News:

• February 24, 2018, 08:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2750275 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12480 on: December 09, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »
I've gotten addicted to watching "Say Yes To The Dress" and I've noticed it several times now that during the wedding ceremony, the priest/officiant says "You may now salute your bride" rather than what I'm used to "You may now kiss your bride". Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?
<3

Luci

« Reply #12481 on: December 09, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
I've gotten addicted to watching "Say Yes To The Dress" and I've noticed it several times now that during the wedding ceremony, the priest/officiant says "You may now salute your bride" rather than what I'm used to "You may now kiss your bride". Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?

Were they both in the military with the bride at a higher rank?

Doesn’t matter. I hope not. The kiss could be stated differently, like, "The couple may now kiss," to designate more more of an equality, but I think "salute" really indicates subservience.

oogyda

« Reply #12482 on: December 09, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
A salute is a gesture of respect.  In essence, the groom is showing his bride respect.

In the military it is customary for those of lower rank to salute someone of higher rank first.  However, the higher ranking individual is obligated to return the salute. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

browzer11

« Reply #12483 on: December 09, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »
"Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?".

Never heard of that in my entire life.

Hopefully it's a short lived local fad. Just more silliness.

Luci

« Reply #12484 on: December 10, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
A salute is a gesture of respect.  In essence, the groom is showing his bride respect.

In the military it is customary for those of lower rank to salute someone of higher rank first.  However, the higher ranking individual is obligated to return the salute.

That what I meant...it makes the groom seem lower than the bride.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #12485 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:59 AM »
"Does anyone know where the "salute" instead of kiss came from and how wide spread it is?".

I heard it the first time on 4 Weddings too and tried to do some searches on origin. I didn't find much. But I did find references to the phrase in a book about a pastor in the early 1900's and there is also an old children's rhyme that had the phrase "Salute your bride and kiss her sweet". So not sure if it's an old tradition that has held on in some regions or something that is just coming back in style.

rose red

« Reply #12486 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:28 AM »

I heard it the first time on 4 Weddings too and tried to do some searches on origin. I didn't find much. But I did find references to the phrase in a book about a pastor in the early 1900's and there is also an old children's rhyme that had the phrase "Salute your bride and kiss her sweet". So not sure if it's an old tradition that has held on in some regions or something that is just coming back in style.

I was also surprised there wasn't much about this on the internet. In addition to what you said, a few sites say it's a southern US thing too, but I don't know how accurate that is.

So it's not common, but doesn't seem like a silly fad either. In addition to local tradition, I can actually see this in a time or even a current place where kissing in public is inappropriate but a handshake is too odd for a married couple.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:39:11 AM by rose red »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #12487 on: December 11, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
Sorry! I should have clarified, the couple still kiss like a normal wedding, it's just that right before the kiss where you would normally hear "kiss" you hear the word "salute" then the happy couple kiss like normal.
<3

pattycake

« Reply #12488 on: December 11, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
I think the definition of salute in this context would be, from Merriam Webster

1 a : to address with expressions of kind wishes, courtesy, or honor

b : to give a sign of respect, courtesy, or goodwill to : greet

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12489 on: December 11, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »
I wonder if the word is dubbed in...or do you see the officiant actually say the word salute. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12490 on: December 11, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
"Salute" has an older meaning than in military parlance. It's not necessarily a gesture of a subordinate to a superior. I think that I've run into it as a synonym for "kiss" in some 19th century writing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

DanaJ

« Reply #12491 on: December 13, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »
A couple of years ago we had our system checked to see if it was "balanced" properly.  I'm not sure exactly what "balanced" means but they checked the air coming out of each duct and did some other stuff. 

"Balanced" refers to the airflow being even throughout the house. For example, the air moving through your ducts will take the path of least resistance. So the bedroom that is just straight up above the furnace room with one short, straight length of duct could get more air pressure than the bedroom at the far end of the house if the ductwork is long and has to turn several corners, bascially creating wind resistance. That kind of imbalance means the one bedroom on the straight, short path gets really hot, while the other, fraway room barely warms up. The technician would make make adjustments to baffles in the ducts, to even out the pressure — balancing it out by cutting off some of the air to the hot, close room so that more air can travel to the cool, far room.

Other things that could affect the airlfow would be the location of cold air returns. You want the cold air sucked out so the warm air can fill the space. Like a bus: people have to exit by the back door to make room for people climbing aboard at the front. If no one gets off the bus, eventually the bus gets too full and they won't let on any new passengers. The airflow needs to keep moving a similar way for it to be efficient at either heating or cooling.

Some older houses have aone big, cold air return at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the second floor, but nothing on the second floor itself. That can mean that the air is circulating great on the main floor, but not so great in the back bedrooms upstairs because the air return isn't drawing from the top floor very efficiently.

When we did renovations, we had an extra air return put in upstairs and it makes a huge difference to airflow (both heat and A/C) on the second floor.

jpcher

« Reply #12492 on: December 20, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
For those that watch "Ellen" . . . (or expert googlers ;))

When they play games like "Let it Rain" where they pick audience members to come up on stage and most of them get wet (or pied, or slimed) what happens to the people afterwards? They certainly don't go back into the audience soaking wet. Do they go to a dressing room and disrobe while their clothes are drying? Does Ellen pay for dry cleaning or replacement? Some of the clothes people are wearing look rather nice, like a clip I watched today Ellen said to one of the contestants "Oh, that's a nice jacket. You don't want to get that wet." but the contestant wore it anyway and it, of course, got wet.

I've googled everything that I could think of (not the best googler :-\) so if you come up with an answer please let me know how you found it.

Curious minds want to know!

P.S. If you find an inside view of the "Know or Go" drop box, I'm curious about that as well! ;D

rose red

« Reply #12493 on: December 20, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
For those that watch "Ellen" . . . (or expert googlers ;))

When they play games like "Let it Rain" where they pick audience members to come up on stage and most of them get wet (or pied, or slimed) what happens to the people afterwards? They certainly don't go back into the audience soaking wet. Do they go to a dressing room and disrobe while their clothes are drying? Does Ellen pay for dry cleaning or replacement? Some of the clothes people are wearing look rather nice, like a clip I watched today Ellen said to one of the contestants "Oh, that's a nice jacket. You don't want to get that wet." but the contestant wore it anyway and it, of course, got wet.

I've googled everything that I could think of (not the best googler :-\) so if you come up with an answer please let me know how you found it.

Curious minds want to know!

P.S. If you find an inside view of the "Know or Go" drop box, I'm curious about that as well! ;D

I don't know, but I imagine the audience know there's a chance they'll get picked (or even know for sure ahead of time) and will get their clothes ruined. I'm sure they can opt out of being picked or must sign a waiver. I wouldn't be surprised if they can shower and get cleaned up back stage, but I bet the show doesn't pay for dry cleaning.

But again, I don't know.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12494 on: December 20, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
My guess would be that they get a free t-shirt with the show logo, and a backstage area they can dry off and/or change.