A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1215/1847) > >>

Dindrane:
I am also paid once per month, and I don't find the frequency of paychecks to be a problem. I think it helps a lot if you have enough of a financial cushion that you aren't counting down the days until payday. I am always paid at the end of the month, and I try to pay my bills as close to the first of the month as I can, but I could pay them earlier than that. So if for some reason I had to pay them earlier, I wouldn't be in a financial bind. Essentially, I've gotten myself into the position where I'm really spending October's paycheck right now, even if I don't actually pay any of those bills until December.

The only thing I truly don't like about being paid on a monthly basis is that, the way my employer does it, I am not paid the exact same amount each month. My pay periods actually run from the middle of one month to the middle of the next, and then I am paid for those hours at the end of the month. So instead of an averaged monthly amount, I'm paid for the actual hours I worked, and every pay period has a slightly different number of hours. I end up using an averaged amount of money (my annual salary divided by 12) for budgeting purposes, and just remind myself that some months will be less than that while other months will be more.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Dindrane on November 17, 2012, 10:36:43 AM ---[snip] I think it helps a lot if you have enough of a financial cushion that you aren't counting down the days until payday.

--- End quote ---

POD!  I was amazed at what a difference it made once we had amassed (and kept) enough money in our checking account to cover pretty much any individual bill.  Not everything all at once, but enough that if I messed up and forgot to record a check I wrote or if a bill got mislaid or if I had to write a largish unexpected check.  I had no idea how much stress I had been putting myself under by running close to the margin and having to constantly check whether we were overdrawing and worrying about whether I got my paycheck in the bank on Friday versus Monday. 

(I know it's really hard to get ahead financially when you're paycheck to paycheck, so please believe I really don't mean this as a judgement!  It is a goal worth pursuing, though!)

jpcher:
New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 17, 2012, 04:09:22 PM ---New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

--- End quote ---

Try some of those green produce bags - your store probably has them in the produce section.  They really do work!  Then you could shop a week ahead of time and wouldn't have to worry about the produce issue.

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on November 17, 2012, 09:15:58 AM ---Is it hard to budget when you only get paid once a month?

--- End quote ---

Monthly is normal here (for salaried employees), and I don't like it.  All the money has to be allocated and planned out and stretched. Now at my new job I get paid fortnightly and it basically feels like a constant stream of money coming in, we love it!  We are still saving etc but don't have to strategize cash flow as much.   DH is still paid monthly so we have direct debits etc happening on that date, then my money is our living money. So  from my perspective I'd say yes, not hard but harder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version