Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1059193 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5700 on: September 11, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
pwy a wyr wrote:

"what is this and what would you call it?"

It's an etched glass display tray.  It's made to put under a lamp or candle to spread the light around better, or to put a glass decoration or vase on it to give the decoration/flowers an extra dimension.  Sia is a very high end home decor company, and a lot of their stuff is very artsy like that tray.

Virg

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5701 on: September 11, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Where does the term "latchkey kid" come from?  Why "latchkey"?

Aside from general civility, do we all get along on this forum because we all watch the same TV shows, read the same web sites and comics?  I've noticed a lot of similarities from other peoples' posts.

Frog

I have noticed that, too :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Isometric

« Reply #5702 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
I didn't want to start a whole new thread in the knowledge exchange folder, so I hope it's ok to put it here.

When posters mention the food and drink they're supplying for a party, I see "Iced Tea" a bit.
The iced tea we have here (Aust) is brown, and very sweet - it really doesn't taste like cold black tea at all. Is that the case in the US? Or is it a packet mix? Just cold black tea?

Also, when we were in Hawaii, DH asked at a cafe for a "iced coffee" - and got chilled black coffee with iced cubes. Is this usual? Ice/d Coffee here is a milk drink mildly flavoured with coffee, sold in cartons, or, at a cafe you'd get a fancy glass, with maybe some ice cream/cream on top.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #5703 on: September 11, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
In the south, iced tea is strong black tea, chilled. Sweet tea is the same, with lots of sugar.  I have only seen iced coffee as, well, coffee on ice.  The other drink you describe sounds like a dessert. 
Not such a newbie anymore

Bluenomi

« Reply #5704 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »
I notice a lot of people here commenting on something being British. My question is, if you are British do you identify as that or rather English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh? My husband is Scottish and I don't think he thinks of himself as a Brit, but as a Scot. (and now an Aussie).

DH is an Scottish Aussie as well as are his parents and they think of themselves at Scottish. All his Scottish relatives think of themselves as Scottish and if you accidently call them British or English you get corrected and given death stares. Any Northern Irish person I've met is the same.

My English relatives are perfectly happy to be called either British, English or Poms  ;D

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5705 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
We went to a Japanese "steakhouse" tonight for DD's birthday :).  This was the kind of place where several parties of people sit around a hibachi, and the chef puts on a "show" with flying knives, chopping and tossing food around, and setting fires.  The food was good, but the main draw of the place is the preparation.  How authentic is the "show" in Japan, or is it purely theater?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5706 on: September 12, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »
When posters mention the food and drink they're supplying for a party, I see "Iced Tea" a bit.
The iced tea we have here (Aust) is brown, and very sweet - it really doesn't taste like cold black tea at all. Is that the case in the US? Or is it a packet mix? Just cold black tea?
Yes to all of the above, depending on the area and the person drinking it.  *I* prefer cold black tea, unsweetened.  DH prefers cold black tea with a couple of teaspoons of sugar. My Oklahoma kinfolk prefer sweet tea - boil a gallon of water, dissolve two cups of sugar into it, and add 8 teabags.  Refrigerate this tea-flavored syrup after cooling and serve over ice.  There are also packet mixes, which are also sweetened but not as much as sweet tea, and most grocery stores will also have sweetened iced tea or sweet tea in gallon jugs. The packet mixes usually also have lemonish flavoring.  You can also get sweetened iced tea in 12 ounce cans or 20 ounce bottles, like Coke.  There is no real consistency about what you get in a restaurant.  Better ask first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Isometric

« Reply #5707 on: September 12, 2012, 01:22:48 AM »
Thanks NewbiePA and Elfmama!

It sounds like the iced tea I'm familiar with is more like "sweet tea". It often does come flavoured - peach or lemon usually.

pwy a wyr

« Reply #5708 on: September 12, 2012, 01:28:46 AM »
pwy a wyr wrote:

"what is this and what would you call it?"

It's an etched glass display tray.  It's made to put under a lamp or candle to spread the light around better, or to put a glass decoration or vase on it to give the decoration/flowers an extra dimension.  Sia is a very high end home decor company, and a lot of their stuff is very artsy like that tray.

Virg

Virg, you are a font of knowledge! Thank you so much! pwy a wyr :D

StarFaerie

« Reply #5709 on: September 12, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
Yes to all of the above, depending on the area and the person drinking it.  *I* prefer cold black tea, unsweetened.  DH prefers cold black tea with a couple of teaspoons of sugar. My Oklahoma kinfolk prefer sweet tea - boil a gallon of water, dissolve two cups of sugar into it, and add 8 teabags.  Refrigerate this tea-flavored syrup after cooling and serve over ice.  There are also packet mixes, which are also sweetened but not as much as sweet tea, and most grocery stores will also have sweetened iced tea or sweet tea in gallon jugs. The packet mixes usually also have lemonish flavoring.  You can also get sweetened iced tea in 12 ounce cans or 20 ounce bottles, like Coke.  There is no real consistency about what you get in a restaurant.  Better ask first.

I've often wondered, how do you stop it from going bitter and yucky? If I make a cup of hot tea and let it go cold, it's not very nice. Actually it happens to me practically every day at work and I just tip it out. No-one I know is happy to drink hot tea that went cold accidentally. So how do you make it different? Is it in the teas used, the chilling process or maybe in the brewing temperature?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5710 on: September 12, 2012, 04:30:32 AM »

I've often wondered, how do you stop it from going bitter and yucky? If I make a cup of hot tea and let it go cold, it's not very nice. Actually it happens to me practically every day at work and I just tip it out. No-one I know is happy to drink hot tea that went cold accidentally. So how do you make it different? Is it in the teas used, the chilling process or maybe in the brewing temperature?

It used to happen to me, too, until I bought one of these: http://www.prezzybox.com/usb-mug-warmer.aspx?gclid=CIHin_TPr7ICFQQLfAodg2oAaA 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5711 on: September 12, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
In the south, iced tea is strong black tea, chilled. Sweet tea is the same, with lots of sugar.  I have only seen iced coffee as, well, coffee on ice.  The other drink you describe sounds like a dessert.

In NYC, iced tea is available two ways.  you can get  Nestea or Snapple in bottles.  This is quite sweet and flavored with fruit.  Lemon, peach or raspberry are popular flavors.  However,  we have seen unsweetened Nestea in Wisconsin. 

A more traditional iced tea in the Northeast USA is a home-brewed, strong black tea.  It's made extra strong because it has to keep its character in the presence of ice cubes.  No sweetener is added to the original brew.  Drinkers may add lemon and/or sugar if they wish. 

This beverage is prized because it has a slight astringency.  As Mr. Thipu puts it, 'It cuts the fuzz'
better than sugared drinks or even plain water. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5712 on: September 12, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
guihong wrote:

"We went to a Japanese "steakhouse" tonight for DD's birthday :).  This was the kind of place where several parties of people sit around a hibachi, and the chef puts on a "show" with flying knives, chopping and tossing food around, and setting fires.  The food was good, but the main draw of the place is the preparation.  How authentic is the "show" in Japan, or is it purely theater?"

That's called teppanyaki, and it's both theater and authentic in Japan.  If you attend often, you'll see that (assuming the chef is good) the show is very exacting like a martial arts routine.  The accuracy to the routine is part of it, like a tea ceremony where perfect execution honors the guests, so the chefs rehearse as much as any dancer.  In fact, once at Teppan Edo (the teppanyaki restaurant in Walt Disney World), I said something offhand that got a really good response.  When our chef had finished and left, one of the other people at the table (not in my party) said, "he didn't say much, did he?"  I replied, "True, but his execution was very nearly flawless."  The manager nearby heard me say that and apparently told the chef, who returned to the table to thank me personally.

Virg

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5713 on: September 12, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
I didn't want to start a whole new thread in the knowledge exchange folder, so I hope it's ok to put it here.

Also, when we were in Hawaii, DH asked at a cafe for a "iced coffee" - and got chilled black coffee with iced cubes. Is this usual? Ice/d Coffee here is a milk drink mildly flavoured with coffee, sold in cartons, or, at a cafe you'd get a fancy glass, with maybe some ice cream/cream on top.

It sounds like it is closer to Canadian iced tea than American. Ours is sold with the soft drinks and is quite often lemon-flavoured, but you can get peach, raspberry, or various other things.

Our iced coffee isn't plain coffee either. I don't drink it, but I know it is closer to a coffee milkshake than coffee with ice cubes.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #5714 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

I drink hot tea at work and have noticed that if I leave the tea bag in too long, the tea gets bitter, and that seems to be accentuated when the cup gets cold. (I do put sweetener in my hot tea, for full disclosure.) Otherwise the tea isn't too bad cool, and I can always microwave it and get it back to the 'original' flavor.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.