News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2916872 times)

pattycake

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12600 on: March 15, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
it's not as vile as cilantro, but I sure don't want arugula in my salads. Do you find cilantro awful too? I just wonder if it's the same sort of thing - you either like it a lot or you really hate it. Cilantro I would call the most vile herb! I do like tarragon though. It's funny how different things are good or bad to different people.

Indeed! I love cilantro (we call it coriander over here, which can lead to confusion between the fresh leaf and the dried seed), and am very fond of arugula (which we call rocket) too.

I can see how that would be confusing, because I think coriander is okay. Cilantro, before I knew what it was and that it was in one of the dishes that was ordered, ruined an East Indian restaurant experience for me! Everyone else liked it, and I wanted to spit it all out! The rest of the meal was okay, but the cilantro ruined it all because that was then all I could taste.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #12601 on: March 15, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Here we call it coriander and I love it. Recently a Mexican restraint took it out of their rice and people complained. They said you can always add it. Augulera I think is called rocket here and it’s a common garnish and in salads.

Also here is a good guide to the difference between a herb and a spice:

Herb: Uses leaves and stems of a plant
Spice: uses everything else like seeds, roots and bark

This is why coriander is both a herb and a spice. You use both the seeds and leaves.

metallicafan

« Reply #12602 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
I have the gene for cilantro to taste like soap - spicy soap - I wouldn't mind a kitchen cleaning solution that smelled like it, but eating it is never going to be something that I enjoy.  VorGuy loves Mexican foods with cilantro - the more the better he likes the taste.  I finally threatened to start adding a few drops of dish detergent to the food then next time he brought home something for "us" when it was from one of the cilantro heavy restaurants.  Just so he'd know what it already tasted like to me.

I don't like fennel or licorice - and arugula makes my mouth itch - so does dill.  I might have to consult a botanist to find out if those four plants are at all related...being mildly allergic to dill & arugula got me to wondering if they were related and now I'm wondering about the other two.

Fennel and licorice don't make me itchy or taste "off" - I just don't feel like they taste good.  Perhaps it was some licorice flavored medicine as a child that gave me the distaste for that flavor?

I LOVE cilantro.  I once made a cream of cilantro soup.  I love tons of it in my salsa.
I despise black licorice, and I don't like fennel.

gmatoy

« Reply #12603 on: March 20, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
Cilantro tastes like soap to me and, according to an article I read, 10% of Americans taste it the way I do. The article also said that most of us are of European descent. I can usually get by with some in salsa, but not in anything that has sat for any length of time. I once got Pho (soup) and it was fine. I took the leftovers home and the next day, I had to throw it out! I also don't like licorice.

GardenGal

« Reply #12604 on: March 20, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »
Cilantro tastes like soap to me ...
  I find that certain kinds of bleu cheese taste like soap to me, while some are just fine and, in small doses, Stilton cheese is lovely. 
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12605 on: March 20, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
I have a problem with turnips and radishes - both are intolerably spicy to me. Even when they're not varieties with any sort of bite to them. I wonder if there's a gene for that. :)
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Luci

« Reply #12606 on: March 20, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Different subject-

I pay all of my bills online. The bank can do a money transfer with certain of my billers, but not with others, for whom they strike a real check and mail it. I can even just put in my birthday checks to individuals and they’ll mail it.  How can they afford to do that? I saved $1.60 today in postage, I don’t know how much a month or year, but I know at some point it’s not 'pocket change."

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #12607 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »
I have a problem with turnips and radishes - both are intolerably spicy to me. Even when they're not varieties with any sort of bite to them. I wonder if there's a gene for that. :)

Radishes are really bitter to me.  Turnips look like big radishes, so I don't know that I've ever tried one on purpose.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #12608 on: March 20, 2018, 06:09:18 PM »
Different subject-

I pay all of my bills online. The bank can do a money transfer with certain of my billers, but not with others, for whom they strike a real check and mail it. I can even just put in my birthday checks to individuals and they’ll mail it.  How can they afford to do that? I saved $1.60 today in postage, I don’t know how much a month or year, but I know at some point it’s not 'pocket change."

Businesses that do a lot of mailing get bulk deals with the post office; instead of sticking actual stamps on envelopes and paying full price, they can run all their mail through a ‘franking machine’ and send it out at a huge discount.

It still adds up to a lot, but they can afford it because they build that cost into account fees and/or take it into account when they’re working out what interest rates to offer and charge.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

kckgirl

« Reply #12609 on: March 20, 2018, 06:19:10 PM »
Different subject-

Businesses that do a lot of mailing get bulk deals with the post office; instead of sticking actual stamps on envelopes and paying full price, they can run all their mail through a ‘franking machine’ and send it out at a huge discount.

It still adds up to a lot, but they can afford it because they build that cost into account fees and/or take it into account when they’re working out what interest rates to offer and charge.

That makes sense. My credit cards pay me to use them. In the last four years, one has paid me almost $1200 in cash to use it. They must pay me with the interest they collect from those who carry a balance from month to month.
Maryland

Luci

« Reply #12610 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Different subject-

That makes sense. My credit cards pay me to use them. In the last four years, one has paid me almost $1200 in cash to use it. They must pay me with the interest they collect from those who carry a balance from month to month.

Thanks. I still get free checks, even in small town whe I did a lot less online so wrote more checks. I get no interest on one accounr and 1.5% on Money Market account. Remember when we had to pay $.10 for every check we wrote even in the '60s?

Don’t credit cards charge the retailer for each use? That's why we don’t use them at museums and other nonprofits. Of course interest paid is huge.

kckgirl

« Reply #12611 on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
Remember when we had to pay $.10 for every check we wrote even in the '60s?

When I was around 11 or 12 years old, my parents started teaching me how to use a checking account by having me make entries in their check register and helping reconcile the statement. When recording checks, they always added the $.10 for each check as they used them. Some banks still charge service fees for checking accounts, but I won't use them.
Maryland

Lulubelle

« Reply #12612 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »
I was watching This Is Us, and I was curious about something on the show. When Kate goes to the fancy weight loss camp, she goes to an exercise class with people drumming.  Is this a real thing?  Do people exercise with drumsticks?  Has anyone done it?  It looked pretty fun.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #12613 on: March 22, 2018, 05:44:56 AM »
I was watching This Is Us, and I was curious about something on the show. When Kate goes to the fancy weight loss camp, she goes to an exercise class with people drumming.  Is this a real thing?  Do people exercise with drumsticks?  Has anyone done it?  It looked pretty fun.
One of it's names is "Pound", but I've seen it under a different name at my gym (I just can't remember the name now).
<3

DragonKitty

• YOU'RE.. MAKING.. ME.. BEAT.. UP.. GRASS! - Rocket
« Reply #12614 on: March 23, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
Ok, my stupid question is:  What does champaign taste like to most people??

I have heard "champaign tastes great"  "champaign is yummy", but the three times I was given a glass, it tasted kind of like a beer that has gone 'off'.  These were at weddings and engagement party, so I am assuming that they bought good stuff.

Or maybe it is similar to cilantro, which tastes like soap to me?