Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1026597 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5940 on: October 25, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I also think it just doesn't stick to plastic.  When I use it on glass dishes/bowls, it works perfectly.  When I try to use it on plastic, it just sort of sits there.

I like the press and seal too.

^Agree 100%. Plus, like a PPer mentioned, giving it a gentle pull while it's touching the glass bowl helps a lot.

For plastics, try: http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Elastic-Bowl-Plate-Covers/dp/B000RCHF40

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5941 on: October 25, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
I also think it just doesn't stick to plastic.  When I use it on glass dishes/bowls, it works perfectly.  When I try to use it on plastic, it just sort of sits there.

^Agree 100%. Plus, like a PPer mentioned, giving it a gentle pull while it's touching the glass bowl helps a lot.

For plastics, try: http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Elastic-Bowl-Plate-Covers/dp/B000RCHF40

Y'know, all my bowls are glass, so I'm sitting here wondering "why the heck is everyone have problems with cling wrap?!"

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5942 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
I do fine with cling wrap on glass, but it doesn't work for plastic at all, and i don't think it's all that great on metal, either. Fortunately for me, most of the things I'm likely to want to put cling wrap on are glass. For the things that aren't, I use tin-foil or find a different container.

What works even better than cling wrap is containers that come with lids. I have a number of Pyrex storage containers, and I use those whenever I can. I also have a lot of the Ziploc and Glad plastic containers, and those come in handy, too.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5943 on: October 26, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »

Y'know, all my bowls are glass, so I'm sitting here wondering "why the heck is everyone have problems with cling wrap?!"

Not cling wrap, Saran Wrap.  Cling wrap clings, and stretches to fit.  Saran Wrap doesn't cling really.  Not even to itself very well.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5944 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »
I take it from when my water breaks. In my case it seems to be getting shorter and shorter 12 hours with my eldest, 6 hours with my middle and 1 hour with my youngest. I swear if i have another i'm camping out at the hospital for the last month.  ;D
I've heard that each subsequent baby takes about half the time that the previous one did, so don't choose a hospital more than 15 minutes away! ;)  15 for DD1, about 6 for DD2 here.

My grandmother had 19. She must have in labor about 3 seconds by the last one!

When I was a teenager we had a neighbor who had had a very short labor with her first baby, and the doctor was predicting more of the same with her second; if she said, "It's time!" It was time right then, and her husband had better drop everything and run.  For her second baby her husband pounded on our door one afternoon, as my mother had agreed to watch their little boy when the time came, and he told me they couldn't wait for my mother to get out of the shower.  So, I followed him over to their house still carrying my guinea pig and stayed with the little boy until my mom got there.  I heard later that within a half hour after they left the house their little girl was born; they barely made it to the hospital that was less than 5 miles away. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5945 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

Not cling wrap, Saran Wrap.  Cling wrap clings, and stretches to fit.  Saran Wrap doesn't cling really.  Not even to itself very well.

Ah.  That would be it, then.  I buy generics often, and I don't use cling wrap enough to really care about the brand.  :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5946 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »

Ah.  That would be it, then.  I buy generics often, and I don't use cling wrap enough to really care about the brand.  :)

But, wait . . . Isn't Saran wrap just a brand name for their cling wrap?

I was curious, so I looked it up.

"In 1949, Dow introduced Saran Wrap, a thin, clingy plastic wrap that was sold in rolls and used primarily for wrapping food. It quickly became popular for preserving food items stored in the refrigerator."

Also, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_wrap

"Plastic wrap, cling film (UK), cling wrap or food wrap, is a thin plastic film typically used for sealing food items in containers to keep them fresh over a longer period of time. Plastic wrap, typically sold on rolls in boxes with a cutting edge, clings to many smooth surfaces and can thus remain tight over the opening of a container without adhesive or other devices. Common plastic wrap is roughly 0.5 mils, or 12.5 µm, thick.[1][2] In Australia and New Zealand the genericized trademark glad wrap is commonly used, while Saran wrap has become genericized in North America."

The article does go on to say that Saran wrap changed its formula, "making the new formulation a lower quality plastic wrap" (eta: they still sell their original wrap as "Saran Premium."

I was sure that I've been using Saran wrap for years. I went to look and, nope, I'm using Glad clearly marked "Cling" wrap.

So, I guess, not all plastic wraps are equal. ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:42:45 PM by jpcher »

Soprych

« Reply #5947 on: October 27, 2012, 02:01:39 AM »
Instead of trying to find the perfect cling wrap, I find that what works best for me is the free plastic shower cap ones receives at a hotel.

Elisabunny

« Reply #5948 on: October 27, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
I do fine with cling wrap on glass, but it doesn't work for plastic at all, and i don't think it's all that great on metal, either. Fortunately for me, most of the things I'm likely to want to put cling wrap on are glass. For the things that aren't, I use tin-foil or find a different container.

What works even better than cling wrap is containers that come with lids. I have a number of Pyrex storage containers, and I use those whenever I can. I also have a lot of the Ziploc and Glad plastic containers, and those come in handy, too.

I've been slowly accumulating lidded containers.  Definitely the way to go!
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #5949 on: October 27, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Today's question - peanut butter.

My incredibly generous employer keeps both of our lunchrooms stocked with cereal, instant soups, sandwich supplies, various beverages, frozen waffles and other goodies. (Yes, I know how lucky I am!)

In the pantry is a large container of Kraft peanut butter. (I list the brand because people will be able to picture the texture and properties properly).

This is a big jar - the 2kg (5lb?) size. We're talking a lot of peanut butter.
It is being used, but very, very slowly.

I was worried that it would go rancid, so I went to put it in the fridge.
This triggered a discussion about where the best place to store the peanut butter was. ???

Some say fridge, because it will stay fresh longer.
Others say pantry, because if it's in the fridge, it will be too hard to spread and no one will want to use it.
(Some people were surprised that putting it in the fridge was even an option. Totally new idea.)

So - where should we keep the peanut butter? We've had the jar for a month now and only two people have used it.
How long will it take to go bad (The expiration date is a very unclear and unhelpful "12Mar13". ::))
Will this brand be too hard if I put it in the fridge?

There are only 30 of us in the office, and it seems like everyone has an opinion. Thoughts?

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #5950 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Expiry date is the 12th of march 2013.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5951 on: October 27, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
I keep my peanut butter in the cupboard because I find it easier to spread.  I've never had it go off before the expiry date.  But some people really taste when it starts to go off and they prefer to keep it in the fridge.

I agree with amandaelizabeth about the expiry date.  Maybe suggest that next time peanut butter is purchased, it could be bought in smaller quantities.  Maybe even get two jars - one stored in the cupboard and one stored in the fridge and people can use the one they prefer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5952 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
The expiration date on food only refers to how long it will stay good to eat unopened. Once the container is opened, the expiration date isn't any use any more.

Found a peanut butter FAQ here: http://www.jif.com/About/Faq

They say that once opened, it's good for three months on the shelf. I've heard that after that, it is still safe to eat, but the oils may start going rancid, so it might taste funny.

All peanut butter will get hard in the fridge. So people would have to take the jar out and let it warm up before using it.

If you don't want it to go to waste, you could bring in a smaller jar and put a few weeks supply in that and put that in the pantry, while storing the larger jar in the fridge.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

sevenday

« Reply #5953 on: October 27, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
Came in to chime in on the peanut butter. I've always used the three-month rule of thumb for opened PB in the pantry.  I've noticed that while I can eat peanut butter freshly opened, if I let it go beyond 3 months or so - despite seeming to taste the same upon eating, my stomach doesn't like it.  I don't eat it often nor use it in cooking/baking, so I get the smallest possible jar I can, and then put it in the fridge.  I'll scoop out about 1/2 a cup or so and put it in one of those plastic food storage containers (Glad, Ziploc, etc) and keep that in the pantry so it's spreadable at room temperature.  When that's out or nearly out I wash it and use a fresh container for a new scoop and go from there.  One jar usually lasts me eight or nine months at this rate.   You might consider employing that at the office to prevent problems with spreadability and so forth.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5954 on: October 28, 2012, 02:05:28 AM »
Some "natural" or organic peanut butters, and most other nut butters, do keep better when refrigerated.  The commercial ones are homogenized enough it's not necessary.