News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 04:55:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2487486 times)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12300 on: August 16, 2017, 04:03:41 AM »
Death in Paradise. A UK crime series. I don't watch much crime, I gave them up when I was about 16.

Victoria

Catananche

« Reply #12301 on: August 17, 2017, 04:45:21 AM »
I really enjoy 'light' murder mysteries. I enjoy watching:

Father Brown
Death in Paradise
Dr. Blake
The Coroner
New Tricks
Inspector Morse
Endeavour
Midsommer Murders
Lewis
Mystery!
A touch of Frost

A bit grittier:
Shetland
Inspector George Gently

Miniseries:
And then there were none... (2015)

While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

rose red

« Reply #12302 on: August 17, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
Got a new question.

If you're taking an airplane somewhere for just a few days, do you have to take all your prescriptions in the actual bottles? Can you take what you need in a small pill box and the prescription sheets the drug store gives you, or will that raise suspicions?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #12303 on: August 17, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
Got a new question.

If you're taking an airplane somewhere for just a few days, do you have to take all your prescriptions in the actual bottles? Can you take what you need in a small pill box and the prescription sheets the drug store gives you, or will that raise suspicions?

You could just have the sheets and the box, unless it is something regulated like a heavy narcotic pain medication. For those, you need the bottle.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12304 on: August 17, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
Got a new question.

I flew last week with a handful of pills in a ziploc bag. No issue.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12305 on: August 17, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
Got a new question.

I flew last week with a handful of pills in a ziploc bag. No issue.

Same here. I always separate my meds into individual packs for each day. If I had to take the original containers there would be a big space problem. Not to mention the fact that I don't want to put my full supply of meds at risk while traveling and taking things out of the original packaging to store at home (and then restore?) just seems awkward.

I know that they advise you to bring the original packaging but I've never had a problem in all the years I've traveled. I know what my meds are and I would be surprised if TSA didn't have a copy of the Physician's Desk Reference handy -- that includes physical descriptions of pills, which are supposed to be unique. My only issue would be that the same generic made by two different manufacturers may have different forms.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #12306 on: August 17, 2017, 02:10:49 PM »
Got a new question.

I generally carry the prescription bottles when possible (I have a mail-order prescription where the bottle just says what's in it, and my name etc. are on a box that it comes in), but nobody has ever asked to see them, even for international travel (Canada and Britain).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

rose red

« Reply #12307 on: August 17, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
Thanks everyone! I probably won't take all the original bottles now. Too bulky for only a few days!

jpcher

« Reply #12308 on: August 24, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
What is "airplane mode" on computers/phones?

Frog24

« Reply #12309 on: August 24, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »

Airplane mode turns off wi-fi receivers on the device. Having Airplane mode on when you're on a flight means you can use the device to play games (offline of course) and watch movies, without interfering with the airplane's signals.

Having airplane mode on when you're at home means you can mess with people who try to use your computer at home, but can't figure out why they're not connecting to wi-fi.  (My dad does this all the time; turns airplane mode on, and then mom can't figure out why she can't get on the internet.) ;)

RainyDays

« Reply #12310 on: August 24, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »

Airplane mode turns off wi-fi receivers on the device. Having Airplane mode on when you're on a flight means you can use the device to play games (offline of course) and watch movies, without interfering with the airplane's signals.

Having airplane mode on when you're at home means you can mess with people who try to use your computer at home, but can't figure out why they're not connecting to wi-fi.  (My dad does this all the time; turns airplane mode on, and then mom can't figure out why she can't get on the internet.) ;)

Well, more than that, it also turns off the ability to make and receive calls and text messages. It essentially turns your phone into an out-of-service device that is only good for reading or playing what has previously been downloaded to it.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #12311 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »

Well, more than that, it also turns off the ability to make and receive calls and text messages. It essentially turns your phone into an out-of-service device that is only good for reading or playing what has previously been downloaded to it.

Yup - no wifi, no mobile data, no phone/text signal, no bluetooth, nothing. It sends/receives no signals of any kind.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

oogyda

« Reply #12312 on: August 24, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »
Got a new question.

I suggest  you visit tsa.gov why take some stranger's word for something this important when you can easily go to the authority on the matter?
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12313 on: August 24, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
Airplane mode = "yes, kid, you can play on my phone for a bit" mode for me  :P Not that I think my girls would INTENTIONALLY call/email/text anyone, but it also blocks things my friends might text me from popping up at the top of the screen while they're playing on it. I mean, a lot of my friends are also romance authors... writer questions are not always safe for young eyes  ::)

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #12314 on: August 24, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »

Yup - no wifi, no mobile data, no phone/text signal, no bluetooth, nothing. It sends/receives no signals of any kind.

Actually, not quite. Wi-fi and bluetooth (short-range transmission capabilities) can both be re-activated while in airplane mode--you just have to manually turn them back on. Some airplanes now provide in-flight wi-fi, which you can use in airplane mode. Airplane mode does turn off the connection to the cellular network (longer-range transmission), i.e., your voice, text, and data connections through your phone provider. That's the capability that truly can't be used in airplane mode. (In fact, the US Federal Communications Commission previously had a ban on cell phones use in aircraft...to protect the cell network, not the aircraft!) There's a Wikipedia article with references, if you want more info.

As RainyDays said, it effectively turns your phone into a out-of-service device--you can do anything except functions that require the cell network. I actually have an old smartphone now that lives in airplane mode since it no longer has a valid sim-card--as long as it stays at home where it can connect to wi-fi, it still works fine as a web-surfing device.