A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1215/1971) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
I'm not in the US but I find the best time to shop is later at night (after 8:00) if the store is open that late or around what is a normal dinner time for your area.  I find if I shop after 6:00, it is less crowded than shopping at 5:00.  I find Saturday evening a really good time to shop, too.

I have a product by Tupperware called 'Fridge Smarts'.  They are fantastic for produce.  I've kept lettuce and spinach in good shape for more than two weeks.  I put some celery in one this time last year and it somehow got shoved out of sight.  I found it the end of January.  I was afraid to open the container but I did, because I wasn't prepared to throw it out.  Not only was it not an absolute pile of glop, it was still recognizable as celery.  I didn't eat it, mainly because I knew how long it had been there but someone else who didn't know?  Might have used it.  And no, I don't sell Tupperware.   :D

But for you, buying produce Sunday for use on Thursday should be fine.  Make sure you keep everything in plastic bags and tie them off to minimize the air flow.  I know other people who've wrapped heads of lettuce or celery in tinfoil to help preserve it.  Root vegetables would be better off not refrigerated; just keep them in a dry, cool place, preferably not in plastic.  Store each kind of veggie separate, especially keeping onions away from the potatoes.

violinp:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 17, 2012, 04:09:22 PM ---New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

--- End quote ---

We already did ours on Friday to avoid the crowds. Sunday would probably be your last best bet before the mania starts.

ladyknight1:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 17, 2012, 04:09:22 PM ---New silly question --

Grocery shopping for Tgiving day. When is the best time to do this in order to avoid crowds while making sure your produce is still fresh?

Is Sunday too early? Or will the stores be just as crowded due to working people doing their weekend shopping?

When do you shop?

--- End quote ---

I am halfway done today and will finish tomorrow. I bake things ahead and brine my turkey so I need to have everything 4 days in advance.

turtleIScream:

When do you shop?

--- End quote ---

Last year, I hosted T-Giving, and was freaking out about this same issue. I shopped Wednesday morning, and had no problems with crowds.  I did my whole grocery run, and was in and out of the store in about 1.25 hours, which is normal shopping time for me.

JoW:
The 2nd and 3rd shift workers where I work say that the 24-hour WalMart near the plant is almost empty at 11:30pm and 7am.  They often stop there after work.   :o

9-11am works well in my area.  That's when most adults are at work and most kids are in school.  5-7pm is about the worst.  That's when most people are on the way home from work. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version