News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2552252 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12480 on: December 09, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »
I've gotten addicted to watching "Say Yes To The Dress" and I've noticed it several times now that during the wedding ceremony, the priest/officiant says "You may now salute your bride" rather than what I'm used to "You may now kiss your bride". Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?
<3

Luci

« Reply #12481 on: December 09, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
I've gotten addicted to watching "Say Yes To The Dress" and I've noticed it several times now that during the wedding ceremony, the priest/officiant says "You may now salute your bride" rather than what I'm used to "You may now kiss your bride". Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?

Were they both in the military with the bride at a higher rank?

Doesn’t matter. I hope not. The kiss could be stated differently, like, "The couple may now kiss," to designate more more of an equality, but I think "salute" really indicates subservience.

oogyda

« Reply #12482 on: December 09, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
A salute is a gesture of respect.  In essence, the groom is showing his bride respect.

In the military it is customary for those of lower rank to salute someone of higher rank first.  However, the higher ranking individual is obligated to return the salute. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

browzer11

« Reply #12483 on: December 09, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »
"Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?".

Never heard of that in my entire life.

Hopefully it's a short lived local fad. Just more silliness.

Luci

« Reply #12484 on: December 10, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
A salute is a gesture of respect.  In essence, the groom is showing his bride respect.

In the military it is customary for those of lower rank to salute someone of higher rank first.  However, the higher ranking individual is obligated to return the salute.

That what I meant...it makes the groom seem lower than the bride.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #12485 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:59 AM »
"Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?".

I heard it the first time on 4 Weddings too and tried to do some searches on origin. I didn't find much. But I did find references to the phrase in a book about a pastor in the early 1900's and there is also an old children's rhyme that had the phrase "Salute your bride and kiss her sweet". So not sure if it's an old tradition that has held on in some regions or something that is just coming back in style.

rose red

« Reply #12486 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:28 AM »

I heard it the first time on 4 Weddings too and tried to do some searches on origin. I didn't find much. But I did find references to the phrase in a book about a pastor in the early 1900's and there is also an old children's rhyme that had the phrase "Salute your bride and kiss her sweet". So not sure if it's an old tradition that has held on in some regions or something that is just coming back in style.

I was also surprised there wasn't much about this on the internet. In addition to what you said, a few sites say it's a southern US thing too, but I don't know how accurate that is.

So it's not common, but doesn't seem like a silly fad either. In addition to local tradition, I can actually see this in a time or even a current place where kissing in public is inappropriate but a handshake is too odd for a married couple.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:39:11 AM by rose red »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #12487 on: Yesterday at 12:04:37 PM »
Sorry! I should have clarified, the couple still kiss like a normal wedding, it's just that right before the kiss where you would normally hear "kiss" you hear the word "salute" then the happy couple kiss like normal.
<3

pattycake

« Reply #12488 on: Yesterday at 01:17:43 PM »
I think the definition of salute in this context would be, from Merriam Webster

1 a : to address with expressions of kind wishes, courtesy, or honor

b : to give a sign of respect, courtesy, or goodwill to : greet

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12489 on: Yesterday at 04:42:15 PM »
I wonder if the word is dubbed in...or do you see the officiant actually say the word salute. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12490 on: Yesterday at 05:36:47 PM »
"Salute" has an older meaning than in military parlance. It's not necessarily a gesture of a subordinate to a superior. I think that I've run into it as a synonym for "kiss" in some 19th century writing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.