News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 03:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2507844 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12420 on: October 15, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »
I have pretty severe allergies and get migraines, but can wear clothes straight out of packaging. Most of my clothing comes from a direct ship online retailer, so it's sealed in a bag and I open it. I did wash the last batch after trying it on due to wrinkling and creases from being folded and packaged.

On the "dirty" part. I also handle cash on occasion, and it is far dirtier than most people realize.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12421 on: October 15, 2017, 05:24:23 PM »
I have pretty severe allergies and get migraines, but can wear clothes straight out of packaging. Most of my clothing comes from a direct ship online retailer, so it's sealed in a bag and I open it. I did wash the last batch after trying it on due to wrinkling and creases from being folded and packaged.

On the "dirty" part. I also handle cash on occasion, and it is far dirtier than most people realize.

Years ago I worked in a cash room...most of my day was spent counting money all day long. I kept getting UTI, after UTI, after UTI with no explanation as to why. Finally the doctor asked what kind of work I did and the lightbulb went off. He told me it was far more important to wash my hands BEFORE using the restroom under the circumstances. Then, my sudden recurrent UTIs stopped.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

RubyCat

« Reply #12422 on: October 15, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
Many years ago I worked as a bank teller.  I had many, many problems with sinus infections, eczema, and what looked like conjunctivitis.  The eye doctor finally came to the conclusion that I was allergic to the dust thrown off by the money, especially when it went through the counting machines.  I imagine that all the germs from the money only made matters worse.   Allergic to money!  I didn't last too long at that job and, although I still have allergies, I've not had that combination of illnesses since.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12423 on: October 15, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »

Years ago I worked in a cash room...most of my day was spent counting money all day long. I kept getting UTI, after UTI, after UTI with no explanation as to why. Finally the doctor asked what kind of work I did and the lightbulb went off. He told me it was far more important to wash my hands BEFORE using the restroom under the circumstances. Then, my sudden recurrent UTIs stopped.

My sister worked as a bank teller in the mall for a while and she had the same problem. It's something not a lot of people think about.
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Luci

« Reply #12424 on: October 15, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
I was a librarian and quit getting UTIs after I started to wash my hands before using the restroom. I also learned to bash the nervous habits like rubbing my eyes and face.

We always use sanitizer after handling menus and going through the buffet, which I try to avoid anyway.

I wash clothes before I wear them not only for the sizing but because of people rummaging through the racks and trying on clothes.

Bannisters are pretty filthy, too.

I get a cold about every four years and havenít had the flu in 35 years. Bad luck to mention it now, Iím sure.

Cleargleam

« Reply #12425 on: October 16, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
Wearing mail order clothes out of the package doesn't ick me out, but I'm a bit more pragmatic "off the rack". 

If I purchased from a retailer that sells only adult clothing, I'll probably wear it without washing it.  If I purchased from Target - I'll almost certainly wash it first.  I've seen too many children manhandling *everything*.  Some days, I think I need to count myself lucky if the garment isn't visibly soiled. 

So, I just have to ask this in this thread for confirmation because I am still baffled and confused that people do this...

I can't wear new clothing without washing it first. It smells horrible to me and makes me itch/break out, especially black jeans/pants. Even when trying on clothes, I have to come home and shower immediately or risk getting a rash. Other people wearing new clothing also smells terrible to me and gives me a terrible headache/migraine. However, besides all that, it is dirty. It's been shipped in cardboard (which is probably one of the filthies substances on the planet, next to paper money and gas pump handles), handled, dropped on the floor, and could have left in the dressing room floor in a pile and tried on by countless people.
https://www.today.com/home/do-you-need-wash-new-clothes-wearing-them-verdict-t21801
https://www.thespruce.com/wash-new-clothes-before-wearing-2146345

Upon reading these articles, I've discovered the problem with the migraines and skin rashes--I'm allergic to urea formaldehyde, which I already knew, I just didn't know it was used on clothing to prevent mildew growth before shipping. Well, that surely explains a lot.

So, seriously, how can people just wear new clothes without washing them first? It doesn't ick you out? Can you all really not smell the chemicals from the dye?

knitwicca

« Reply #12426 on: October 16, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
I always wash clothing before I wear it.
Twice I have tried on trousers in a store, took them home and washed them according to the directions, and had them shrink to the point I could not wear them.  They were returned for a full refund.

RubyCat

« Reply #12427 on: October 16, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »
I typically do not wash new clothes before I wear them and luckily, have not had a problem.  Though I recall, when I was young, having to wash new pairs of blue jeans (or dungarees, as we called them) because they were so stiff they would irritate my skin and the color would wear off and leave my legs with a blue tint. 

jpcher

« Reply #12428 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
My DD#1 emailed me a soup recipe that she would like to make with me. It sounds delicious but there's a step that I think is missing. In short:

Allow the soup to simmer on medium-heat for 20 minutes.

Add the soup into a blender 2 cups at a time and blend until the mixture is creamy and pureed.

Somewhere in the back of my mind it seems that putting hot stuff into a blender is a bad thing? Shouldn't there be a cooling off period between the simmer and blending?

Here's the full recipe: https://www.galonamission.com/cauliflower-roasted-red-pepper-soup/

Oh, and can I use a food processor instead of a blender? (I don't have a blender.)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #12429 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
You will not have a good result with a liquid substance in a food processor. A blender or immersion blender is the only option I see for a soup.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #12430 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
Yes, you definitely want to let it cool somewhat if using a regular blender.  I had second degree burns from a blender explosion...  Posted in the 'Don't do that' thread.

An immersion blender would be fine but won't get it as smooth as a regular blender.

I've never tried with a food processor; mine is an ancient Cuisinart and doesn't have a lot of volume so it is much easier to use the blender.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #12431 on: October 27, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
You will not have a good result with a liquid substance in a food processor. A blender or immersion blender is the only option I see for a soup.

DH bought me an immersion blender a few years ago and I love it. It's my go-to when making creamy potato soup or bisque, or when canning salsa or pumpkin. It's well-worth the small investment, IMO/IME.
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

carol1412

« Reply #12432 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »

Food processors work just fine. Do it in (very) small batches and add mostly the solids. I scoop with a slotted spoon and just keep adding what's been processed back to the pot, scooping up more with the slotted spoon each time. Immersion blenders are best, then food processors, then blenders (in both my preferred order and order of least likely to cause accidents to most likely...)

andi

« Reply #12433 on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »
Itíll work if you have a higher performance blender such as Vitamix or Blendtech - maybe some of the upper end Ninjas. Theyíre designed to take the hot liquid.  Otherwise Iíd use an immersion blender.

RainyDays

« Reply #12434 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »

Food processors work just fine. Do it in (very) small batches and add mostly the solids. I scoop with a slotted spoon and just keep adding what's been processed back to the pot, scooping up more with the slotted spoon each time. Immersion blenders are best, then food processors, then blenders (in both my preferred order and order of least likely to cause accidents to most likely...)

Yes to small batches in the food processor! DH and I tried to blend broccoli-cheddar soup in our food processor once (the capacity is much larger than our blender -- yay we can do it all at once!) and completely overlooked the "max liquid" line. That was fun to clean up.