Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842876 times)

Redsoil

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5685 on: September 07, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Rose Red (I'm ex-library going back some years now).  We never had any issue with people returning books quickly - in fact, it's a good thing!  That way, other people can borrow the books and turnover is better.  Especially good if they are popular books!  Feel free to return the same day if need be, and borrow more.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

BC12

« Reply #5686 on: September 08, 2012, 05:16:35 AM »
How do I label the gift tag for a baby shower gift? "To: Baby" or "To: Mother"?

Also, it's not rude to skip a baby shower, is it? The pregnant couple are in-laws of my in-laws, and we only see them around three times a year and don't have much of a relationship with them. It is sort of family, though, so I kind of feel bad for skipping it. I'm just really uncomfortable attending these things and have come up with several good (to me) reasons not to go: text message invite, second baby, we've never been invited to any of their other events (except for their first baby's shower, which we did attend,) we don't even exchange Christmas gifts, rarely talk when we do see each other.

So, am I fine to just send a gift? That shouldn't cause any resentment, should it?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:18:19 AM by BC12 »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5687 on: September 08, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »

To "mother". The present might be for Baby but you can't give a present to someone who doesn't technically exist yet.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5688 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:04 AM »

Also, it's not rude to skip a baby shower, is it? The pregnant couple are in-laws of my in-laws, and we only see them around three times a year and don't have much of a relationship with them. It is sort of family, though, so I kind of feel bad for skipping it. I'm just really uncomfortable attending these things and have come up with several good (to me) reasons not to go: text message invite, second baby, we've never been invited to any of their other events (except for their first baby's shower, which we did attend,) we don't even exchange Christmas gifts, rarely talk when we do see each other.

So, am I fine to just send a gift? That shouldn't cause any resentment, should it?

Before the baby is born, label the gift to mom. After, if the card says something like, "congratulations on your new bundle," I lable it to the parents. If the card says, "Welcome, Little one," lable to baby.

An invitation is not a summons, to reiterate what has been said on eHell dozens of times.

Why do you even feel compelled to send a gift if you don't feel like it? The only reason I can see is because of family politics, which I don't bend to anyway.

I don't send a gift unless I want to, and even then not until the baby is born, except in the case of my own grandchildren where It was to help set up the nursery and layette.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5689 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »

To "mother". The present might be for Baby but you can't give a present to someone who doesn't technically exist yet.

I usually label them as To Baby (either by name if I know it, or "Baby Lastname" if I don't). I figure it's a gift for them. I've seen people do it both ways, though, so just do it however you prefer.

Or honestly, you could just put "from BC12" with no "to" field. Everyone knows who it's for at a baby shower! :)

Betelnut

« Reply #5690 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
How do you post a vertical picture in Facebook?  My daughter just learned to tie her shoes and the incentive was a high-top pair of sneakers (lots of lace!)  When I tried to post a picture of her wearing the shoes on Facebook, the picture was truncated into a square picture--you couldn't see the sneakers at all!
I ended up deleting the picture and comment because it just didn't make sense without being able to see the shoes.

Suggestions?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5691 on: September 08, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
How do you post a vertical picture in Facebook?  My daughter just learned to tie her shoes and the incentive was a high-top pair of sneakers (lots of lace!)  When I tried to post a picture of her wearing the shoes on Facebook, the picture was truncated into a square picture--you couldn't see the sneakers at all!
I ended up deleting the picture and comment because it just didn't make sense without being able to see the shoes.

Suggestions?

My experience is that pictures only truncate on the newsfeed or front page of your profile.  Sort of like a thumbnail.  If you click on the photo and view it in an album, you will see the entire picture.

Betelnut

« Reply #5692 on: September 08, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »

Suggestions?

My experience is that pictures only truncate on the newsfeed or front page of your profile.  Sort of like a thumbnail.  If you click on the photo and view it in an album, you will see the entire picture.

That's where I wanted to post it--on my front page.  Hmmm...

BC12

« Reply #5693 on: September 08, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
Thanks for the answers to my baby shower questions. (Yes, it's family politics and also I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.)

Suggestions?

If it's posting as a thumbnail image on your front page, can you just add a note that says, "Click the picture to see her new shoes!"

Betelnut

« Reply #5694 on: September 08, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
Thanks for the answers to my baby shower questions. (Yes, it's family politics and also I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.)

Suggestions?

If it's posting as a thumbnail image on your front page, can you just add a note that says, "Click the picture to see her new shoes!"

Oh, that's a good idea!  I'll try and report back...

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #5695 on: September 10, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
I notice a lot of people here commenting on something being British. My question is, if you are British do you identify as that or rather English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh? My husband is Scottish and I don't think he thinks of himself as a Brit, but as a Scot. (and now an Aussie).

Victoria

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5696 on: September 10, 2012, 05:00:51 AM »
I notice a lot of people here commenting on something being British. My question is, if you are British do you identify as that or rather English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh? My husband is Scottish and I don't think he thinks of himself as a Brit, but as a Scot. (and now an Aussie).

I identify as British because I have both English and Welsh grandparents.  Plus the cross of St George has been hijacked by unpleasant political groups that scare me a lot - frankly, I'd rather be just Welsh. :(

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5697 on: September 10, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »

I identify as British because I have both English and Welsh grandparents.  Plus the cross of St George has been hijacked by unpleasant political groups that scare me a lot - frankly, I'd rather be just Welsh. :(

In the US some groups I suspect are similar have taken the Celtic Cross as their symbol. Ironic since they don't consider Celts to be human.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Betelnut

« Reply #5698 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

Suggestions?

Oh, that's a good idea!  I'll try and report back...

It worked--thanks everyone!

pwy a wyr

« Reply #5699 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
...what is this and what would you call it? Trying to sell it online but haven't got a clue how to describe it!