Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058228 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5925 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:15 PM »
How on Earth to people get Saran wrap (cling wrap, plastic wrap, whateveryoucallit) to actually stick?  I can never do it consistently and even when I do get it to stick, it is so rare that I can't figure out how I did it.  If I had my own place, I would have Press'n'Seal, but I'm using what Mental Mother has.  Someone please help!

Use enough of it that it goes around and over the edge of the dish by a significant margin and sticks to itself.  You don't always have to wrap the whole thing top and bottom, but getting at least 270-degree coverage helps a lot.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5926 on: October 24, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »
How on Earth to people get Saran wrap (cling wrap, plastic wrap, whateveryoucallit) to actually stick?  I can never do it consistently and even when I do get it to stick, it is so rare that I can't figure out how I did it.  If I had my own place, I would have Press'n'Seal, but I'm using what Mental Mother has.  Someone please help!

Use enough of it that it goes around and over the edge of the dish by a significant margin and sticks to itself.  You don't always have to wrap the whole thing top and bottom, but getting at least 270-degree coverage helps a lot.

Doesn't that mean I'd have to go mostly around the bowl twice? (You know, when there is a margin of 1" on two sides even though the other two sides are almost touching each other?  Then I have to go one direction then the other perpendicularly to cover everything.)  That seems like a waste to me (which is probably why I never tried it...Then again, I've seen people just go one way and still have it "cling".  Maybe I'm hopeless).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5927 on: October 25, 2012, 12:06:14 AM »

Doesn't that mean I'd have to go mostly around the bowl twice? (You know, when there is a margin of 1" on two sides even though the other two sides are almost touching each other?  Then I have to go one direction then the other perpendicularly to cover everything.)  That seems like a waste to me (which is probably why I never tried it...Then again, I've seen people just go one way and still have it "cling".  Maybe I'm hopeless).

If the bowl is wider than the saran wrap, don't go over the middle.  Make your first pass cover the front 2/3 of the bowl (with a healthy amount of saran wrap hanging off the edge for wrapping purposes), then the second pass cover the back 2/3 of the bowl so there's a stripe of about 1/3 the bowl's width in overlap in the middle.  And you don't have to go all the way around the bottom of the bowl too, but get low enough you can't just lift the saran wrap off the top once it's all mashed down and stuck to itself.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5928 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:25 AM »
That makes a lot more sense.  Thank you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

squeakers

« Reply #5929 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:07 AM »

No, I'm hopeless.  No matter whether I do a 2 or 3 pass around the bowl or 50/50 .. the wrap crap comes undone.  Which is why I use aluminum foil or zippy bags ;-) (unless it is cheese or 1 pork chop.. cos even then I can't go wrong ;-)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5930 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »

No, I'm hopeless.  No matter whether I do a 2 or 3 pass around the bowl or 50/50 .. the wrap crap comes undone.  Which is why I use aluminum foil or zippy bags ;-) (unless it is cheese or 1 pork chop.. cos even then I can't go wrong ;-)

Yeah, wrapping around individual slices of something is no big deal.  Putting it over a container is where I fail.

Snooks

« Reply #5931 on: October 25, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »
I'm sure cling wrap is less clingy than it used to be, I tend to use foil to cover things in the fridge now.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #5932 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
A lot of the wraps require you to stretch them slightly to achieve the cling - try having a reasonable margin on one side (three or four inches), holding it down, and then STRETCHING the film across. Works for me every time.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5933 on: October 25, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
I have found that only certain brand names of cling wrap actually cling to a bowl. You do have to stretch it slightly, as a PP said.

Many other brands only cling to the wrap itself, so you have to use lots of it and pretty much encase the bowl in plastic wrap. You have to go all the way around the bowl, top and bottom, at least with the first piece. Sometimes that will be enough of a base that the rest will stick.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5934 on: October 25, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
Cling wraps vary in stickiness by brand and material too, so it might be the bowls as much as the wrap.  But when I need to cover and stick and the wrap just barely clears the width of the container, two passes crossing each other (I don't do side-by-side but an actual perpendicular crossover) does the job for me most times.  Note that just about every wrap will stick better to a dry warm surface than cold or moist, so a quick lap around the lip with a towel is sometimes all you need.

Virg

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5935 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »

This is why I never buy Saran Wrap.  It's so wasteful.

Well, I shouldn't say never.  I sometimes buy the colored Saran Wrap at Christmas time to make little pouches for treats.  It's kind of like using cellophane.  But that's the only thing it's good for, IMO.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5936 on: October 25, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
The "press and seal" kind is worth it, IMHO, because even though it's more expensive per foot, you don't need anywhere near as much of it - plus you can re-use it, unlike saran wrap where you give up more often than not when it gets all balled up and stuck to itself.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5937 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
The "press and seal" kind is worth it, IMHO, because even though it's more expensive per foot, you don't need anywhere near as much of it - plus you can re-use it, unlike saran wrap where you give up more often than not when it gets all balled up and stuck to itself.

Have you been in my kitchen?!

I hate cling film and cling film hates me  ;D

wheeitsme

« Reply #5938 on: October 25, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
Just an FYI, the formulation for most household cling wraps has changed in recent years.  The new formulation is supposedly more environmentally friendly and less likely to have plastic ickies transfer into certain foods, but the change has made them less clingy.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #5939 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
I also think it just doesn't stick to plastic.  When I use it on glass dishes/bowls, it works perfectly.  When I try to use it on plastic, it just sort of sits there.

I like the press and seal too.