Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 968590 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5730 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
New Question:

Why are you not supposed to serve cheese with seafood?

There's a chef judge on "Chopped" (Scott Conant) who cringes whenever someone sprinkles mozzarella or parmesan or some other cheese on pasta with seafood.

I made some salmon tonight and thought about a pasta with alfredo sauce for a side dish, then I thought about an episode of Chopped where all the judges were yelling "Don't  do it!" when one of the competing chefs started sprinkling cheese on her seafood dish. Scott Conant said "I won't even eat this."

(So I served my pasta side with a pesto sauce instead.)

Why is this taboo?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #5731 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
New Question:

There's a chef judge on "Chopped" (Scott Conant) who cringes whenever someone sprinkles mozzarella or parmesan or some other cheese on pasta with seafood.

I made some salmon tonight and thought about a pasta with alfredo sauce for a side dish, then I thought about an episode of Chopped where all the judges were yelling "Don't  do it!" when one of the competing chefs started sprinkling cheese on her seafood dish. Scott Conant said "I won't even eat this."

Why is this taboo?

I've never heard of such a rule. If that's what you want with your seafood, do it (says she who loves her lobster bisques and her shrimp dipped in Drambuie sauce).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

JoW

« Reply #5732 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »
There is an old wives tale that eating lobster and drinking milk in the same meal will upset your stomach.  There are at least a few restaurants in Maine that will question you if you order that combination.  (I have relatives in Maine.) 

It doesn't take much to extend that ban to all sea food.  But that doesn't explain my grandfather's milk-based clam chowder. 

dawnfire

« Reply #5733 on: September 21, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »
New Question:

Why is this taboo?

I've never heard of such a rule. If that's what you want with your seafood, do it (says she who loves her lobster bisques and her shrimp dipped in Drambuie sauce).

neither have I. hubby makes a mean smoked salmon with a 3 cheese sauce (one has to be blue cheese tho) over a nice fettuccine pasta.

Iris

« Reply #5734 on: September 21, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
New Question:

Why is this taboo?

It could just be a personal preference of this particular judge. I have seen cooking shows where a participant has made something (eg spicy) that one of the judges just doesn't personally like. The judge stated that the person should have researched their 'clientele' better and took marks off based on that personal preference. This could have been a similar scenario.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Cracea

« Reply #5735 on: September 21, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
New Question:

Why is this taboo?

It could just be a personal preference of this particular judge. I have seen cooking shows where a participant has made something (eg spicy) that one of the judges just doesn't personally like. The judge stated that the person should have researched their 'clientele' better and took marks off based on that personal preference. This could have been a similar scenario.

Apparently it's an Italian thing http://www.thekitchn.com/the-fish-and-cheese-debate-the-76178

I would have never guessed there was an issue.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5736 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
I had a delicious dish at a Mexican restautant called Flower of the Sea (well, in Spanish).  A bed of Spanish rice with shrimp arranged in a circular "flower" pattern.  The shrimp had been butterflied, stuffed with a slice of either Monterey Jack or Asado cheese, a sliver of pepper, wrapped in bacon, and fried in garlic butter..........

Pure goodness on a plate - if you weren't afraid of the calories, the cholesterol, and the pepper slice (mild pepper - at least as served in Arizona thirty odd years ago - I suppose that how hot the pepper was depended on the cook).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5737 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
I've heard about the prohibition about serving cheese with fish and it seems to be an Italian thing.

As it was explained to me, fish usually has a delicate flavor that can be overwhelmed by many cheeses.  Of course, that doesn't explain the deliciousness of shrimp Parmesan. 

violinp

« Reply #5738 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
I've heard about the prohibition about serving cheese with fish and it seems to be an Italian thing.

As it was explained to me, fish usually has a delicate flavor that can be overwhelmed by many cheeses.  Of course, that doesn't explain the deliciousness of shrimp Parmesan.

I've found that certain fish and seafood are more delicate than others. For instance, lobster is much more delicate a flavor than shrimp, and tilapia more delicate than salmon. So, it's just a bit of balancing act.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5739 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
No fish and cheese? Ridonkculous! How could you have cod with cheese sauce, or fish pie, or smoked fish paté if you didn't pair fish with cheese? I guess it depends on the fish and the cheese. I wouldn't put Rouquefort on scallops.

marcel

« Reply #5740 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
New Question:

Why is this taboo?

Allthough I have never heard of such a taboo, I can understand why they say it in these shows, because most cheeses have a very strong flavour, that does not balance well with fish flavour, so to do a combination of cheese and fish, you have to be very carefull not to completely destroy the flavour. by either using a little, or a not too strong cheese.

I mostly posted to say that cheese is one of the main ingredients of pesto, so you were still having cheese with your fish in the end.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5741 on: September 22, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
Cracea  -- thanks for the link!

The only place that I heard of this taboo was on that show, by that one judge. So while it seems to be a strong belief, it is not known by a lot of people.

Interesting.

I mostly posted to say that cheese is one of the main ingredients of pesto, so you were still having cheese with your fish in the end.

I did not know this. I guess I should read the ingredients on the jar ;) . . . I've never made my own.

Thanks, everybody!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5742 on: September 22, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
Several decades ago we visited a local Italian restaurant.  When I asked for grated cheese on my order of linguini with white clam sauce, the server looked at me with great concern.

Could it be that I REALLY wanted THAT? 

That was when I heard about the prohibition of fish served with cheese. 

Okay, I may be the woman with the Naugahyde palate but I see nothing wrong with a bit of Parmesan on my linguini.  It thickens rhe sauce so nicely.   

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #5743 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
Not to mention, in my mind nothing beats a good plateful of fetuccini with shrimp and Alfredo sauce.  Mmmmmm.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

violinp

« Reply #5744 on: September 23, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
Not to mention, in my mind nothing beats a good plateful of fetuccini with shrimp and Alfredo sauce.  Mmmmmm.

Dagnabbit, now I want shrimp alfredo, and no restaurant is open this late around here!  ;)