News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 30, 2015, 01:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Job and starting dates  (Read 548 times)

texgalatheart

New Job and starting dates
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
I'm asking on behalf of my DD. She has just finished a college program and had a job interview next week on Tues. She has been trying to decide what start date to give.

Background - she has been working at the same job for 5 years - not related to her college program. the job has been wonderful in accommodating her school and clinical hours. They know she is leaving once she gets a job in her new field. She plans to give as much notice as she can.  She will be vested in her retirement on Aug 5th.  As a "reward" for working full time, going to school 3/4 time and clinical hours 16-18 hrs week for almost 2 yrs, we are going on a cruise Aug 15-22. 

So the question for hiring manager: what date would you prefer to hear?  Anytime after Aug 5th with the caviat that she needs time off for the cruise ( new job can choose to start before cruise or wait until she's available after) or Aug 24th?

Zizi-K

Re: New Job and starting dates
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:02:59 AM »
I'm not a hiring manager, but I wonder if she will be asked for a start date at this interview? I feel like that might be the case for a retail job, but if this is something professional, in her field, then I would think that start dates wouldn't be discussed until an offer is made. Unless they bring it up, I wouldn't advise her to mention it. She would sound like she was getting ahead of herself. It often takes companies a little while before they can interview all the candidates and decide on one, so they may not even get back to her until well into August, at which time it wouldn't be strange at all to ask to start in a week's time, or two week's time.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
I agree; the interview is really to see if the candidate has the qualifications, is a good fit, etc. In my experience, unless they were really desperate to fill a job, and absolutely needed to have someone ASAP, the start date doesn't even come up, especially in the initial interview.

She may have a second one, and maybe more, which takes time. Also, being that its summer, and people are on vacation, it may take more time.

The only piece of advice I can give, is she's offered the job, and accepts, and it may conflict with your cruise, that she tell them right away. Some companies maybe ok with an employee starting, and then taking time off, for something previously scheduled, and if it means holding off another week, some companies may be ok pushing the start date back.

Don't let her do what a CW did at my first job. Same type of thing; trip to celebrate her graduation, but after starting, she never said anything, until the friday before the week she was going to be out! they certainly would have let her go, but they weren't too pleased they found out at the last minute.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
I think I would say "Regarding the starting date...I am available after August 5th but have a trip planned Aug 15-22. Which would work better for you, to start Aug 6th or when I get back?"

But don't talk about it until after you get the offer!

I was hired out of college and had told them July 1 for a start date (so I could have some time off)...but I got bored so asked if I could move it up to June 15 which they did...turned out to be good because I got an extra week off having started before July 1.