Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 972344 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #5970 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »
I also have hair that is quite thick and, I've recently determined, curly. With bobby pins, the normal sized ones never really worked to hold up my hair unless it was already in a ponytail when I pinned it into a bun (or even better, a ponytail and then braided), or I used approximately eleventy billion of them. Something else I realized when I had my hair done for my wedding is that not all bobby pins are created equal -- the ones the stylist used for my hair that day had a much firmer grip than the ones I usually buy at the store. It still took approximately eleventy billion of them plus a lot of hairspray, but I did have hair down to my waist and a relatively complex style.

What I found worked even better was using some of those Goody "spin pins" they sell now. They're like double-helix spirals that you sort of twist into the bun to hold it up, and the two that come per package is plenty. Those worked quite well, and didn't hurt my head. If you need a really secure bun, I'd imagine putting your hair in a low ponytail first and then using the spin pins would work even better.

When I use bobby pins to do something like pin my bangs back, I find they stay a lot better if I use two, and cross one over the other so they make an X. Sometimes just using two really close together works reasonably well, too.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5971 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
I don't use them but I've recently read that you're suppose use them with the wavy side down, I don't know if you're doing that? That is also a very common problem and there are tons of tips and tutorials and videos for bobby pins online.

All of mine have a slight curve so they fit flat side toward the scalp, so I would end up with a bunch of rockers if I did it that way.

lilfox

« Reply #5972 on: October 30, 2012, 01:23:01 PM »
My hair is straight but thick - I can hold back pieces using the "X" formed by two bobby pins, one to hold the hair and one to pin the first one in place.  I think it's trial and error to figure out how much hair can be held by any one or two pins. 

My problem is, I cannot figure out how to hide them!  When I do this, you can clearly see an X, but I thought the point of bobby pins is that they disappear into your hair.  When I've had my hair professionally done, you can't see any pins. Then again I've had my hair curled for formal styles and maybe the curls allow for better hiding...

Also, does anyone know, will spin pins work on straight hair?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5973 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
I also have hair that is quite thick and, I've recently determined, curly. With bobby pins, the normal sized ones never really worked to hold up my hair unless it was already in a ponytail when I pinned it into a bun (or even better, a ponytail and then braided), or I used approximately eleventy billion of them. Something else I realized when I had my hair done for my wedding is that not all bobby pins are created equal -- the ones the stylist used for my hair that day had a much firmer grip than the ones I usually buy at the store. It still took approximately eleventy billion of them plus a lot of hairspray, but I did have hair down to my waist and a relatively complex style.

What I found worked even better was using some of those Goody "spin pins" they sell now. They're like double-helix spirals that you sort of twist into the bun to hold it up, and the two that come per package is plenty. Those worked quite well, and didn't hurt my head. If you need a really secure bun, I'd imagine putting your hair in a low ponytail first and then using the spin pins would work even better.

When I use bobby pins to do something like pin my bangs back, I find they stay a lot better if I use two, and cross one over the other so they make an X. Sometimes just using two really close together works reasonably well, too.

Ha!  My hair is actually too short to use the spin pins on now, but last year I wore it a bit longer.  My hair is REALLY thick and a CW suggested I try them.  I could not get them through my hair at all.  I took them back to Walgreen's (maybe CVS) and the woman at the cosmetic counter tried to "show" me how to use them as I was obviously doing it wrong.  She did manage to get the first one in...and it promptly broke, hair springing out everywhere.  She waited a beat and said "Wow, I've never seen it do THAT before".

Bobby pins are a completely lost cause.  The big giant super grade salon ones will work to put my hair in a french twist or something similar, but the last time I had it professionally done it took almost 50 of them and a vat of Aqua net hairspray.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Betelnut

« Reply #5974 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
Home repair experts!

During Sandy, I kept checking my basement to see if there were any leaks, seepage, etc.  I did find a small leak coming from the ceiling of the basement.  It looks like it may have leaked in the same place before as there is a tiny bit of black mold on the rafter there (not a huge amount).  The leak was not coming from the floor above as I checked my daugher's floor and there wasn't any standing water.  I don't think it was coming from a pipe as my basement is unfinished and all the pipes are pretty much exposed.

Who would be a good person to call to check out this small leak?  A foundations guy?  A plumber (just in case it IS from a pipe)?

Also, should I call in a mold person or treat the mold myself with bleach?  There truly isn't a lot of it.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5975 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Home repair experts!

During Sandy, I kept checking my basement to see if there were any leaks, seepage, etc.  I did find a small leak coming from the ceiling of the basement.  It looks like it may have leaked in the same place before as there is a tiny bit of black mold on the rafter there (not a huge amount).  The leak was not coming from the floor above as I checked my daugher's floor and there wasn't any standing water.  I don't think it was coming from a pipe as my basement is unfinished and all the pipes are pretty much exposed.

Who would be a good person to call to check out this small leak?  A foundations guy?  A plumber (just in case it IS from a pipe)?

