News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 06:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2564560 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12345 on: August 31, 2017, 01:32:26 AM »
I'll preface this by saying I don't have girls, only boys, but I don't see the big deal in letting girls wear make up, within reason of course.  I tend to let my kids decide their appearance for the most part.  I draw the line at permanent things (tattoos and ear gauging) because I feel like they need to be adults before making permanent decisions.  I guess I just don't see makeup as inherently sexual or even adult. 

As far as lipstick meaning someone wants a boy to kiss her, ew.  I guess by that definition I would be celibate, since I almost never wear lipstick.
The makeup discussion got moved to it's own thread to avoid dragging this one off topic.  :)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=143643.0

<3

miranova

« Reply #12346 on: August 31, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
I'll preface this by saying I don't have girls, only boys, but I don't see the big deal in letting girls wear make up, within reason of course.  I tend to let my kids decide their appearance for the most part.  I draw the line at permanent things (tattoos and ear gauging) because I feel like they need to be adults before making permanent decisions.  I guess I just don't see makeup as inherently sexual or even adult. 

As far as lipstick meaning someone wants a boy to kiss her, ew.  I guess by that definition I would be celibate, since I almost never wear lipstick.
The makeup discussion got moved to it's own thread to avoid dragging this one off topic.  :)

I saw that after I posted.  Oops.
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=143643.0

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #12347 on: August 31, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »
Got a new question.

If you're taking an airplane somewhere for just a few days, do you have to take all your prescriptions in the actual bottles? Can you take what you need in a small pill box and the prescription sheets the drug store gives you, or will that raise suspicions?

I generally carry the prescription bottles when possible (I have a mail-order prescription where the bottle just says what's in it, and my name etc. are on a box that it comes in), but nobody has ever asked to see them, even for international travel (Canada and Britain).
If you can peel the label off in one piece, stick that to a plastic sandwich bag and carry your pills in that.  I figure it's not the bottle per se they might want to see, it's the label.

I actually glued it onto an empty pill bottle, so I can use one of those timer caps and have an easy check on whether i took that evening's pill.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12348 on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
My stupid question: how do I go and delete old postal addresses from PayPal?

I've clicked on the cogwheel [as per Help instructions], and it only shows my billing address - but through a vendor site I can see various (multiple) versions of my husband's work address for the previous two employers as well as his current employer, and our two previous home addresses...  And my aunt's home...  And my Mum's.

I also saw an address for me in Erlanger KY :o, which worried me immensely [never been to the US], but the bloke at PayPal said that had no transactions attached, so had never been used.  [Not impressed at all with that response to "have you been hacked?", but I felt reassured that my account hadn't been misused.]

I just want to tidy it up, but I can't find them whilst logged into the PayPal site [which I feel is where I ought to be able to delete them].  The sheer randomness of how the addresses are formatted amazed me - several were nothing like how addresses are set up in the UK, and would explain why couriers have had problems making deliveries!  I do not put half an address in when I'm ordering anything, so I don't know how the mess has got there.

I've tried two different browsers, in case it was incompatibility of code, without success.

This is what I found with google fu"paypal remove old shipping addresses"
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Settings/How-to-delete-old-addresses/td-p/972266

If that doesn't work, there are more options in the results

That's the sort of thing I need - it doesn't work, [because I get no options to "Edit" or "Cancel"], but gives me hope that there will be an answer out there.  Thanks for posting, PastryGoddess, I'll try Google rather than PayPal (wish me luck) - and now I feel dim for not thinking of that already. :-[

when you search go up to tools and restrict results to only show the past year.  PayPal has updated their design, but a lot of their help articles reference the old design

Thank you so much - this was what did the trick.  Bizarrely, it's the up to date information that wasn't proving helpful. :-\

I found [through Google] someone who reposted [in PayPal] this link: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view, and it let me delete the 28 old addresses/variants* on current addresses that had accumulated!  So presumably the webapps bit let me access information denied to me in https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/, which is what I got when I followed the instructions on PayPal, Google, etc, and was the only way I could find my profile before.

* And confirmed that it wasn't me that entered the addresses (I never type my title [style?] with a full-stop or 'notprovided' as part of my address, so I know it's some programming somewhere that has created the duplicates), which has made me happier [I can't be the only person who worries about Alzheimer's when things don't make sense, surely :o].
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12349 on: September 02, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »

I've clicked on the cogwheel [as per Help instructions], and it only shows my billing address - but through a vendor site I can see various (multiple) versions of my husband's work address for the previous two employers as well as his current employer, and our two previous home addresses...  And my aunt's home...  And my Mum's.

I also saw an address for me in Erlanger KY :o, which worried me immensely [never been to the US], but the bloke at PayPal said that had no transactions attached, so had never been used.  [Not impressed at all with that response to "have you been hacked?", but I felt reassured that my account hadn't been misused.]

I just want to tidy it up, but I can't find them whilst logged into the PayPal site [which I feel is where I ought to be able to delete them].  The sheer randomness of how the addresses are formatted amazed me - several were nothing like how addresses are set up in the UK, and would explain why couriers have had problems making deliveries!  I do not put half an address in when I'm ordering anything, so I don't know how the mess has got there.

I've tried two different browsers, in case it was incompatibility of code, without success.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Settings/How-to-delete-old-addresses/td-p/972266

That's the sort of thing I need - it doesn't work, [because I get no options to "Edit" or "Cancel"], but gives me hope that there will be an answer out there.  Thanks for posting, PastryGoddess, I'll try Google rather than PayPal (wish me luck) - and now I feel dim for not thinking of that already. :-[

when you search go up to tools and restrict results to only show the past year.  PayPal has updated their design, but a lot of their help articles reference the old design

Thank you so much - this was what did the trick.  Bizarrely, it's the up to date information that wasn't proving helpful. :-\

I found [through Google] someone who reposted [in PayPal] this link: https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view, and it let me delete the 28 old addresses/variants* on current addresses that had accumulated!  So presumably the webapps bit let me access information denied to me in https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/, which is what I got when I followed the instructions on PayPal, Google, etc, and was the only way I could find my profile before.

* And confirmed that it wasn't me that entered the addresses (I never type my title [style?] with a full-stop or 'notprovided' as part of my address, so I know it's some programming somewhere that has created the duplicates), which has made me happier [I can't be the only person who worries about Alzheimer's when things don't make sense, surely :o].

Glad you got it fixed :)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12350 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »

Glad you got it fixed :)

So am I!  All my research was proving fruitless, so another person's input/perspective was exactly what I needed.

Your (and everyone else's) helpfulness is just another reason that I love eHell! ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Girlie

« Reply #12351 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
Hate to bother all of y'all again, but you're always so helpful and I always get such good advice here!

In a couple of weeks, my family is going on vacation. We'll be gone for just over a week or so, and I've asked a neighbor (who used to be a coworker) to come by every day and care for my cats. The care that I've asked for is very basic - food, water, litter box every other day or so, and please make sure that no one has climbed in my back window and spontaneously combusted in my living room. The cats are good natured, but not overly personable and they are very low-energy, so she won't need to spend time playing with them.

In the past, I've asked my mother-in-law to do this for us. For various reasons (read: she's a nosy busybody who likes to go poking about in other peoples' closets and then make comments), I have elected to ask this neighbor instead. The problem is that neither of us have ever done this before, and I'm not sure what a reasonable amount of money to pay her would be. I would appreciate some suggestions. This would be for six consecutive days, for two Maine Coons, one of whom she will likely never actually see. If it matters at all, she does have a small child who is a little younger than my own. She knows that she is welcome to bring her daughter and utilize my daughter's things for care while she is here (I have a great deal of trust in and respect for her, obviously), so she will not need to find childcare or anything during that time.

Thanks in advance!

Mustard

« Reply #12352 on: September 21, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Hate to bother all of y'all again, but you're always so helpful and I always get such good advice here!

In a couple of weeks, my family is going on vacation. We'll be gone for just over a week or so, and I've asked a neighbor (who used to be a coworker) to come by every day and care for my cats. The care that I've asked for is very basic - food, water, litter box every other day or so, and please make sure that no one has climbed in my back window and spontaneously combusted in my living room. The cats are good natured, but not overly personable and they are very low-energy, so she won't need to spend time playing with them.

In the past, I've asked my mother-in-law to do this for us. For various reasons (read: she's a nosy busybody who likes to go poking about in other peoples' closets and then make comments), I have elected to ask this neighbor instead. The problem is that neither of us have ever done this before, and I'm not sure what a reasonable amount of money to pay her would be. I would appreciate some suggestions. This would be for six consecutive days, for two Maine Coons, one of whom she will likely never actually see. If it matters at all, she does have a small child who is a little younger than my own. She knows that she is welcome to bring her daughter and utilize my daughter's things for care while she is here (I have a great deal of trust in and respect for her, obviously), so she will not need to find childcare or anything during that time.

Thanks in advance!

Does your neighbour have pets herself or plants that need watering so you could have a reciprocal arrangement, rather than payment?  Then you could just give her a small gift from your holiday as a thank you. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12353 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »

Thanks in advance!

I pay a friend of mine $10-20/day when she cats sits for me. However, I have 4 critters she watches, she comes over twice a day, and she plays with them for a bit too. A bit of it it dependent on whether she works the days she's cat sitting or not. I live really close to where she works (within easy walking distance), so if she's working, she pops over before and after her shifts. On days she's off, I pay extra for gas money because she lives a good 30+ minutes from me.

Another thing to consider is whether she has pets that will need sitting in the future. You also said your daughter's are about the same age, so you also have the option of bartering babysitting services for a few afternoons if that suits both of you.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12354 on: September 21, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
When I've done this (both ends of the equation), I don't like there being a price involved. That reduces it to "your time is worth $X to me" - which is perfect when you're hiring a relative stranger, but much harder when it's a friend. I much prefer to bring the person back a gift worth a reasonable amount (I'd do something in the $50-$75 range, for six days) but which you can't point to and say "this cost $X."

RainyDays

« Reply #12355 on: September 21, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
I recently hired a person to come and do this (this is their business model). Someone came once a day, changed the litter boxes, put out food, and played with my two cats. Mine are very sociable, so they appreciated someone being there. They said that for cats that like to hide, they still try to lay eyes on the cat to make sure they are ok, and as such ask for typical hiding places.

I paid $18/day.

Girlie

« Reply #12356 on: September 21, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
I do want to pay her, rather than offer her reciprocal care, though. When I said that she was a former coworker of mine, I didn't want to go into a great deal of detail. The truth is that while she did put in her resignation when her daughter was born, there were extenuating circumstances that caused her to do so. I have reason to believe that she could use the money, and I want to be fair to her while not breaking the bank, either.

The $10-$20/day sounds reasonable to me, and I was thinking maybe $75, which would break down to about $12.50/day for her time.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #12357 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:22 PM »
That sounds reasonable to me.  But do be prepared for her not to take the money.

You should also leave either a stash of cash or a credit card number with your vet, in case of emergency.  Unlikely it will need to be used but best to be prepared, as your friend may not be able to front the money for you.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

becktheriddler

« Reply #12358 on: September 22, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
That sounds reasonable to me.  But do be prepared for her not to take the money.

You should also leave either a stash of cash or a credit card number with your vet, in case of emergency.  Unlikely it will need to be used but best to be prepared, as your friend may not be able to front the money for you.
That is an excellent suggestion.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12359 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »
I'm asking here where to start a thread to try a find a book my mum was describing...

She can remember many snippets of story that would ring a bell for someone who has read the book [story of a 13 year-old girl who joined the Resistance during WWII, and ended up in Ravensbrück concentration camp with Odette Samson and Violette Szabo before marrying a British serviceman and moving to England after the war].

I don't want to derail the thread by posting a huge post with the stories, if there is somewhere better to ask if anyone knows the author title.  If this is an OK place, I'll put up more details later, as my Google-fu is completely failing me.