News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2017, 09:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have you ever walked out of a restaurant?  (Read 6393 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Have you ever walked out of a restaurant?
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2017, 06:09:40 AM »
Go on, Mustard; nosy people enquiring minds want to know! >:D

When we were children, there was always the threat of being marched out of a restaurant (on our rare visits to one) if either of us diisplayed less than immaculate behaviour.  Fortunately, we weren't the kind of kids that should be removed from a restaurant for their behaviour (despite my brother being so "all boy" that normally only superglue* would keep him seated for prolonged periods).

* Joke. ;)

Look at #11; Reader, I did it!

:-[ :-[ :-[

Short-term memory of a goldfish.  I knew someone had posted a story like that, but hadn't remembered it was you, sorry. ::)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mouse Isa

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »
This happened back in November.  Parents, boyfriend and sister went to a Denny's.  Ten minutes in no one has come to see us.  After calling out "Hello?", another customer eating with family answered my mom saying there was only one waitress(somewhat rudely too).  Glancing back, I can see the woman rushing about in the kitchen, looking harried.  She was doing all of what a team of 15 people should be doing all alone.  We left when told.
Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah

HannahGrace

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
There was a Greek restaurant that had received a stellar review in the paper, so my then-boyfriend and I decided to try it before going to a movie.  The waitress took our orders, brought us Cokes and small starter salads, then disappeared.  After 40 minutes or so, we flagged her down and asked if our food was almost ready.  "10 more minutes," she promised.  20 more minutes elapsed.  We asked again.  "10 more minutes."   20 more minutes went by.  At this point we knew that unless we got our food very soon, we'd be late for our movie, so we asked again.  "10 more minutes."  Trying not to get angry, we pointed out that she'd told us the same thing repeatedly, and yet here we were, food-less.   She finally admitted that they were short-staffed, and they'd get to our orders as soon as they could.    We said "Never mind.  We're leaving."

As we approached the door, the manager chased us down.  We assumed he wanted to apologize for the wait.  Not a bit of it - he started yelling at us for "Not paying."  We said "For what?  Two Cokes and tiny salads?   After your staff kept us waiting for 1.5 hours for food that never came?  You can whistle for it, pal."  He was furious and said "This is a nice place!  Good food takes time!  This is not a pizza restaurant, you know!"  We said "No kidding.  If it were, we wouldn't be leaving hungry."

So you ate food and drank a beverage other than water and didn't pay?

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
Gotcha.  I won't go to Dave's after the one near me was stealing credit card numbers.   :P

And agreed.  Mission is the closest to Tennessee BBQ I've found, except for the ribs.  For ribs I go to Red Hot & Blue.

(And now I want Mission for dinner.  Dangit.)

awwww, can I share this?  I know the owners of the brand and they'd love to see this.

Owners of which brand?  And sure!
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

miranova

« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
There was a Greek restaurant that had received a stellar review in the paper, so my then-boyfriend and I decided to try it before going to a movie.  The waitress took our orders, brought us Cokes and small starter salads, then disappeared.  After 40 minutes or so, we flagged her down and asked if our food was almost ready.  "10 more minutes," she promised.  20 more minutes elapsed.  We asked again.  "10 more minutes."   20 more minutes went by.  At this point we knew that unless we got our food very soon, we'd be late for our movie, so we asked again.  "10 more minutes."  Trying not to get angry, we pointed out that she'd told us the same thing repeatedly, and yet here we were, food-less.   She finally admitted that they were short-staffed, and they'd get to our orders as soon as they could.    We said "Never mind.  We're leaving."

As we approached the door, the manager chased us down.  We assumed he wanted to apologize for the wait.  Not a bit of it - he started yelling at us for "Not paying."  We said "For what?  Two Cokes and tiny salads?   After your staff kept us waiting for 1.5 hours for food that never came?  You can whistle for it, pal."  He was furious and said "This is a nice place!  Good food takes time!  This is not a pizza restaurant, you know!"  We said "No kidding.  If it were, we wouldn't be leaving hungry."

So you ate food and drank a beverage other than water and didn't pay?

Yeah, sorry but you should still have paid for what you consumed.  Slow service doesn't justify theft.

gingerzing

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
Forgot about when we tried to go to a Chinese restaurant in a neighborhood known for quirky shops and antiques. 
The classy restaurant had been a city staple for years.  After many years, the owners made it known that they were closing due to some family situation (or some such).  Within a few months, an acquaintance of mine who had a Mexican Cafe/Pizza shop* took over the space.   He was there for about 3 years and then moved out of town. 
The original owners were able to buy the place back and set up shop with the same name as before.  After they had been open for a few months, DH and I decided to go check it out. 
We went in at about the same time as another couple walked in as the usual busy meal time was starting (about 5:45/6PM).  We noticed that the place was only about one third full.  About that time the hostess came up to the entry and said, "Just so you know, it is taking about one hour for food to be done."   ???
At a Chinese restaurant?
I looked at DH and we walked out. 

*Sounds odd but when he first opened his restaurant, it was in a space that had been a pizzaria.  His 6YO daughter recommended that he keep the pizza ovens so that way if a family came in, Mom and Dad could have Mexican and the kids could have a pizza.  Sound judgement.  He also made some amazing pizzas like Al Pastor Pizza.  I miss him.

oogyda

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »
Gotcha.  I won't go to Dave's after the one near me was stealing credit card numbers.   :P

And agreed.  Mission is the closest to Tennessee BBQ I've found, except for the ribs.  For ribs I go to Red Hot & Blue.

awwww, can I share this?  I know the owners of the brand and they'd love to see this.

You can share my vote for Mission as well.  Going there tonight for DH's birthday dinner.  We love the ribs.

We loved Red, Hot and Blue's ribs as well, but there's not one near us.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:15:57 AM by oogyda »
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Chipmunky

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
This happened when I was about 12.  We didn't walk out but things felt very uncomfortable.

An Italian restaurant opened in our little town.  For the place and time such a restUrant was a bit exotic.  My parents and I went there for dinner on a Friday evening.  The place was absolutely dead.

I ordered manicotti and, when it came about an hour later, it was obvious that someone had run to a local supermarket, bought frozen Celantano manicotti and cooked it in the oven.  It was still slightly frozen in the middle.  My parents' orders were similarly sketchy.

My parents and I decided that the 'restaurant' was a front for something else .  They never expected anyone to actually order food.

There was a restaurant near work that had opened recently, and I went for lunch. It wasn't bad, so I went back a while later with a coworker.

We sat there for 30 minutes, as the wait staff stood around and talked. There was one table that was being waited on attentively, but no one else. Finally, we marched up to a waiter who was leaning on the bar, and told him we'd like to order lunch in a timely manner so we could get back to work.

He smirked at us. "Well, you've come to the wrong place for that." We grabbed our things and hit McDonald's on our way back to work.

We concluded afterwards that this *had* to be a front for something, and the table being served were the big cheeses of the operation. Other than telling us "Go away, we don't want you here," they couldn't have made it plainer that they didn't care about customers.

There was a pizza place in the town we used to live in that DH and I swear is a front/laundry for an Eastern European or Russian crime family. The food was mediocre, the beer was hit or miss (marketed as a sports bar/pizza house), and the restaurant was not situated to encourage clientele (dated lighting, tables, décor, a college "cheap eats" atmosphere despite being 5 miles from the university and the main street of cheap eats and drinks).  It was relatively clean, enough to pass a health inspection but that was it. Given rental/property rates in the area, there's no way the 1-3 tables per night were able to cover the cost of overhead plus employee wages. (at least 1 manager, 2 waitresses, 2 bartenders, and 1-2 people in the kitchen from what we could see, on any given night).

The few times we saw male employees, they were always either managers or bartenders, and had numerous tattoos visible on necks, arms, and hands. Tattoos in and of themselves aren't a bad thing. Tattoos of double headed eagles, cathedrals, and Cyrillic script on the hand(s) of several men, and a partially visible tattoo of a dagger along the collarbone of one guy? Yeah, something's going on there.

We never felt threatened eating there, but nor did we think it a good idea to linger over our meals.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »

Owners of which brand?  And sure!

Mission BBQ.  I volunteer with the wife of the couple that started the chain.
Maryland

EMuir

« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Just recently on vacation, for the first time ever, not the restaurant's fault.

