Author Topic: Renaissance Festival Question - Minimum Suggested Amount for Performers?  (Read 238 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
I've just realized that I've heard the performers reminding people that the only way that they get "paid" at the various Renaissance Festivals I've ever gone to is by passing the hat at the end of every performance.  I have started taking dollar coins (USA) to toss in - because it just looks like more fun than bills & they toss more easily, if the hat is not actually handed to you.  You never know where those bills have been - suppose some stripper previously had the bills that you're giving to the "nuns"?

I have no idea what I should toss into the hat....if I ever win the lottery, I might take some tens or twenties.  But I haven't won anything lately...not even a free coffee at McDonald's!

So - between now and winning six or eight figures in a state lottery - what is a reasonable amount?

My parents never took me to the faire...granted, there weren't any of that nature when I was growing up! 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

katycoo

Its going to vary on the performance - how many people are in it, how long or in depth was it, how much did you enjoy it?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
I usually do a dollar or two for average performances, a five for ones I really like. Not that I have much time to watch the shows at the faire much anymore, I'm always working! :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
Okay - a couple of coins (dollar coins) for those I like with one or two performers.  More if there are more performers.  Same couple of dollar coins for a busker?  Unless I stand and listen for a LONG time, then more coins in the hat?

Note to self - get two rolls of coins this time...or a lot of ones...somehow the coins feel classier - that many one dollar bills would make me wonder where the bank teller thought I was going...I suppose I could be setting up a garage sale, instead of going to see the Chippendale Dancers...but...

Note - may want a sturdier leather belt for my belt purse...possibly even a new belt purse.  Must check my garb...

songbird

I usually give a dollar, more for my favorite nuns and knife throwers.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
Tortuga Twins are the rowdiest & maybe the most fun - depending on which show we go to...but the Lost Boys (teal plaid kilts) haven't been seen lately at any of the festivals I've gotten to.  Darn it...just relocated their website - fewer bookings than in the past...darn it.

And none of them close to where I'll be!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:14:24 PM by VorFemme »

Amethyst

My husband performs at ren faires as part of a five person act and he says a dollar tip is totally fine. You can, of course, tip as high if you like if you especially like the show. It's also not unusual to offer a performer a larger tip prior to a show accompanied by a request, like adding a particular song into their set list or asking for a shout-out for someone's birthday or whatnot.

Also, don't let performers guilt you into tipping if you don't actually want to do so. Many performers will make it sound like tips are their only pay, but most of them will have a contract with a guaranteed paycheck, especially if they're a prominent enough act to be on an actual stage with their name on a performance schedule.

magician5

Some of my friends are renfaire performers, so I'd like to suggest $50 to $100 as a minimum.

And if you see them (Wedji and Gandersnitch the goblins), be sure to ask them if they ever opened their food concession: fried chupacabra on a stick, and roast sasquatch.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Some of my friends are renfaire performers, so I'd like to suggest $50 to $100 as a minimum.

And if you see them (Wedji and Gandersnitch the goblins), be sure to ask them if they ever opened their food concession: fried chupacabra on a stick, and roast sasquatch.

Having busked at the SoCal faire as well as playing for dancers, I think that's an appropriate amount -- per customer, of course!

When I played, the whole band was on salary so we only passed the hat if we were busking at one of the ale stands -- and in that case, we were more playing for the ale.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain