News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 28, 2016, 11:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cube farm/cubicle people - I need your advice  (Read 1584 times)

cattlekid

Re: Cube farm/cubicle people - I need your advice
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 12:31:13 PM »
Being from the Midwest US, we call it "prairie dogging"  :D

I don't work in a cube farm, but now I kind of wish I did, solely because I would like to use the phrase "doing the meerkat"  ;D ;D That is hilarious!

(I have to admit it took me a minute to figure it out....meerkat? Is that a typo? What do meerkats have to do with cube farms......Ohhhhhhh!)

RainyDays

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 12:56:17 PM »
Being from the Midwest US, we call it "prairie dogging:D

I don't work in a cube farm, but now I kind of wish I did, solely because I would like to use the phrase "doing the meerkat"  ;D ;D That is hilarious!

(I have to admit it took me a minute to figure it out....meerkat? Is that a typo? What do meerkats have to do with cube farms......Ohhhhhhh!)

I cannot read/hear that phrase without thinking of something very different. "Doing the meerkat" has a much better ring to it ;)

knitwicca

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 01:43:04 PM »
I have worked in cube farms for most of my career.

In addition to the above suggestions, please don't sit at your desk and call the name of someone in another cube "to see if they are at their desk".  ::)
I hate hearing people just randomly call out my name.  Or having conversations between the cubicle on my left and the cubicle on my right...they sit at their desks and loudly converse to one another.

We have an in-house instant messaging system. Because we are spread out for multiple buildings, this is a handy way to contact someone for a quick yes/no question.
It is linked to our calendars and email.  If someone wants to IM or email, when they look up a name there will be a dot next to it.
Green means available.
Yellow means there is something on the calendar and the person is unavailable.
Red means AFK for more than 10 minutes.
I really love that system!

About the food issues....please no FISH in the microwave.  One of the guys in my cube farm brings in left overs (no problem) which often include fried or grilled fish. 
Yesterday, I could smell it from within the stairwell which is separated from our cube farm by a fire door, hallway, and another fire door.   :o

rose red

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 05:04:07 PM »
If you're a naturally quiet person, don't "sneak up" behind someone. Approach to the front of the cube if possible. If not, try to make some kind of noise or call their name from a few steps away. It's scary to find a person suddenly right there.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 08:20:10 PM »

I cannot read/hear that phrase without thinking of something very different. "Doing the meerkat" has a much better ring to it ;)

Yes, I remember that scene from 'Vacation'...  Meerkatting and prairie-dogging are much the same thing in this context.  Something interesting is being said, next thing you know there are heads popping up all over the place to contribute!

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 08:46:13 PM »
If you're a naturally quiet person, don't "sneak up" behind someone. Approach to the front of the cube if possible. If not, try to make some kind of noise or call their name from a few steps away. It's scary to find a person suddenly right there.

I hung a mirror behind my desk because my back was to the cubicle entrance, and I didn't like being sneaked up on.  This also meant, however, that I had to chase the hair-combers and those putting on makeup out of my cubicle when I came to work.  Once I jumped a foot when I had been listening to a dictation and had been concentrating, and looked up in my mirror and saw a white coat.  The doctor who was standing behind me said, "Boo."  Because doctors and other dictating providers would come to me for briefings on the dictation system, and other doctors would come to me for document searches, I got a lot of visitors so my cubicle was tucked into a small alcove. 

I also had my own high-speed printer because I handled large numbers of transcribed documents, and I had to guard that thing because high-ranking officers kept trying to appropriate it.  Once when someone came to my cubicle to complain that I had that nice printer and he thought he should have it because, by golly, he was an officer, he demanded, "Why do you have your own printer, anyway?"  At that moment the printer came to life and printed out something like 4 copies each of 50 documents.  As the pages piled up, I said, "That's why."  It was just a coincidence that the printer received a transmission at that moment, but it made my point better than any argument I could have come up with.  I allowed others in my department to print large reports with my printer, as mine was way faster than the department's printer, but I only allowed them to print their reports if I wasn't expecting urgent work.  I would get very urgent documents a few times a day, and these were needed to transfer people to other hospitals, sometimes via helicopter, so I had to have my printer free for situations like that. 

o_gal

« Reply #36 on: Today at 06:34:15 AM »
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet - cube farms are notorious for hot and cold spots. Management needs to set a policy on who can and cannot adjust thermostats. The thermostats will probably be set to heat/cool an entire large floor, with multiple heating/cooling zones. Don't let people adjust the thermostats to suit their tiny little cube - it will affect people 20 to 30 feet away in the same thermostat zone.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #37 on: Today at 07:55:18 AM »

"doing the meerkat" sounds like a dance craze to me.  Using the Hamster Dance music, of course.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:14:49 AM by LadyJaneinMD »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #38 on: Today at 08:09:21 AM »
And I have David Wilcox in my head...  'Do the Bearcat'
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

knitwicca

« Reply #39 on: Today at 09:16:46 AM »
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet - cube farms are notorious for hot and cold spots. Management needs to set a policy on who can and cannot adjust thermostats. The thermostats will probably be set to heat/cool an entire large floor, with multiple heating/cooling zones. Don't let people adjust the thermostats to suit their tiny little cube - it will affect people 20 to 30 feet away in the same thermostat zone.

We have this problem.

The higher-level managers have real offices which are located around the perimeter of the floor.  Which means they have windows. Which face directly to the west. In Florida. In the summer.
Guess where all the thermostats are located....all in 1 west-facing office.  He keeps it set at 73f.  Because I sit nearly dead center of the entire floor, my cube stays at 66f.
It is weird to have to wear trousers, long sleeves or a cardigan, and closed-toed shoes in Florida during July.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #40 on: Today at 10:28:43 AM »

We have this problem.

The higher-level managers have real offices which are located around the perimeter of the floor.  Which means they have windows. Which face directly to the west. In Florida. In the summer.
Guess where all the thermostats are located....all in 1 west-facing office.  He keeps it set at 73f.  Because I sit nearly dead center of the entire floor, my cube stays at 66f.
It is weird to have to wear trousers, long sleeves or a cardigan, and closed-toed shoes in Florida during July.

On the other hand, we have some staff, mostly female, would would keep the air conditioning off year round if possible. In Florida.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien