taking up the majority of the room anyway.   

A few weeks before the trip, brother   calls and tells DH that his neighbors are going to  come as well.   (we've met them once).   They've always wanted to go skiing.   DH (a much faster thinker than I am) said,  that's great!   I'll give you the name of the  place we are staying, maybe they can get a room  there as well.   Brother said "what do you mean, we already have a room that's paid for, why can't they just stay there".   

DH said no, but I swear to this day Brother doesn't understand why.  In his mind, since the room  was already paid for, everyone else gets a free ride.

Asharah

« Reply #1759 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
My DH's entire  family is  full of cheapskates, as well as spendthrifts who never save a dime then want us to bail them out when they have emergencies.

Several years ago, my DH decided to take a family trip to  ski.   The trip was us, 3 children, and his brother.  Brother was paying his own way, except for the hotel and rental  car, which we had agreed to  pay since we were taking up the majority of the room anyway.   

A few weeks before the trip, brother   calls and tells DH that his neighbors are going to  come as well.   (we've met them once).   They've always wanted to go skiing.   DH (a much faster thinker than I am) said,  that's great!   I'll give you the name of the  place we are staying, maybe they can get a room  there as well.   Brother said "what do you mean, we already have a room that's paid for, why can't they just stay there".   

DH said no, but I swear to this day Brother doesn't understand why.  In his mind, since the room  was already paid for, everyone else gets a free ride.
How big was this room?
Asharah

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1760 on: April 21, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »

How big was this room?

that's wht I was wondering too! Wow. the nerve of some people but good for your DH!

eltf177

« Reply #1761 on: April 21, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

Inviting guests your host doesn't even know without asking? :o

Please tell us Brother never received another invite! ::)

Shalamar

« Reply #1762 on: Yesterday at 01:33:58 PM »
Don't hotels have rules about how many people are allowed to use a hotel room?