Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 973960 times)

Redsoil

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5955 on: October 28, 2012, 04:11:10 AM »
I use Kraft peanut butter, and keep it in the pantry.  I only use it rarely, so over the years, I've had it on the shelf for as long as three years.  No problem.  Still tastes fine!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #5956 on: October 29, 2012, 04:14:04 AM »
I've seen quite a few posts on eHell with periods instead of spaces between some of the words. So a post will be perfectly normal and then suddenly it.looks.like.this. It seems to be something I'll see repeatedly in the posts of certain posters, so it doesn't seem to be a fluke. Is this something people do intentionally for emphasis or something, or just a typo where the period is hit instead of the spacebar? If it's a typo, is there some keyboard layout that puts the period right next to the spacebar? On my keyboard, it would be very difficult to hit the period when I was aiming for the spacebar, and if I did, I would probably be hitting other keys as well, not the period consistently. However, this is not something I've ever come across as a way to emphasize things in text, not even when italics, bold, and underlining are unavailable, so I'm baffled.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5957 on: October 29, 2012, 06:12:32 AM »
I've seen quite a few posts on eHell with periods instead of spaces between some of the words. So a post will be perfectly normal and then suddenly it.looks.like.this. It seems to be something I'll see repeatedly in the posts of certain posters, so it doesn't seem to be a fluke. Is this something people do intentionally for emphasis or something, or just a typo where the period is hit instead of the spacebar? If it's a typo, is there some keyboard layout that puts the period right next to the spacebar? On my keyboard, it would be very difficult to hit the period when I was aiming for the spacebar, and if I did, I would probably be hitting other keys as well, not the period consistently. However, this is not something I've ever come across as a way to emphasize things in text, not even when italics, bold, and underlining are unavailable, so I'm baffled.
It is a type of emphasis when you read you go up on the end of each word and they are clipped. Think a kid in class drumming on the desk, the teacher goes up and says you.will.stop.now.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5958 on: October 29, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »
It is a type of emphasis when you read you go up on the end of each word and they are clipped. Think a kid in class drumming on the desk, the teacher goes up and says you.will.stop.now.

I always think of it as someone speaking through gritted teeth, sort of lockjaw.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5959 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

I always think of it as someone speaking through gritted teeth, sort of lockjaw.

Ditto. I think of a mom giving The Mom Look and saying the phrase in clipped but emphasized tones.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Betelnut

« Reply #5960 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Yeah, but some people seem to use the period word, period word thing a little too much and in not very appropriate spots.  In those cases, I have wondered if it was a Smarphone stutter or something...
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5961 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:33 AM »
Yeah, but some people seem to use the period word, period word thing a little too much and in not very appropriate spots.  In those cases, I have wondered if it was a Smarphone stutter or something...

That is also my other guess. I read it with clipped tones first, and if that doesn't seem right , I wonder for a fleeting moment before just ignoring it as a typo of sorts that logistically probably only comes from a device with autocorrect or the likes.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5962 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
How exactly are you supposed to use bobby-pins and get them to stay?  Maybe I'm using too much hair for one pin or my hair is too thick/curly or maybe I'm just bobby-pin inapt.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5963 on: October 29, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
How exactly are you supposed to use bobby-pins and get them to stay?  Maybe I'm using too much hair for one pin or my hair is too thick/curly or maybe I'm just bobby-pin inapt.

Do you mean to make coils to make curls as in the 1940s or just hold your hair back?

For the former, it takes practice to find the right amount of hair, wind it around your finger so the end is closest to the scalp, and put the pin in gently to not disturb the coil. (Yeah, right! I perfected the curl about the time it wasn't needed anymore!)

For the latter, if your hair is thick and curly, it won't work, although for my fine, thin hair it did - I used them on strays when I wore a ponytail, circa 1960. You need to find large barretts or hair combs or Scrunchies. Hair combs are great if you know how to go with the grain and then twist back. They stay all day.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5964 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »

Do you mean to make coils to make curls as in the 1940s or just hold your hair back?

For the former, it takes practice to find the right amount of hair, wind it around your finger so the end is closest to the scalp, and put the pin in gently to not disturb the coil. (Yeah, right! I perfected the curl about the time it wasn't needed anymore!)

For the latter, if your hair is thick and curly, it won't work, although for my fine, thin hair it did - I used them on strays when I wore a ponytail, circa 1960. You need to find large barretts or hair combs or Scrunchies. Hair combs are great if you know how to go with the grain and then twist back. They stay all day.

I mostly use them to hold back errants or to pin up my hair into an up-do.  Some pins stay and some don't; I can't figure out what I do to get some to stay.  I have thick (density and width of strand) naturally curly hair.  Maybe more pins and less hair per pin will help?  Do you just slide them in facing any direction?  Is less hair per pin better?  I am really at a loss for this  :-[

mmswm

« Reply #5965 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:27 AM »
I have very long, thick, dense, curly hair.  When I put it up in some sort of 'do, I wind up using about a billion bobby pins.  Just three strands too many and they won't stay.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5966 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
I have very long, thick, dense, curly hair.  When I put it up in some sort of 'do, I wind up using about a billion bobby pins.  Just three strands too many and they won't stay.

That's my pain!  I wind up with a billion bobby-pins, most of which are just supporting what the last three are holding up.  In my new line of work, tracking each bobby-pin (and or limiting the amount) is very important.

Ereine

« Reply #5967 on: October 30, 2012, 12:47:11 AM »
I don't use them but I've recently read that you're suppose use them with the wavy side down, I don't know if you're doing that? That is also a very common problem and there are tons of tips and tutorials and videos for bobby pins online.

Iris

« Reply #5968 on: October 30, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »
Buy some of this. Seriously. It has saved me from the torture of bobby pins altogether.

http://www.whitesandsproducts.com/Products/Detail.aspx?pid=109
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5969 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
Magpie, I used to use these plastic headband things in place of bobby pins.  They came apart and allowed you to connect them again and were zigzaged plastic teeth.  I'd flip my head upside down, put one around my neck then push it into place, taking all the wispys with it.  Then I'd flip my head back up and tie back the rest.  Sometimes I'd put the pony tail in first then put on the headband.

I loved them because they didn't hurt my head, kept my hair back and took no time at all to put in.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario