A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread

<< < (1229/2472) > >>

Optimoose Prime:
My library also uses Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions.  I have a Nook Tablet.  Once you get the hang of it, downloading digital library books is easy.  I can also choose to check out for 7, 14 or 21 days.

jpcher:
RE: Nook & Libraries --

Thank you everybody that responded. ;D

I looked up Mom's library and sent an inquiry to the Librarian. I received quite a lengthy (personal) response explaining all the details (I'll print out the e-mail and give it to Mom along with the gift.)

They are part of a library co-op so there are plenty of books available. They do use Overdrive, and are compatible with Kindle, Nook, even lap-top readers. It sounded like the most difficult part will be the initial set-up/sign-in process and librarian said that if there is any problems at all Mom can just bring her Nook in and they will gladly help her.

So, I think we have a "GO!" for Moms x-mas gift!

Thank you!

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 03, 2012, 04:17:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: Traska AKA Diane on December 03, 2012, 04:14:48 PM ---However, the DSL modem *does* work over a standard phone line.  So your single phone jack would be enough (although they used to require filters... I'm not sure about currently.)

--- End quote ---

I think you still need to add filters for every jack that has a conventional phone plugged in. Or, have the filter put in at the MPE and run a specific unfiltered line to where the DSL modem is plugged in.

--- End quote ---

I am thoroughly and utterly embarrassed for myself  :-[ :-[ :-[.  I didn't know they still made DSL modems and thought cable ones were the only kind...and I call myself a gamer... ::)

Ahem.  I bought a DSL modem and solved the problem for myself. 

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on December 03, 2012, 05:34:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 03, 2012, 04:17:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: Traska AKA Diane on December 03, 2012, 04:14:48 PM ---However, the DSL modem *does* work over a standard phone line.  So your single phone jack would be enough (although they used to require filters... I'm not sure about currently.)

--- End quote ---

I think you still need to add filters for every jack that has a conventional phone plugged in. Or, have the filter put in at the MPE and run a specific unfiltered line to where the DSL modem is plugged in.

--- End quote ---

I am thoroughly and utterly embarrassed for myself  :-[ :-[ :-[.  I didn't know they still made DSL modems and thought cable ones were the only kind...and I call myself a gamer... ::)

Ahem.  I bought a DSL modem and solved the problem for myself.

--- End quote ---

Well!  There you go.

Elfmama:
Why do some cell phone calls sound like the caller is in the bottom of a barrel?  DH can call me on his cell and the sound is crystal-clear.  When DD#2 calls, there is so much reverb that I have to ask her to repeat the bits that I can't make a reasonable guess at.  She can hear me just fine.

DH and I have two older bottom-of-the-line Motorola flip-phones.  DD has a new top-of-the-line Android.  All of us are on Verizon.  So what gives?  Why does the "better" phone have the worst sound?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version