Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1055828 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #6225 on: December 07, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »
Can you have Macs and PCs on the same wifi network?  Can they use the same wireless printer?

Totally not a techie but I don't see why not.  The wifi and the printer are dependent on the software loaded on the computer so as long as the computer has the right software, I don't see why it would matter what kind of computer it is.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6226 on: December 07, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
Have you tried it on a different browser/computer?  I don't know what you mean about the jumble of pictures - I keep a tumblr for a baby scrapbook (SO much easier than remembering to update physical pictures or managing a real blog, plus I can share it with relatives!) and it looks the same to me!

(I do actually know "who to ask," incidentally - the guy who started Tumblr was the best friend of the guy I dated in high school.  It was really weird when I started hearing about this little quirky site he started from my other friends who don't know him - and it's REALLY weird seeing it become this new Facebook/Twitter/etc analogue!)

I don't have another computer so I can't check.  I don't have an account, but what I mean is I'm just looking at general pages, not my own or specific ones.  I go to the main page (www.tumblr.com) and on top is a search tags box and I would type in a subject (say Dance) and pictures/posts of about dancing will pop up, newest on top and you just scroll down for older posts from many different people.  Now it's just a mess of pictures in no order.

Oh well.  I'll just wait for them to update again and hopefully change it back to the way it was.

Vall

« Reply #6227 on: December 07, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
We'll be getting a tree tomorrow (first one in 20 years!).  We have a bow saw but I was wondering how a Sawzall (reciprocating) saw would work for trimming the base.

If you put sugar in the water, how much do you use?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6228 on: December 07, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
Any kind of a saw will work for the base.  Some just work better than others.

Tree preservative recipe: http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/ht/treepreserve.htm
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

wheeitsme

« Reply #6229 on: December 07, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »
We'll be getting a tree tomorrow (first one in 20 years!).  We have a bow saw but I was wondering how a Sawzall (reciprocating) saw would work for trimming the base.

If you put sugar in the water, how much do you use?

Sawzall's are wonderful.  They cut through almost anything and everything.  They would work for trimming the tree base. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6230 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Have you tried it on a different browser/computer?  I don't know what you mean about the jumble of pictures - I keep a tumblr for a baby scrapbook (SO much easier than remembering to update physical pictures or managing a real blog, plus I can share it with relatives!) and it looks the same to me!

(I do actually know "who to ask," incidentally - the guy who started Tumblr was the best friend of the guy I dated in high school.  It was really weird when I started hearing about this little quirky site he started from my other friends who don't know him - and it's REALLY weird seeing it become this new Facebook/Twitter/etc analogue!)

I don't have another computer so I can't check.  I don't have an account, but what I mean is I'm just looking at general pages, not my own or specific ones.  I go to the main page (www.tumblr.com) and on top is a search tags box and I would type in a subject (say Dance) and pictures/posts of about dancing will pop up, newest on top and you just scroll down for older posts from many different people.  Now it's just a mess of pictures in no order.

Oh well.  I'll just wait for them to update again and hopefully change it back to the way it was.

It's coming up normally for me.  I'm guessing it's something wonky about your computer/browser  :(

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6231 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
demarco wrote:

"Can you have Macs and PCs on the same wifi network?  Can they use the same wireless printer?"

Yes, you can have both on one wireless network.  The "language" that computers speak to each other on networks (TCP/IP) is supported by both types you mentioned.  Heck, my house has one network that handles three PCs, two iPods, a Mac laptop, a Wii and a Linux machine.  For printers, as long as the PC has a proper PC driver for the printer and the Mac has a proper OSX driver for the printer, they can both use it.  You can get both drivers from the website of the company that made the printer.

Virg

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6232 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
A wonderful co-worker is currently almost 7 months pregnant and deliriously happy. She is a great person and this is a much wanted child.  However, she is HUGE!!  The doctors have said the baby may end up being 10lbs plus.  Her bump is so big that she is having to carry it with her arms when she walks, but it's getting tiring.
Are there any products/slings that can help support such a huge front load?  Our suggestion of resting the bump on a small trolley and wheeling it around was met with   ::) but we would like to help.

My first was 10 lb 2 oz. I'm 5'5", was pretty tiny back then, and every bit of weight I gained went straight out the front. It was completely ridiculous. I had a belt that did help, but it would often roll up on itself. It was a cheapo from Motherhood Maternity. If I have another big baby like that, I'll buy another belt, but I'll make sure it's much higher quality. I actually have one my chiropractor gave me for some SI joint problems I was having a few months back. I think it would work well for the belly, too.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6233 on: December 07, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
Can you have Macs and PCs on the same wifi network?  Can they use the same wireless printer?

We've been doing it for years...I have a Mac and Eagle has a PC.  We have a wireless printer, too, and that works just fine.  You don't need to do anything special/different from what you would usually do to connect to anything.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

demarco

« Reply #6234 on: December 07, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
Thanks, Virg, Mental Magpie and Outdoor Girl for the wifi info. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6235 on: December 07, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »

Absolutely. We've got a mix at home and a mix at the office. As long as you can find drivers for the printer that run on your particular machine, you should be fine.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6236 on: December 07, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
For any of the Irish we have in our midst, how do you pronounce Mairead? I love the Celtic Woman and that's one of the names I think looks pretty but I don't know how to pronounce it! 

I love the Irish names like that one and Saoirse, and it was one name I considered for a girl because I love what it means but my friend talked me out of it because it would be so hard to pronounce for anyone unfamiliar with Irish pronunciation.   So if he'd been a girl his name would have been Brigid but as it happens, it didn't matter! LOL!

MAH-raid or MUR-raid :).

Thanks! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #6237 on: December 08, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »
A wonderful co-worker is currently almost 7 months pregnant and deliriously happy. She is a great person and this is a much wanted child.  However, she is HUGE!!  The doctors have said the baby may end up being 10lbs plus.  Her bump is so big that she is having to carry it with her arms when she walks, but it's getting tiring.
Are there any products/slings that can help support such a huge front load?  Our suggestion of resting the bump on a small trolley and wheeling it around was met with   ::) but we would like to help.

My first was 10 lb 2 oz. I'm 5'5", was pretty tiny back then, and every bit of weight I gained went straight out the front. It was completely ridiculous. I had a belt that did help, but it would often roll up on itself. It was a cheapo from Motherhood Maternity. If I have another big baby like that, I'll buy another belt, but I'll make sure it's much higher quality. I actually have one my chiropractor gave me for some SI joint problems I was having a few months back. I think it would work well for the belly, too.

My mother is 5'3" and weighed 89lbs before she got pregnant with me (I'm her first biological child, my older sister is adopted).  I weighed 10lbs 9oz.  I can't even imagine how she felt towards the end.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6238 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:27 AM »
Fresh cuts on Christmas trees -- what kind of saw do you need?

We're going to be buying our Christmas tree this weekend, and we'd like to make a fresh cut on the trunk to help it with water uptake.  What kind of saw do we use?  At the lost we used to buy from they'd use a chainsaw, but we don't want to buy a chainsaw to use just once a year.  So what kind of saw do we need?  Is a hacksaw going to be strong enough?

My Dad uses a carpentry type wood saw, like he would use on boards.  I have a bow or Swede saw that I would use.

When you get your tree, put it outside, standing up in a 5 gallon pail of water for a couple days before you bring it in.  It'll help it get hydrated right away.  We always added a little maple syrup to the water (we make our own so it isn't expensive for us) but a little sugar would probably work, too.
I wonder if that works in a warmer climate?

Victoria

Vall

« Reply #6239 on: December 08, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »
Thanks for the green light on the Sawzall.  It will save DH some elbow grease.  I'd like to keep a slice of the base and drill a hole in it and then carve the words "Our first Christmas tree 2012" to use as a tree ornament.

The link for the recipe for the sugar water is great.  We'll definitely be using it.  Now I just have to wait until the stores open so we can go get the tree.