We were traveling and met with a friend for lunch in her city, and bought her lunch. As we talked we discovered that our friend and her partner were going to be visiting a place we were going to in a few days, and her partner really wanted to meet us, so we agreed to meet for supper. Friend said they'd like to take us out for supper, how nice.

Flash forward to the night in question. It's a tourist town, new to all of us. I use Google and find a bar with highly rated food, but when we meet outside there's a lineup out the door (Thursday night, but tourist town).  It's raining out and it's a fairly small town. We're on the main drag, and the stores pretty much go: Restaurant, gift shop, cafe, bar, gift shop, restaurant, gift shop, bakery, restaurant. So we decide to drop into the next restaurant over, named something like "Charlie's". It's not busy.

It's also not named something descriptive like "Chez Expensive". There is no menu on display.

We are seated immediately and open our menus. The entrees all contain either wild game or farmed bison. There are no reasonably priced entrees. Now, if this was myself and partner, we'd suck it up and enjoy the chance to eat something fancy. But when it's our friends treating us? 

They made noises of "It's OK" but then were discussing splitting an entree. I was not going to enjoy myself either at that rate.

When the waiter came by a moment later I said "I'm sorry, but we.... have to leave."  (Thanks brain for not coming up with a good excuse.)

We left without ordering drinks or anything (if I'd been less embarrassed I'd have remembered to leave a tip for his trouble). Once we were out we all sighed in relief and went to the next restaurant that had "pizza" in the name. XD

Another incident 15 years ago has earned my undying loyalty to a restaurant in a city that we only visited once. We were on vacation with family, I was sick as a dog, and there was a restaurant across the street from our hotel. We decided to go there, this was before all restaurants had websites and so we couldn't really look it up online. We were all very casually dressed. We entered the foyer and the place was empty, and was obviously a higher class restaurant by the looks of the dining area. We were greeted immediately and the waiter smiled warmly and said he would get a table ready for us, and gave us a menu to look at "while we were waiting".

The prices were in line with a steakhouse kind of fancy restaurant, and we were tired, hungry, and on vacation, so had worked some higher meal spending into our budget.

The waiter gave us five minutes alone to decide whether to stay or go. It was much appreciated, but we stayed. The waiter seemed pleased. It was an excellent meal and we received great service and tipped well.  Sadly all I can remember is how good the tea with lemon and honey felt on my sore throat.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
Just recently on vacation, for the first time ever, not the restaurant's fault.

We were traveling and met with a friend for lunch in her city, and bought her lunch. As we talked we discovered that our friend and her partner were going to be visiting a place we were going to in a few days, and her partner really wanted to meet us, so we agreed to meet for supper. Friend said they'd like to take us out for supper, how nice.

Flash forward to the night in question. It's a tourist town, new to all of us. I use Google and find a bar with highly rated food, but when we meet outside there's a lineup out the door (Thursday night, but tourist town).  It's raining out and it's a fairly small town. We're on the main drag, and the stores pretty much go: Restaurant, gift shop, cafe, bar, gift shop, restaurant, gift shop, bakery, restaurant. So we decide to drop into the next restaurant over, named something like "Charlie's". It's not busy.

It's also not named something descriptive like "Chez Expensive". There is no menu on display.

We are seated immediately and open our menus. The entrees all contain either wild game or farmed bison. There are no reasonably priced entrees. Now, if this was myself and partner, we'd suck it up and enjoy the chance to eat something fancy. But when it's our friends treating us? 

They made noises of "It's OK" but then were discussing splitting an entree. I was not going to enjoy myself either at that rate.

When the waiter came by a moment later I said "I'm sorry, but we.... have to leave."  (Thanks brain for not coming up with a good excuse.)

We left without ordering drinks or anything (if I'd been less embarrassed I'd have remembered to leave a tip for his trouble). Once we were out we all sighed in relief and went to the next restaurant that had "pizza" in the name. XD

Another incident 15 years ago has earned my undying loyalty to a restaurant in a city that we only visited once. We were on vacation with family, I was sick as a dog, and there was a restaurant across the street from our hotel. We decided to go there, this was before all restaurants had websites and so we couldn't really look it up online. We were all very casually dressed. We entered the foyer and the place was empty, and was obviously a higher class restaurant by the looks of the dining area. We were greeted immediately and the waiter smiled warmly and said he would get a table ready for us, and gave us a menu to look at "while we were waiting".

