News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 11:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2429008 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12360 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »
I'm asking here where to start a thread to try a find a book my mum was describing...

She can remember many snippets of story that would ring a bell for someone who has read the book [story of a 13 year-old girl who joined the Resistance during WWII, and ended up in Ravensbrück concentration camp with Odette Samson and Violette Szabo before marrying a British serviceman and moving to England after the war].

I don't want to derail the thread by posting a huge post with the stories, if there is somewhere better to ask if anyone knows the author title.  If this is an OK place, I'll put up more details later, as my Google-fu is completely failing me.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12361 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
I'm asking here where to start a thread to try a find a book my mum was describing...

She can remember many snippets of story that would ring a bell for someone who has read the book [story of a 13 year-old girl who joined the Resistance during WWII, and ended up in Ravensbrück concentration camp with Odette Samson and Violette Szabo before marrying a British serviceman and moving to England after the war].

I don't want to derail the thread by posting a huge post with the stories, if there is somewhere better to ask if anyone knows the author title.  If this is an OK place, I'll put up more details later, as my Google-fu is completely failing me.

Since google can search whole strings of words and even paragraphs, my suggestion would be to look up information and tips on boolean search parameters and to try google advanced search.  The easiest way to get to advanced search is to select settings after you do a search and a dropdown will appear allowing you to select advanced search. 

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12362 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »

Since google can search whole strings of words and even paragraphs, my suggestion would be to look up information and tips on boolean search parameters and to try google advanced search.  The easiest way to get to advanced search is to select settings after you do a search and a dropdown will appear allowing you to select advanced search.

Thank you, once again.  You are a genius!

I have now bought "Child At War" about Hortense Daman (Clews) so my mum can re-read how her friend's neighbour was stopped [and let go!] by Nazi officers when she was 13, ferrying a basket of hand grenades to Resistance colleagues before ending up in the camp with Odette ["Odette" starring Anna Neagle] Hallowes and Violette ["Carve Her Name With Pride" played by Virginia McKenna] Szabo...
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #12363 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »

I have now bought "Child At War" about Hortense Daman (Clews) so my mum can re-read how her friend's neighbour was stopped [and let go!] by Nazi officers when she was 13, ferrying a basket of hand grenades to Resistance colleagues before ending up in the camp with Odette ["Odette" starring Anna Neagle] Hallowes and Violette ["Carve Her Name With Pride" played by Virginia McKenna] Szabo...

That sounds fascinating - thank you for the (perhaps inadvertent) book recommendation!
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12364 on: September 25, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

That sounds fascinating - thank you for the (perhaps inadvertent) book recommendation!

I have the extreme-nosiness gene*, and am always intrigued when another poster needs help to find things.

I don't much like the "ah, got it!" posts, I'd much rather know what the mystery item was, so I was hoping to combine thanks with the answer [and possibly a recommendation, too].  Mum says the stories have stayed with her, even though the lady's name was lost to the mists of time, so I'm having the book posted to me so I can read it before passing it on to her. 8)

* I'm guessing such a thing exists? ;) ;D

jpcher

« Reply #12365 on: September 25, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »

(snip)

I think it's perfectly fine to start a new thread like this in the Time for a Coffee Break folder. I know many others have done it. Personally, I like challenges like these and always go to them when I see the posts.

Which brings me to my stupid question ;) . . . when should questions be posted here instead of a starting a thread of their own? I've often wondered "Should I start a new thread on this topic or post it in stupid questions?"

My thinking is that if the question is detailed, like the bold above, then start a new thread. If the question is simple, post it here.

What are your thoughts?

I'd like to hear from the mods . . . does starting a new thread for a simple question make more work for you? Or do more new threads mean better statistics for the site?

Oh, wait, should I have started a new thread on this question?  ;D

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #12366 on: September 25, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
I would leave a question here if I didn't think it would lead to interesting discussion and/or was only likely to interest a few people. That's a fuzzy distinction, of course, but I'd be more likely to put "Do they still sell X brand of cleanser in the United States?" or "Where can I buy it in Massachusetts?" here, and might start a new thread for the more open-ended "what would you use to scrub your sink?"
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

« Reply #12367 on: September 27, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »

It's available as a Kindle, and on the Look-Inside feature the first page has me hooked. This is a great recommendation, so thanks!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12368 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »

It's available as a Kindle, and on the Look-Inside feature the first page has me hooked. This is a great recommendation, so thanks!

Please do post/PM me what you think about the book [my copy will be delayed because I am 'abroad'], and if you appreciate it*, I will pass on the comments to my mum.  She has mentioned it several times, over the past few years, but this is the first time I've picked up on it.  The only other war-time hero who is local to us (that I can think) of is Reginald Mitchell, who died long before his creation changed the face of the skies during WWII.

* Can't say 'like'; I don't think this is a subject for 'liking'...

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #12369 on: October 02, 2017, 02:06:28 PM »
Does anyone follow Nature is Scary on Twitter? (@NatureisScary) Over the weekend they posted a pic that might be genuine or photoshopped - and that produces my stupid question.

According to the photo caption (https://twitter.com/NatureisScary/status/914310667888455682) the victim is a wallaroo, which Google tells me is from Australia. So for the Aussies or the herpetologists on the board - is that snake legit?! If so, what kind is it? And where might that rock formation be? It's beautiful rock, and a freakin' scary snake.

gramma dishes

« Reply #12370 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »
^^^  The snake is a giant olive python.  It's real and it did eat the wallaroo.

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #12371 on: October 02, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
^^^  The snake is a giant olive python.  It's real and it did eat the wallaroo.

Thanks! (Adding to the list of "Australian Animals That Will Kill You.  ;D)

pattycake

« Reply #12372 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:09 PM »
Oh my word! Keep scrolling down on that Twitter feed! Things you'd never imagine! Some of them belong in the gross out thread...

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12373 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
OK, I have another might-be stupid question: why does the word filter replace my browser name with "FlamingVixen"?  I'm sure I have typed "Microsoft" and maybe "Internet Explorer" without any difficulty, and to me those are much dirtier words [given how much time their SNAFUs have cost me over the years]!

I understand the desire to mildly chastise-by-mocking the use of rude words, and now will often think of someone as a "bacon-fed knave" without knowing/remembering what the replaced word is, but I wonder what is so wrong with my incendiary vulpine helper. ???

Sincerely yours,

Puzzled
[a.k.a. Miriam]

pattycake

« Reply #12374 on: October 03, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »
OK, I have another might-be stupid question: why does the word filter replace my browser name with "FlamingVixen"?  I'm sure I have typed "Microsoft" and maybe "Internet Explorer" without any difficulty, and to me those are much dirtier words [given how much time their SNAFUs have cost me over the years]!

I understand the desire to mildly chastise-by-mocking the use of rude words, and now will often think of someone as a "bacon-fed knave" without knowing/remembering what the replaced word is, but I wonder what is so wrong with my incendiary vulpine helper. ???

Sincerely yours,

Puzzled
[a.k.a. Miriam]

Like you with bacon-fed knave (which actually I do remember what it replaces! - alternate for donkey), I used to know but now am not sure. I think it had something to do with ads or ad blocking.