Also, should I call in a mold person or treat the mold myself with bleach?  There truly isn't a lot of it.

Plumber. In our town, county, and state, we can treat up to 25 square feet of mold ourselves. Check your local laws.

Good luck! Hope it is easy and cheap.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5976 on: November 01, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »
Betelnut wrote:

"Also, should I call in a mold person or treat the mold myself with bleach?  There truly isn't a lot of it."

If it's only a bit you can deal with it yourself easily enough.  However, as Mike Holmes always says, you don't need bleach to deal with mold and the bleach will be harder on you than the mold.  Just use soap and water (well, I'd use some sort of all-purpose house cleaner rather than raw soap) and it'll clean up fine.  You only need a pro if you've got penetrating mold (the plumber will find that while looking for the leak if you do) or if it's a very large area like renovating an abandoned house or dealing with damage left when you had to evacuate for a while.

Virg

Adelaide

« Reply #5977 on: November 01, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »
Has anyone else ever gone to law (or grad) school and finally "hit the wall", so to speak, of feeling genuinely stupid? I get the material we're covering in class. I did well on my midterm, but legal writing is killing me. My professor probably thinks that I'm unteachable at this point. I've also heard that a lot of people start out their first year feeling this way, but right now I'm having to force myself through another memo that I'll be embarrassed to turn in. I feel like putting a disclaimer or attaching a copy of my LSAT score to try and prove that I am not as stupid as the words I've strung together on the page.

mmswm

« Reply #5978 on: November 01, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
Has anyone else ever gone to law (or grad) school and finally "hit the wall", so to speak, of feeling genuinely stupid? I get the material we're covering in class. I did well on my midterm, but legal writing is killing me. My professor probably thinks that I'm unteachable at this point. I've also heard that a lot of people start out their first year feeling this way, but right now I'm having to force myself through another memo that I'll be embarrassed to turn in. I feel like putting a disclaimer or attaching a copy of my LSAT score to try and prove that I am not as stupid as the words I've strung together on the page.

For me it was topology.  I did fine in Abstract Algebra, Real and Complex Analysis, Combinatorics, Mathematical Statistics, BioStats and everything else I took between undergrad and grad school. Topology kicked my behind.  It nearly killed my 4.0GPA. I don't know what it was about that subject, but my brain refused to comprehend it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5979 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

I think that's the purpose of 1L. :)  Don't worry -- as they say, this too shall pass!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #5980 on: November 02, 2012, 06:49:59 AM »

I went though the same thing at uni.  It's okay, it's certainly not uncommon and you will be just fine.  Just keep plodding along until you break through.

Is there any way an older student could guve you some extra tuition or something, to get your confidence up?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5981 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
Does drinking water with meals or to take pills somehow "dilute" the food or medication?  DH will only take a sip of water to take his medication, even though the directions on the bottle say to take with at least 8 ounces of water.  He says that he was taught that too much water dilutes the medication.  (Yet more Pearls of Wisdom from MIL, no doubt. ::))

Similarly, I have relatives who say that you should never drink water with meals because it dilutes the food.

This seems like nonsense to me.  If you eat 100 calories of food, or 40mg of medication, it's still 100 calories or 40mg, right?  No matter how much water you do or do not drink with it.

Now if the med is a liquid and you are supposed to take 1 teaspoon, but instead you mix it half and half with water and then take 1 teaspoon, that's diluting it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5982 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »
Does drinking water with meals or to take pills somehow "dilute" the food or medication?  DH will only take a sip of water to take his medication, even though the directions on the bottle say to take with at least 8 ounces of water.  He says that he was taught that too much water dilutes the medication.  (Yet more Pearls of Wisdom from MIL, no doubt. ::))

Similarly, I have relatives who say that you should never drink water with meals because it dilutes the food.

This seems like nonsense to me.  If you eat 100 calories of food, or 40mg of medication, it's still 100 calories or 40mg, right?  No matter how much water you do or do not drink with it.

Now if the med is a liquid and you are supposed to take 1 teaspoon, but instead you mix it half and half with water and then take 1 teaspoon, that's diluting it.

I have never heard the dilution theory before your post, but I have read a few articles about too much water or any beverage during meals can interfere with proper digestion, due to diluting the enzymes and other chemicals in the intestinal tract.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5983 on: November 02, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
Some "natural" or organic peanut butters, and most other nut butters, do keep better when refrigerated.  The commercial ones are homogenized enough it's not necessary.

I've kept commercial peanut butter in the cupboard for YEARS and have never had it go bad or rancid on me.

Yet.

exitzero

« Reply #5984 on: November 02, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »

I have never heard the dilution theory before your post, but I have read a few articles about too much water or any beverage during meals can interfere with proper digestion, due to diluting the enzymes and other chemicals in the intestinal tract.

I saw a doctor on TV once say that while drinking water with a meal, may dilute the vitamins a tiny bit, it's negligible. Better to dilute a little bit than choke on something you are eating, or feel uncomfortable eating it.