Author Topic: All Blacks Heads Up  (Read 1117 times)

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
All Blacks Heads Up
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Just to let everyone now that the All Blacks will be playing in  Chicago Saturday 1st November.  I understand NBC will be broadcasting it live.  If anyone is curious about our National Religion sorry sport, this would be a good opportunity.  I would try and answer questions but if you have ever wonder what a hooker does at the bottom of the ruck, (he gets mauled) now is your chance.

AnnaT

Re: All Blacks Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
What exactly is a ruck? I don't follow rugby so this is a foreign language to me ;)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
I totally read the title of the this thread as "All Blackheads Pop Up" and wondered why it hadn't been posted in the gross-out thread.  I think I need to stop reading eHell for a bit and uncross my eyes!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
Just to let everyone now that the All Blacks will be playing in  Chicago Saturday 1st November.  I understand NBC will be broadcasting it live.  If anyone is curious about our National Religion sorry sport, this would be a good opportunity.  I would try and answer questions but if you have ever wonder what a hooker does at the bottom of the ruck, (he gets mauled) now is your chance.

I'll be watching on Universal Sports Network.  I'm a huge rugby fan.  I was trying to figure out a way to get to Chicago on November 1, then back to Charlottesville, VA for a class I'm teaching on November 2. 

Unfortunately I cannot rend the space time continuum and will have to settle for watching them on TV. 

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »
Unfortunately it will be on our TV's, in the middle of the night, so I am trying to decide whether I will stay up and watch it risking being too tired, or wake up and watch it, risking sleeping through it. 

My husband reckons that all the neibourhood turning on their sets will wake me up.

Roodabega

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
Not knowing a lot about rugby, and certainly not any team names, I read the thread title to be a warning to black people.   I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that would show up in an etiquette site.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
Not knowing a lot about rugby, and certainly not any team names, I read the thread title to be a warning to black people.   I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that would show up in an etiquette site.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one  ::).  My brother played a lot in his youth but I know nothing of rugby, so I'll try to find it on our stations (USA).  I was also scared to ask what a "hooker" is, as it seemed way past "stupid question" territory.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »

*dies laughing*

If anyone has DirectTV, it will be shown on Universal Sports Network

AngelicGamer

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:07:56 PM »

Same here.  Or something to do with what happened in St Louis.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 02:45:35 PM »
Thank you!!!!!

My husband is a huge All Blacks fan. I will scour the TV schedule to make sure I can record the game!

Last year we drove to Edmonton to watch Canada play the US.
Cold rain, good rugby!
Had to remind my darling dearest that he is allowed to use his "coaching from the couch" voice at home, but should not bring it to a live game.  ;D

amandaelizabeth

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:16:44 PM »
Its amazing how much one overlooks what is normal in ones  ownculture that may have a completely different interpretation elsewhere.

The All Blacks are called that because they play in 'all black".  Actually they have a white collar to their jerseys, but next year they are going back to all black again.

Black  is reflected in many of our national teams as we play in black.

The Black Caps  - cricket
The Tall Blacks - basketball
The Black Sticks - field hockey
The Cold Blacks - ice hockey
The Black Ferns - Women's rugby
The Black Socks - baseball
Wheel Blacks - wheelchair rugby
Iron BLacks - our American Football team.

We have even persuaded the French to call us Les All Blacks.   Well when they are winning at least.

On the other hand our soccer team is call the All Whites because they play ............... all in white.

Some names do not catch on though.  The national badminton team tried Black Cocks but that never caught on.

I never though people might see this in racial terms.

If you want to know about the team try this http://www.allblacks.com/Teams

Good watching this afternoon and just remember this: The olympic Gold Medal holders of record is    (drum roll please)  the USA.  True fact.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:37:00 PM »
Its amazing how much one overlooks what is normal in ones  ownculture that may have a completely different interpretation elsewhere.

The All Blacks are called that because they play in 'all black".  Actually they have a white collar to their jerseys, but next year they are going back to all black again.

Black  is reflected in many of our national teams as we play in black.

The Black Caps  - cricket
The Tall Blacks - basketball
The Black Sticks - field hockey
The Cold Blacks - ice hockey
The Black Ferns - Women's rugby
The Black Socks - baseball
Wheel Blacks - wheelchair rugby
Iron BLacks - our American Football team.

We have even persuaded the French to call us Les All Blacks.   Well when they are winning at least.

On the other hand our soccer team is call the All Whites because they play ............... all in white.

Some names do not catch on though.  The national badminton team tried Black Cocks but that never caught on.

I never though people might see this in racial terms.

If you want to know about the team try this http://www.allblacks.com/Teams

Good watching this afternoon and just remember this: The olympic Gold Medal holders of record is    (drum roll please)  the USA.  True fact.

Well it's a good thing you weren't posting about the badminton team then.  :)  That would have shocked even more people (and I was very confused about what was going on in this thread as well.  And then the word hooker was the first one I saw in the OP.  Glad it wasn't what I was thinking at first!)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:05:06 PM »
I will admit to doing a double-take when visiting New Zealand and seeing things for "All Black Power!"

"Black Power" in the US has a very different historical connotation  ;D