Author Topic: Pawn shops  (Read 2669 times)

demarco

Re: Pawn shops
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 11:52:06 AM »
DH and I were vacationing in Rapid City, South Dakota about 35 years ago when I spotted an out of print Dave Clark Five LP in the window of a pawn shop.  We went in and bought it and had some fun  looking at the other stuff they had. I don't think I'd ever even seen a pawn shop before and I've never been in one since but I've still got the record.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 11:52:20 AM »
I bought a nice ring with two synthetic alexandrites for a very good price.
It was labelled as amethyst, but I noticed the color shift. :)

alkira6

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 11:59:38 AM »
I used to love going into pawn shops at the end of the school year when I lived in a huge university town. The things you would find! Video games almost new, DVDs, electronics, you name it.  I also loved going into the large used book store across the street at the same time.  No one wanted to pack, so I usually racked up on text books, fiction, and CDs.

Amara

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 01:00:28 PM »
Hmm, you have all made me think that maybe I should check out the pawn shops in my town.  :-*

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 04:30:21 PM »
As I've mentioned, lots of musical instruments and accessories.  Also (unlike DVDs) the customer can test/try out a drum set, guitar, amps, etc.  I guess when a band breaks up, upgrades, of if someone needs the money fast, a pawn shop is a good route to go.  I'm no expert, but the guitars were quite attractive.

Actually the jewelry also looked nice - just that I personally didn't see anything that struck my fancy enough for me to part with money in excess of what I allowed for shopping that day.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 09:42:48 PM »
If I ever decide to buy a new recorder (the wooden flutelike instrument) I'll check out the pawn shops down the street.  A friend got an alto one for $5, which is cheap for the nice wooden one with beautiful tone that she got.  I paid more than that for the plastic ones I currently have. 

doodlemor

« Reply #36 on: Today at 01:47:20 AM »
My DH and his partner recovered an old, very valuable violin from a pawnshop that had been stolen from a member of the philharmonic  by an individual on their caseload.  The violin was worth thousands, and the pawnshop had put a $60 price tag on it.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #37 on: Today at 08:53:53 AM »
I am curious.  Did they pay the $60, or say "Hey, this is stolen" and then go through whatever channels there are to get it back. 

magicdomino

« Reply #38 on: Today at 10:48:35 AM »
Several years ago, when one of my nephews was in a rock band, their equipment was stolen.  His mother was searching Ebay for a replacement when she found her son's guitar being sold by a pawn shop in Texas.  Not just the same model, the same guitar, obnoxious stickers and all.  I believe they were able to get the guitar back without paying for it, mostly because the police stolen property report had a detailed description, but it wasn't easy because the pawn shop was in another state.  The same shop had the guitar's amplifier, but the rest of the band's equipment was never located.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #39 on: Today at 12:02:36 PM »
I am curious.  Did they pay the $60, or say "Hey, this is stolen" and then go through whatever channels there are to get it back. 

Sounds like DH and partner may have been Law enforcement