Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 975580 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »
There's that saying about rats leaving a sinking ship - does that say more about the ship or about the rats?

I mean, does it mean that the metaphorical "ship" is going down or that the people leaving it are rats?

Regarding menstruation:
I read that in ancient Egypt the tampon was debuted when high-class women began sticking bits of cotton inside.
There is that book "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant - the title references the tent that women were confined to during their period.
IIRC, they would sit on straw mats which were later burned.

Earle Griswold invented modern day Tampax.

http://www.tampax.com/en-US/aboutTampax/aboutTampax.aspx

His son taught art at my college and was an amazing, interesting person.  He (the son) is in his late 70's now.

My question is when using those disposable toilet seat covers, which way does the flap go?

And why do they never refill the dispensers (of the above) after the initial batch is gone? ???

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

My question is when using those disposable toilet seat covers, which way does the flap go?

And why do they never refill the dispensers (of the above) after the initial batch is gone? ???

The seat cover flap goes to the back and down so that the major flow of flushing water will catch it and sweep it away.

The cleaning people are supposed to refill the dispensers when they refill the toilet paper rolls and empty the sanitary boxes and replace those bags  as they are doing regular cleaning.

If there is a probem with no seat covers, one is supposed to report it to whomever one reports other toilet problems.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
Ok, if Carnation is going to ask that question, I'm going to ask mine (this one is kinda embarrassing, but since we're on the topic!).

Can anyone else not use those disposable seat covers because they stick to the back of your legs and are worse than just sitting on the seat as is?  Or, is that just me?  Is there a way to not have that happen?  I end up with part of the cover in the toilet getting wet and then standing up and having icky water drip all over the floor and my feet, because the dang cover is stuck to my butt.

Kaypeep

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »

The seat cover flap goes to the back and down so that the major flow of flushing water will catch it and sweep it away.

I disagree. According to the diagram attached to the seat cover dispenser in my office restroom, the flap goes in the front. I'm guessing this is because the seat is not always a solid ring, so the flap covers the open area better and catch droplets from getting on the rim of the bowl in the front.  It also seems to me that the cover stays on the seat better when the flap is in the front.  When it's in the back, the flap would get wet and start to be pulled into the toilet before I could even sit on it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Ok, if Carnation is going to ask that question, I'm going to ask mine (this one is kinda embarrassing, but since we're on the topic!).

Can anyone else not use those disposable seat covers because they stick to the back of your legs and are worse than just sitting on the seat as is?  Or, is that just me?  Is there a way to not have that happen?  I end up with part of the cover in the toilet getting wet and then standing up and having icky water drip all over the floor and my feet, because the dang cover is stuck to my butt.

Totally with you!  I would rather just wipe the seat off with toilet paper and hope for the best. :)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »

I disagree. According to the diagram attached to the seat cover dispenser in my office restroom, the flap goes in the front. I'm guessing this is because the seat is not always a solid ring, so the flap covers the open area better and catch droplets from getting on the rim of the bowl in the front.  It also seems to me that the cover stays on the seat better when the flap is in the front.  When it's in the back, the flap would get wet and start to be pulled into the toilet before I could even sit on it.

I must confess, that's how I've been using it.

Thank you!

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »

No, I'm sorry, I think it's a law of the universe that those will ever be more trouble than they are worth ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
I feel better that I'm not alone, at least!

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
I feel better that I'm not alone, at least!

Definitely not alone.

I just hope for the best and assume I've been exposed to so many germs, hopefully my immune system is in overdrive. ;D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:28 PM »
Mandy Patinkin

Say his name. Is it Pat-eenk-kin? Pat-tin-kin? Pah-teenk-kin? Something else?

Where's the accent? Where's the emphasis?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »

I've always assumed "back", and I don't think that I've ever seen a diagram on a dispenser.

Maybe this will end up like the Ann Landers toilet-paper-roll controversy? :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
There's no controversy. It's over the top. Period. That's it. End of discussion.

;)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
^ Ahahahaha!!! ;D

Mandy Patinkin

Now that you mention it, this. This is my question too.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

katycoo

« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »
^ Ahahahaha!!! ;D

Mandy Patinkin

Now that you mention it, this. This is my question too.

I say Pat-tin-kin.  dunno how Mandy says it though!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
Kam, where are you putting the emphasis? On the Pat? On the Tin? On the Kin?