Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 841324 times)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
dicky ticker

Ummmm......WHAT?!

;)

dodgy heart
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Anyanka

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
Re: Aunt Flo- According to the world of Ayla, leather thongs and mouflon wool were used. She hasn't invented the tampon yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon. :)

Before or after she invents the internal combustion engine?
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:14 PM »
Re: Aunt Flo- According to the world of Ayla, leather thongs and mouflon wool were used. She hasn't invented the tampon yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon. :)

Before or after she invents the internal combustion engine?

LOL :D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »
dicky ticker

Ummmm......WHAT?!

;)

dodgy heart

I knew what she meant. I was just joking (hence the smiley).

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
dicky ticker

Ummmm......WHAT?!

;)

dodgy heart

I knew what she meant. I was just joking (hence the smiley).

Tease!

Cyradis

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
^ and don't forget the drop bears ;D

and the hoop snakes!   ;D

The urbanised parts of Australia are pretty tame - the occasional redback spider or poisonous snake, and as anna_garny said, we're taught from a young age to not touch.

Crocs can be a problem up in the tropical north, particularly with the recent floods - they're tending to move out of their normal range.  Crocs are usually territorial, and stay in the same area for decades.

Irukandji jellyfish are a problem up north too - tiny little jellyfish with a deadly sting.

Huntsman spiders are big, hairy and ugly - and, unless you're arachnophobic with a dicky ticker, essentially harmless.

Probably the most dangerous creature here is the average car driver...   :o

You forgot curious emus  :o I saw one sort of menace a few rugby player sized guys at a wildlife park. And there are large lizards that stand motionless until you trip over them.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
Is it really so dangerous to live in Australia? I have friends from there who I'm sure are trying to scare me when they talk about spiders and snakes, crocodiles and sharks etc etc etc and that I shouldn't come over because so many people aren't prepared and die.

But it doesn't seem to be in the news that all these naive tourists are dying over there so I think they're making it up!

Its perfectly safe - watch this instructional video its very reassuring*  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

*not reassuring at all - contains bugs, snakes & spiders.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:27 PM »
Is it really so dangerous to live in Australia? I have friends from there who I'm sure are trying to scare me when they talk about spiders and snakes, crocodiles and sharks etc etc etc and that I shouldn't come over because so many people aren't prepared and die.

But it doesn't seem to be in the news that all these naive tourists are dying over there so I think they're making it up!

Its perfectly safe - watch this instructional video its very reassuring*  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

*not reassuring at all - contains bugs, snakes & spiders.

Beat me to it!  I was just about to post this.  I love this song, and I am going to the Scared Weird Little Guys Thursday night!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:59 PM »
"Come to Australia, you might accidentally get killed." :o I don't think they're joking. :P

They forgot to mention the drop bears, though. :D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Iris

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »

Yes, it is the national joke. Not very funny, but what the hey...

There are some very real dangers to tourists in Australia but as mentioned previously it's mostly due to ignorance. An example would be that our brilliant surf life savers pull many many tourists from the water each year to save them from drowning because they don't know to swim between the flags and head off to the part of the beach where there are no swimmers and the water looks smooth - straight into a rip. Even then, many Australians know to swim across a rip, not fight it, and tourists don't.

But I guess any country has its dangers that locals know how to minimise. I met US citizens who lived somewhere where bears used to get into their garbage bins. I was horrified that they so calmly talked about porential killers going through their bins!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »
^We also have mountain lions come down basically to our university's campus. :D All it warrants is a public safety email.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Namárië

« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2011, 01:26:40 AM »
Second question-why do restaurant garden and chef salads always taste better than my own salads? Same ingredients, but I scarf those and occasionally only pick at mine-and don't make them daily.

I'm betting that restaurants have access to tastier/fresher produce. Or maybe exposure to the ingredients desensitizes you to them, so they don't taste quite as good. Or maybe it's just that you didn't have to put in the effort to prepare it! ;)
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »
^ and don't forget the drop bears ;D

and the hoop snakes!   ;D

The urbanised parts of Australia are pretty tame - the occasional redback spider or poisonous snake, and as anna_garny said, we're taught from a young age to not touch.

Crocs can be a problem up in the tropical north, particularly with the recent floods - they're tending to move out of their normal range.  Crocs are usually territorial, and stay in the same area for decades.

Irukandji jellyfish are a problem up north too - tiny little jellyfish with a deadly sting.

Huntsman spiders are big, hairy and ugly - and, unless you're arachnophobic with a dicky ticker, essentially harmless.

Probably the most dangerous creature here is the average car driver...   :o

You forgot curious emus  :o I saw one sort of menace a few rugby player sized guys at a wildlife park. And there are large lizards that stand motionless until you trip over them.

im not too worried about emus

theres an emu farm a few km's from where i live. they do emu pies there

StarFaerie

« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
If Australia were all that dangerous none of us would survive very long. For example, We do have the world's most venomous snakes but very few people die from their bites because they are shy, mostly live in rural areas and we have good antivenoms. The same goes for spiders and in fact the only really dangerous spider is the Sydney Funnel Web. Even red backs are only dangerous to the very old and young. The rest are just huge, not dangerous.

It's part of our sense of humour. We love to tease.

Iris

« Reply #179 on: March 01, 2011, 05:01:30 AM »
While watching Telly tonight, the chaps on top gear were talking about saluting magpies. I have no idea why you would salute a magpie. Can anyone enlighten me?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.