News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 24, 2016, 02:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blessings in Disguise  (Read 9306 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Blessings in Disguise
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »
Earlier this year, the stress at my job was growing exponentially.  My job had always been stressful, but this was ridiculous.  In March, I thought I was having a heart attack.  My doctor determined that I was having muscle spasms in my chest and back, and he did place me on a 2 week sick leave.  During those two weeks, I looked at my situation.  I will be 62 in July, and qualify for Social Security.  I had been contributing a lot to my 401k in the last few years, and what with Social Security (even though not at the full amount since I am retiring early) and my 401k, I had enough to retire.  Even my health insurance -- the majority is paid for by my employer since I had more than 10 years in.  So I retired.

Since then, one manager (who I thought highly of) was demoted for what sound like pretty iffy reasons.  A regional assistant manager was outright fired (they said he accepted a banana from a customer, and we cannot accept anything - but being he was a regional manager, I don't understand how he had any interactions with any customers).  Three other managers are on long term medical, all stress related.  Another manager with 27 years on the job retired, giving less than 24 hours notice.  They are dropping like flies. 

I am so glad I am out of there.  I haven't felt this physically good in years.

Good for you! glad you were able to get out now, and enjoy life!

On a similar note; i turned 50 last year and went WHOAH i have less than 20 years until i can (hopefully) retire. Wow. that's scary. Will i have enough money, etc? I think i will, and i also realized i don't have to stay in my state. My mom recently moved back here, and its great having her close. But when I'm 67 which is when i think i'll retire, she will be 97!! I'll stay in there are as long as she's around, but after that, i can go wherever i want, which will be somehwere warmer!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
Last fall, BF and I went to an open house for a house we knew we couldn't yet purchase.  It was a nice place, though not quite what we were looking for and the well needed to be upgraded because it wasn't up to current standards (which is my field).  It did have the advantage of being located to a parcel of vacant land that would reportedly be going back up for sale this spring.

We passed on the house, found a much nicer house for only a little bit more money, on municipal water (soft water - Yay!) and just closed on that place the end of April.  And now, there is a piece of property zoned industrial almost right behind that we can purchase for less than half of what the other vacant property was listed at last fall.  I'm making an offer on it today, in fact.

The kicker?  That vacant property did come back on the market this spring.  For $110,000 more than it was listed at last fall.  :o  If we'd bought that house with the hopes of buying the property to build the auto shop for BF, we'd be out of luck because we can't afford it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gmatoy

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
Last fall, BF and I went to an open house for a house we knew we couldn't yet purchase.  It was a nice place, though not quite what we were looking for and the well needed to be upgraded because it wasn't up to current standards (which is my field).  It did have the advantage of being located to a parcel of vacant land that would reportedly be going back up for sale this spring.

We passed on the house, found a much nicer house for only a little bit more money, on municipal water (soft water - Yay!) and just closed on that place the end of April.  And now, there is a piece of property zoned industrial almost right behind that we can purchase for less than half of what the other vacant property was listed at last fall.  I'm making an offer on it today, in fact.

The kicker?  That vacant property did come back on the market this spring.  For $110,000 more than it was listed at last fall.  :o  If we'd bought that house with the hopes of buying the property to build the auto shop for BF, we'd be out of luck because we can't afford it.

Wow! So often we have to wait  a long time to see that there were "Blessings in Disguise." This was a quick answer! Hope you get the new property!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
This one is pretty minor.  We ordered a whole lot of retaining wall stone for building raised gardens.  It got delivered last Friday.  We did manage to get one skid moved and under the back deck.  Our plan was to move the rest off the roadside and finish filling up under the back deck then put the rest under the side deck.  This week got away from us and we didn't get any more stone moved.

Had a meeting with the guy who is going to install the whole home generator, which we thought was going to go beside the garage, where the electrical panel is.  Nope.  It's going under the side deck, next to the gas meter!

If we'd gotten all the block moved, as planned, we'd have been moving it again.  We're hoping next weekend co-operates and we can actually start building the beds so will only have to move most of the stone once.  Theoretically.   :P
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
This is one of my favorite threads on the forum. I love how as we gain more experience, we see things in a different light.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

AngelicGamer

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2016, 03:45:10 PM »
I'm thinking of it as a blessing in disguise but mom's upset as she really wanted the house.  We're looking for a place to downsize to, as we do not need our two story house with four bedrooms and three full baths anymore.  We went to look at a really beautiful place, not too far from where we are now, but in a different suburb.  It is a great place, save for a few things, like water in the basement and some really big cracks in the bedrooms.

The home inspector said we should get an engineer out to look at the structure of the house.  We agreed and did, while asking the people who own the house now if we could take the panels off the wall where the water is to see what the problem might be.  There was no answer by the time of the appointment and it seems that it could be anything from cracks to be sealed to the house sinking.  He can't tell anything without taking off the panels.  So we ask again as the engineer is really nice and says he'll come back out again for us when the panels are off.

So, we get an answer yesterday.  The owners say to take the house as is, no letting us see what is underneath those panels, so we're walking away from the home.  It's sad, because it's really nice and spaced the way we want, but we're also not to get into a problem house that will become a money pit.  We're seeing another house tomorrow and it's got a screened porch!  So I'm hopeful.  :)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
I'm thinking of it as a blessing in disguise but mom's upset as she really wanted the house.  We're looking for a place to downsize to, as we do not need our two story house with four bedrooms and three full baths anymore.  We went to look at a really beautiful place, not too far from where we are now, but in a different suburb.  It is a great place, save for a few things, like water in the basement and some really big cracks in the bedrooms.

The home inspector said we should get an engineer out to look at the structure of the house.  We agreed and did, while asking the people who own the house now if we could take the panels off the wall where the water is to see what the problem might be.  There was no answer by the time of the appointment and it seems that it could be anything from cracks to be sealed to the house sinking.  He can't tell anything without taking off the panels.  So we ask again as the engineer is really nice and says he'll come back out again for us when the panels are off.

So, we get an answer yesterday.  The owners say to take the house as is, no letting us see what is underneath those panels, so we're walking away from the home.  It's sad, because it's really nice and spaced the way we want, but we're also not to get into a problem house that will become a money pit.  We're seeing another house tomorrow and it's got a screened porch!  So I'm hopeful.  :)

That's definitely a 'Run, run fast' situation!  Either that or knock $75,000 off the offer for the foundation repair it looks like it needs.
Ontario

AngelicGamer

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »

That's definitely a 'Run, run fast' situation!  Either that or knock $75,000 off the offer for the foundation repair it looks like it needs.

Considering it was pulling teeth for them to come down from what they originally wanted for the house (sorry, it's not worth 300K, even more so with problems), that wasn't about to happen.  I have talked mom around to seeing the positive and now she's looking forward to the house we're going to see tomorrow.  :)