The prices were in line with a steakhouse kind of fancy restaurant, and we were tired, hungry, and on vacation, so had worked some higher meal spending into our budget.

The waiter gave us five minutes alone to decide whether to stay or go. It was much appreciated, but we stayed. The waiter seemed pleased. It was an excellent meal and we received great service and tipped well.  Sadly all I can remember is how good the tea with lemon and honey felt on my sore throat.

I think your brain was working fine, EMuir: it got you out of there and didn't JADE! ;) ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »
In my town, other than a McDonald's or a Wendy's, there isn't a place to get an ice cream. So I noticed a new place, sort of like a Bask in Robbins, not a kind that is well known, and it was around 4 pm. I went inside, and no one is there. No customers, and no server.

There was a glass covered counter with barrels of ice cream on display, etc. But no one there. I waited, heard some talking and giggling coming from the back room, which I couldn't see. I said "Hello?". And the talking and giggling kept on, they didn't hear me.

I deduced there was indeed some "afternoon delight" there, and it wasn't ice cream!

I left quickly.

kckgirl

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
I walked out once when my children decided they would not behave. This was immediately after we were seated and hadn't yet seen a server. I told them several times to settle down or we'd have to leave. Apparently, they didn't believe it would happen and kept up their uncool behavior. We left, and they learned to control themselves in restaurants.
Maryland

TaterTot

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
I tend to be rather easy-going, but there have been times when I've been upset enough to walk out of a restaurant.

Two moves ago, a bunch of friends helped me with the move.  It was warm, and as I've mentioned many times before, I am a large lady.  So were my friends.  So there are 5 of us extra-wide people, and 2 average-sized folks.  We walk into a restaurant that I've been to before, and I really liked it.  It would be a little pricey, but I was willing to pay it, because my friends were AWESOME. 
It was dinnertime, and busy.  The hostesses (2 very young, very tiny ladies, probably 19-21 at best) said there'd be a 25 minute wait.  I don't mind waiting, and my friends were okay.  So we waited. 
Then one hostess took us back to the far back of the restaurant, walking us in a line through the very busy place, and pointed us to a tiny 4-top table around which they had put 7 chairs.  One of my friends said, 'We can't do this!' and I looked the hostess in the eye and said, 'Have you not SEEN us??'   We decided to go elsewhere. 
The restaurant is still in business, but it's under new management, thankfully, and the food is just as delightful.  But I've learned, never take a crowd of extra-large people there during busy dinnertime.

Another place, a chain BBQ place that has good BBQ, I won't go again.  Whenever I've gone with friends, it's been a great place to eat. But the 2 times I went alone, they acted like I was an imposition on their time.   So I don't go there anymore.

I don't care how large or small the customers are, the restaurant was way out of line trying to cram 7 people around a table meant for 4. There is no way there will be enough space for all of the entrees and beverages as well as enough elbow room for people to actually eat. They should have pushed 2 4-tops together for a group of 7.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
Years ago (I was about 10), we had just had a dance recital and all of us were starving.  We were heading over to my grandparents,  but my parents pulled into a diner to shove some food into us.

Service was slow (10 minutes to get water and no attempt to take our order).  Finally, our waitress comes over to take our order.  She just barely started when the manager came up and said something to her (along the lines of: "That table over there wants their check.")  Waitress loses it.  She rips off her apron and slings it over to the counter.  Waitress and Manager are yelling back and forth ("I'm working as hard as I can!" vs "Rotten attitude!")  She slams her order pad down in front of us.  "I quit!"  And she walks out the front door.  Manager yells after her, "Great!  Good riddance!"  And then he walks away.

My parents realize it is a lost cause.  The overworked waitress is gone.  Manager has no interest in what happens to us.  We left, stopping at a supermarket for my mom to run in and pick up makings for hamburgers.  (We were much closer to my grandparents than home, but she didn't want my grandparents to have to feed 3 ravenous little dancers on their limited financial resources.)

My mother and grandmother made us what turned out to be one of the best hamburgers I ever had.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy