A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1215/2472) > >>

marcel:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 18, 2012, 04:37:16 PM ---Does running the air conditioner in your car use more gas? I was always told that this was true.

What about running the heater?

--- End quote ---
Everything that costs energy to use in your car, will make you use more gas.

Airconditioning
heater
radio
navigation system
telephone charger
lights,
etc.

GreenHall:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 18, 2012, 04:37:16 PM ---Does running the air conditioner in your car use more gas? I was always told that this was true.

--- End quote ---

To add a variable, I live in Florida.  I think I heard, somewhere, that the drag for riding with windows down uses more gas than just turning the a/c on. 
...I don't want to look it up, because I dont want to know it that's not actually true....

camlan:

--- Quote from: GreenHall on November 18, 2012, 05:15:50 PM ---

--- End quote ---

To add a variable, I live in Florida.  I think I heard, somewhere, that the drag for riding with windows down uses more gas than just turning the a/c on. 
...I don't want to look it up, because I dont want to know it that's not actually true....

--- End quote ---

I think that once you are at highway speeds, say over 55 mph, it becomes more energy efficient to use the air conditioning than to have your windows open.

jpcher:

--- Quote from: marcel on November 18, 2012, 05:10:14 PM ---

--- End quote ---
Everything that costs energy to use in your car, will make you use more gas.

Airconditioning
heater
radio
navigation system
telephone charger
lights,
etc.

--- End quote ---

Really? Bold above is electronics. I would think that that would work more on your battery rather than gas.

AC and heat is part of the engine system, right? I'm thinking that anything that deals with the engine would use more gas.

Turning on the radio uses more gas?

Now I'm really confused.

ladyknight1:

--- End quote ---

Yes, the Mythbusters compared one vehicle running A/C, and one running just the fan with the windows open, on a race track. The one just running the fan even with the windows open went a lot farther on the same amount of fuel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version