News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 02:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone here taken over someone else's lease on a car before?  (Read 689 times)

kittyhugger35

• Cat wrangler and professional bunny hugger. -I love soft things!
Has anyone here taken over someone else's lease on a car before?
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Dear Ehellions

I am having some short term car issues. I don't want to lease a car for $300 a month for 3 years. I need a lease that is 1-6 months long -I will be getting a car from a relative after that. I don't want to rent for $700 a month for one month up to 6 months so I read about these taking over other people's car leases and that might work for me. Has anyone tried that here? What are the pitfalls that you have noticed if you've tried it or looked into it?

Thanks.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

pattycake

Re: Has anyone here taken over someone else's lease on a car before?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »
Here's an alternative - add up what you are willing to spend on rental for the six months, and see if you can buy a decent old car to use for that time. Check out vehicle auctions. I know a few people who have gotten vehicles for under $1000 that have worked well for several years. My friend's daughter got hers for something like $750 about two years ago, and has had it for going on three years now.

miranova

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
You would have to have money up-front for this (which I do not know if you do or not) but I would also just buy like a $2000 used car.    Remember, you can sell it when you are done, probably for the same price you paid or slightly less.  That's the cheapest way to do this in my opinion. 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »
Thirty years ago, we had VorGuy's car in the shop for repairs (import car - so parts coming from overseas) and body work after a relatively minor accident - we spent cash on a cheap car (about six hundred dollars USA) on an older vehicle from the "lemon lot" at Luke Air Force Base (looked like heck, drove just fine) and used it while waiting for the parts to come in and the repairs & such to be completed (it took about three to four months or so).  The next door neighbor bought it for his high school senior daughter, as it would not show dings & scratches from any of the other teenaged drivers (parking lots at high schools are apparently known to be places where cars pick up small dings & dents) while she finished the school year & graduated.

But in Phoenix, Arizona - cars fade more than they rust...so depending on where you're looking for an older used car - it might not be that easy to find something that works "well enough" for short term.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:46:46 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »
Do you need a car every day or would using something like Zipcar for the few trips you really need one work?

bopper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
Can you buy a car and then sell it later?