News:

• February 20, 2018, 11:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2740716 times)

guihong

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12495 on: December 29, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
Here's an appropriate one :D!  Is Sunday night "New Years' Eve 2018" or "NYE 2017"?  Is NYE named for the year going out, or the new one coming in?  I hope that even made sense.

gramma dishes

« Reply #12496 on: December 29, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
Here's an appropriate one :D!  Is Sunday night "New Years' Eve 2018" or "NYE 2017"?  Is NYE named for the year going out, or the new one coming in?  I hope that even made sense.

Well I don't know, but all the restaurants and other venues are calling it 'New Years Eve 2018'. 

DanaJ

« Reply #12497 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »

New Year's Eve is December 31 of the current year. So Sunday is New Year's Eve 2017. Monday is New Year's Day 2018.

Edit: If people just say "New Year's!" without clarifying whether either "eve" or "day", I would be slighlty more inclined to use 2018 because it's referring to rining in the new year. But for editing and proofreading, we usually ask our writers to be more specific. A lot of club venues here are saying NYE 2018, they are technically incorrect. Most other venues, like hotels that are hosting big galas, are calling it NYE 2017/2018.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:19:45 PM by DanaJ »

Luci

« Reply #12498 on: December 29, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
 It is the eve before the new year 2018. Christmas Eve is the eve before Christmas.

gramma dishes

« Reply #12499 on: December 29, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
It is the eve before the new year 2018. Christmas Eve is the eve before Christmas.

Yes.  I think this is how they figure it.

jpcher

« Reply #12500 on: January 05, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
Once beer is frozen, is it still good when it thaws out?

I have a cooler of about 18-20 bottles of beer that I forgot about. It's been sitting in sub-freezing (>15F) for about two weeks. Wondering if I should toss it or is it still good to drink?

Luci

« Reply #12501 on: January 05, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »

I have a cooler of about 18-20 bottles of beer that I forgot about. It's been sitting in sub-freezing (>15F) for about two weeks. Wondering if I should toss it or is it still good to drink?

Try it. Itís not dangerous. I think it goes flat faster.

Sebastienne

« Reply #12502 on: January 05, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »

Try it. Itís not dangerous. I think it goes flat faster.

If it didn't explode, that's a great sign. The carbonation is probably going to be pretty janky and it may taste a little off, but it won't hurt you.

JoW

« Reply #12503 on: January 07, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »

Let it thaw completely in the refrigerator.  Pure water freezes at a higher temperature than does an alcohol-water mixture.  If you were to accidentally drink a half-frozen beer all or nearly all of the alcohol would be in the liquid you drink, not in the ice left in the bottle. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #12504 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »

2)  It seems to me that, since no power is being consumed during the outage, that getting the house back to the prior temp after the power comes back on should be pretty much a wash vs. power consumption if there'd been no interruption ... or is the neighbor right that there would be a significant up-tick in usage that would make a measurable difference in the power bill?

Whether it takes more power to heat it up /vs running the whole time can depend on how cold the 'heat sinks' in your house get in the interim.

At my old house, we had this big dense couch and some heavier furniture - if the power outage lasted too long and those furniture pieces got cold, when the heat came back on, it would run much more than normal for a couple of days until the furniture got back up to room temperature.  And there would be a small jump in the bill.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12505 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »

2)  It seems to me that, since no power is being consumed during the outage, that getting the house back to the prior temp after the power comes back on should be pretty much a wash vs. power consumption if there'd been no interruption ... or is the neighbor right that there would be a significant up-tick in usage that would make a measurable difference in the power bill?

Whether it takes more power to heat it up /vs running the whole time can depend on how cold the 'heat sinks' in your house get in the interim.

At my old house, we had this big dense couch and some heavier furniture - if the power outage lasted too long and those furniture pieces got cold, when the heat came back on, it would run much more than normal for a couple of days until the furniture got back up to room temperature.  And there would be a small jump in the bill.

Yes. It takes a lot more energy to heat a house from, say, 50 degrees to 68 over the course of an hour than it does to maintain 68 degrees over the course of three or four. As noted, a lot depends on how much heat your house "leaks" while being kept at temperature. If the heater has to come on every 2-3 minutes to keep things at 68, there's a bigger problem to be addressed.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #12506 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:25 AM »
What do you do when the gym you belong to closes? Do you get a refund, just no more monthly charges, or something else?

We used to belong to Gold's Gym, which had a resurgence in the area, but they have now closed. I have been noticing quite a few 24/7 Fitness and Anytime Fitness locations closing in my area.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12507 on: January 10, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
If you have automatic billing with them, contact your bank directly and cancel the authorization.  Many gyms don't turn that off automatically and it's darn near impossible to get that money back once you've paid it. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12508 on: January 20, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
Okay, this is my stupid question that has been driving me rather insane...

In figure skating, why are men's skates always black and women's skates always either nude or white? It doesn't seem to matter what color the costumes are, this is how I've always recalled seeing them.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #12509 on: January 20, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
Okay, this is my stupid question that has been driving me rather insane...

In figure skating, why are men's skates always black and women's skates always either nude or white? It doesn't seem to matter what color the costumes are, this is how I've always recalled seeing them.

The short answer would seem to be ďbecause traditionĒ, also I *think* the nude colour is actually skating tights pulled down over the skate rather than an actual nude coloured skate (I may be wrong there, but Iím sure Iíve seen that sort of configuration!)

The longer answer is it would appear to go back to the 1920s and a particularly successful female figure skater who set the trend for women wearing white boots and short skirts:
https://www.thoughtco.com/girls-and-boys-figure-skates-1281767

Itís certainly something that was well established by the late 40s - thereís a Noel Streatfeild novel that was published in 1951 by the title of White Boots which is about two young girls learning to figure skate.