Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1081465 times)

Iris

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
It's bad luck to see a single magpie and saluting it takes away the bad luck

I don't know how or why that's meant to work. You only salute magpies which are alone though - I think it's part of the one for sorrow rhyme

Thank you. We have completely different birds called magpies and we don't salute them. You ignore them or, in nesting season, duck.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Anyanka

« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:51 PM »
Is it really so dangerous to live in Australia? I have friends from there who I'm sure are trying to scare me when they talk about spiders and snakes, crocodiles and sharks etc etc etc and that I shouldn't come over because so many people aren't prepared and die.

But it doesn't seem to be in the news that all these naive tourists are dying over there so I think they're making it up!

Its perfectly safe - watch this instructional video its very reassuring*  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

*not reassuring at all - contains bugs, snakes & spiders.

*snort* Thanks for that!
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
That was cute. Now I have to do some research to find what the threatening platypus can do to one - I thought they were hard to find and if you did, they will ignore you if you ignore them.

Of course, I have heard about the deadly Vegemite, too.

NutMeg

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
I know this one!

Let's say the car skids to the right, the means the car is going right but the wheels are still angled the way you originally had them. If you steer left, you're forcing the wheels in the opposite direction to the momentum of the car so while you *might* be able to turn the front end left the back end will then swing round risking that you will spin in the road.

If you steer *into* the skid, turning the wheels right, your wheels are then pointing the same direction as the car and you can hopefully regain traction on the ground and steer it gently back to straight again.

I hope I got that right!

I like to think of it as when you're training a dog, you wait until he looks like he's going to sit, and then say sit and praise him. The car wants to go one way, you turn the wheels the same direction and pretend you wanted it to happen. :P
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
That was cute. Now I have to do some research to find what the threatening platypus can do to one - I thought they were hard to find and if you did, they will ignore you if you ignore them.

Venomous spines.
NE England

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
Back in the days of yore when meats were often covered with sauces to disguise the fact they were more than a bit 'off', folks chewed mint leaves to help with the inevitable gastric revolt that followed.
Sorry, but that isn't the case at all.  Modern people, unused to eating spiced sauces on meats (about the only remnant is the cloves on hams) have invented the "hide the taste" theory because the use of such spices seems so odd to them, without realizing that in the medieval period people just didn't try to keep fresh meat around for very long.  

If you were of a class that ate meat regularly, like the nobility, most of your meat came from market on its own two/four feet.  It was killed on-site and cooked immediately.  Wild game was also fresh-killed.  Most meat recipes of the time say "Take fayre fressh beef" or something similar.  Similarly, sauces were highly spiced, but NOT as a way to hide off tastes.  Most of the spices that are common now -- cinnamon, pepper, cloves, etc. -- were quite literally worth their weight in gold, because they came from so far away.  If you wanted a pound of peppercorns, the merchant put it on his balance scale and you put on gold coins until the scales balanced.  Spiced sauces and meats were a form of "conspicuous consumption" -- "I, Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, can afford for my meat pies to have cinnamon AND cloves AND pepper."  No cook worth his salt would try to feed his lord on rotting meats, with the taste hidden under spices!

If you were lower on the scale, a middle-class merchant, for instance, you bought your meat at the butcher shop, where again it had been killed only a few hours ago.  And you took it home and cooked it that day. Your meat was seasoned with salt and fresh garden herbs, rather than expensive spices. You didn't eat meat every day.   Leftover meats were repurposed into meat pies and soups; keeping a soup simmering on the hearth was easier than trying to keep leftover meats cold!

If you were a farmer, you rarely tasted fresh meat.  Only in the autumn, when animals like steers and pigs were slaughtered, did you get fresh red meat, and that only for one or two meals.  The rest of the meat was salted down and/or cured and /or smoked and/or dried, to be eaten later.  A number of extant period recipes start off by telling you to soak or boil your dried, salted meat in water, then throw the now-salty water away.

Even poultry was too valuable to poorer people to slaughter often for meat.  As Tevye says, "If a poor man eats a chicken, one of them is sick!"

For more on medieval and Renaissance cookery, see http://www.godecookery.com/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:14:24 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
I know this one!

Let's say the car skids to the right, the means the car is going right but the wheels are still angled the way you originally had them. If you steer left, you're forcing the wheels in the opposite direction to the momentum of the car so while you *might* be able to turn the front end left the back end will then swing round risking that you will spin in the road.

If you steer *into* the skid, turning the wheels right, your wheels are then pointing the same direction as the car and you can hopefully regain traction on the ground and steer it gently back to straight again.

I hope I got that right!

I like to think of it as when you're training a dog, you wait until he looks like he's going to sit, and then say sit and praise him. The car wants to go one way, you turn the wheels the same direction and pretend you wanted it to happen. :P

Nutmeg, that is BRILLIANT!

Nora

« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:38 PM »
Thank you, Elfmama. I enjoyed that a lot!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

Venomous spines.

Thanks. So much for my having a pet playpus. Darn! Yes, I know we cannot reproduce the environment for him to live here.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
An emu stole my Aunt's icecream when she was little. :(
Emus get VERY enthusiastic.

Coincidentally, a moose once bit my sister...

No, realli!   ;D

Elfmama, thank you for posting that -- I was just about to jump in.  That's my particular pet soapbox as well, and you explained it beautifully!  :)  I really wish that all the culinary "bibles" would stop republishing that myth.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Me three Elfmama

spice was EXPENSIVE  why would they cover tainted meat with it?

I think a lot of times we see a "masive" (to us) use of spice and forget that either the dish being made was HUGE -- or -- the spice had almost no flaver due to the length of time it had to travel to Europe -- sooooo, you had to use more of it.

and some spice use is just plain strange to the modern pallet (like cloves in **chicken?**)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »

Elfmama, thank you for posting that -- I was just about to jump in.  That's my particular pet soapbox as well, and you explained it beautifully!  :)  I really wish that all the culinary "bibles" would stop republishing that myth.
This is about spices to cover the taste of old meat:

What Elfmama said makes a lot of sense.

Does that cover the use of chili peppers to cover the taste of old beef in Texas/Mexico during trail rides and hence the creation of our chili soupy stuff that I love?  I know that the cowboys couldn't just grab one of the animals for supper everyday, so that all seemed plausible to me. I know that the original chili, according to legend, did not have beans or tomatoes in it, or so is what my searching tells me.

Thanks. Luci

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »
Cinnamon in venison stew. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Cinnamon in venison stew. 

Hides the taste of oak if that's what they have been eating..............

works for squirrel, too. At least that's what my dad & mom said.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »
I know that the cowboys couldn't just grab one of the animals for supper everyday, so that all seemed plausible to me.

(along with others talking about this subject)

But isn't that where beef jerky comes from?

I guess I always assumed that what meat wasn't eaten before it was spoiled, was "jerked" or preserved in a drying process so that it could safely be eaten later.

? ;D